Randy Melvin

This is one of those decisions that make Golden indefensible even for his diehard supporters.

Advertisement
This season is gonna be one lol after another. The laughter helps ease the pain. That and the brown liquor.

Know why the opinions of everyone in this thread are crap?

Anybody remember our opinions on Golden after the initial hire?

I'm still confused after seeing teams using 4-3 defense in NFL... I thought you said they were a thing of the past, remember?

Good hire for UM and safe hire for Golden. Remember this is just a position coach and he has much college and NFL experience. That's all you need here and now with young college players.

If it doesn't work, it will be over in a year and Butch or whomever brings in another crew, maybe even Patrick. At least in that scenario, he's not gone in a year. Probably doing a favor to Partick by not hiring him now.

I don't think it's a good hire or bad hire, it doesn't matter because it's the same scheme. With the same clowns at HC and dc.

Advertisement
Know why the opinions of everyone in this thread are crap?

Anybody remember our opinions on Golden after the initial hire?

LOL Shut the **** up. You are dumbass that was happy that *** kept Dorito because he put his friend above the school.

Was Pete hired by Golden to do PR?

Peter Ariz @PeterAriz · 3h 3 hours ago
From talking to people who are familiar with Melvin, Miami is getting an excellent teacher of the position.

Melvin has been the DL coach of the Patriots, Rutgers, Browns, and Bucs. Has worked closely with Greg Schiano

Miami has enough pure “recruiters” on staff. Melvin is a technician with a ton of experience. I like the hire

From talking to people who are familiar with Melvin, Miami is getting an excellent teacher of the position.

Melvin has been the DL coach of the Patriots, Rutgers, Browns, and Bucs. Has worked closely with Greg Schiano

Miami has enough pure “recruiters” on staff. Melvin is a technician with a ton of experience. I like the hire

he was fired from pats after they won a super bowl.

Advertisement
The guy ******* stinks, make no mistake about it.

But the move is inconsequential. Worrying about it would be like a group of people standing in the ballroom of the Titanic and arguing over what color to paint the walls while the ship sinks.

No, but he also has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to football. Miami people told Pete this was a good hire, probably rambled off a bunch of misguided and well structured "facts" and Pete is convinced it's a good hire. You really think a 20 something year old college student has a wealth of knowledge on the game of football, specifically on who is and isn't a technician? He's been spoon fed info from some "sources" and he trusts what they say.

Advertisement
Oh, and this is a terrible ******* hire. Folden went out and got himself another yes man who he's worked with previously and will run what Folden tells him to run. TERRIBLE. *******. HIRE.

Im actually glad to, it means the same old Folden, nothing has changed. He continues to dig his own grave. I can't wait till this fat fake **** of a coach is finally gone.

He got fierd from a few teams so what that dose not make him a bad coach, guys get fierd left and right in the NFL even the great butch davis got fierd, give the man a chance he only got one year anyway.

Simply put, I don't think it's a bad hire. It's definitely an expected hire. Kareem Brown was / is not ready. Coach Melvin has tons of experience. And I think that Al Golden has been hearing the noise from everywhere, from Chickillo (his own ex player) to all the football aficionados and former UM greats that he has got to change his scheme to the players' strength rather changing these local players to Golden's Penn State Scheme. If indeed Al Golden as far as Al is concerned wants to go a little radical from his own penchant to see more of 4-3 (in trying to be more successful), then would he go with his own guy (that he knows) while he is feeling this more aggressive scheme out? …or shall he try it out with a coach he is unfamiliar with? Would a zebra change his stripes? This Al Golden last tango at UM ! Rather he wins at UM in 2015 and becomes attractive for another gig, or drops games as 2014 and gets fired.

There's no question that Uncle Melvin with his old Fu Manchu face hair (lol) has loads of Football experience coaching the Defensive line, therefore neither UM nor hardly any dead man walking coach could ever go wrong here with that hire now.

Kevin Patrick may have turned out to be another Coach Barrow ending up clashing with Golden in regard to the Temple/PSU philosophy, and Coach Patrick may want to go faster than Golden could ever bring himself to go in changing/tankering the defensive scheme. Uncle Melvin Davis is the ultimate safe choice for not only Golden, but also for our most promising young DTs & Des coming up the ranks who have to transition from 100% lame scheme to more aggressive schemes; no doubt this Coach Melvin has seen it all.

Advertisement
randy-melvin.jpg

you talkin' to me? ARE YOU TALKIN' TO ME?!

Good hire. Has tons of experience which the staff desperately needs. You don't stay in coaching all these years unless you love it and carry a solid reputation...

No, but he also has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to football. Miami people told Pete this was a good hire, probably rambled off a bunch of misguided and well structured "facts" and Pete is convinced it's a good hire. You really think a 20 something year old college student has a wealth of knowledge on the game of football, specifically on who is and isn't a technician? He's been spoon fed info from some "sources" and he trusts what they say.

YES.

Am I the only person who thinks its weird he's been a DL coach for 1033484 years, but never moved on to a Defensive Coordinator position? Even at the collegiate level? Golden does it again. I'm convinced Golden is sabotaging The U.

No, there are plenty of guys who remain position coaches.

Advertisement
Back