Randy Melvin

He sounds more like Greg Schiano's buddy than Golden's. Schiano hired this guy 3 separate times.

I spoke with 2 Guys Who Played DT for this Guy at Rutgers. One Who was on the Team his first stint at RU 02-04 and Another who was there in 2010.

Basically they said what has been talked about already...

He's Really good INTRSUCTOR..... He and Schiano we're a good tandem. BUT.....

Couldn't recruit worth a ****..

Just to reiterate what has already been spoken in this thread by 2 Former Players

JC

So basically Melvin is going to be the Billy Banks of the patty-cake technique.

Man, that's going to be scary watching our DL do an E. Honda of Street Fighter live and in person...

EdmondHonda.gif

Advertisement
How is this guy any different than Jethro who was despised by everyone?

Good question. Jethro was a horrible recruiter. But ****, the **** just got a big promotion to the big leagues so he must be respected in the circles that REALLY matter. What we think on this board doesn't mean **** as evidenced by his hire by the Raiders.

Clearly its the scheme. Maybe this guy is better at teaching the fine nuances of the 3-4 frog stance or something. People keep talking about how he keeps getting fired from everywhere he has been..but no one is mentioning how he KEEPS GETTING HIRED. Esp being a brotha. You usually only get one or two shots at makin it. This guy has gotten a lot. So he must have some knowledge.

I guess I am willing to take the wait and see approach.

More evidence of the mass delusion on this site.

In the business world moving around could be a strategy that backfires on you but it also give you a easy path to the top. I honestly don't know why he has been fired and rehired so many times but it worth discussing. If he only had bad references then how does he keep getting hired? To think that this guy is only getting hired because he is Golden guy is pretty dumb seeing how many other times he has been hired. I appreciate the guys bringing up old player quotes and stuff like that.

Good question. Jethro was a horrible recruiter. But ****, the **** just got a big promotion to the big leagues so he must be respected in the circles that REALLY matter. What we think on this board doesn't mean **** as evidenced by his hire by the Raiders.

Clearly its the scheme. Maybe this guy is better at teaching the fine nuances of the 3-4 frog stance or something. People keep talking about how he keeps getting fired from everywhere he has been..but no one is mentioning how he KEEPS GETTING HIRED. Esp being a brotha. You usually only get one or two shots at makin it. This guy has gotten a lot. So he must have some knowledge.

In the business world moving around could be a strategy that backfires on you but it also give you a easy path to the top. I honestly don't know why he has been fired and rehired so many times but it worth discussing. If he only had bad references then how does he keep getting hired? To think that this guy is only getting hired because he is Golden guy is pretty dumb seeing how many other times he has been hired. I appreciate the guys bringing up old player quotes and stuff like that.

I'm assuming by 'mass delusion' you are referencing our negative view of the current state of the program.

To which I would tell you that, if you disagree with this 'delusion', you are moron.

Advertisement

First off, you don't have to talk to me about the world of business chief. Been there, done that, got the trophies. Retired and lovin' it.

Second off, I have no idea what you are trying to say. Where did I say he is only getting hired because he is Goldens guy? I said for people to keep giving him 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc chances (ESPECIALLY being a black man) is pretty impressive. He must have some wisdom to drop. Who knows.

By the way, I was speaking about Melvin in the second paragraph and Jethro in the first.

bottom line, you can't explain this hire. guy got fired after his team won a super bowl. smh he has 30 years experience and is coaching at FIU?

First off, you don't have to talk to me about the world of business chief. Been there, done that, got the trophies. Retired and lovin' it.

Second off, I have no idea what you are trying to say. Where did I say he is only getting hired because he is Goldens guy? I said for people to keep giving him 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc chances (ESPECIALLY being a black man) is pretty impressive. He must have some wisdom to drop. Who knows.

By the way, I was speaking about Melvin in the second paragraph and Jethro in the first.

agreed with this. not going to go read 10 pages of whining but we are not really qualified to opine on assistant coach hires.

Advertisement
What do you guys want? Make up your minds!! Do you want and expect AG to be fired after next season or not? If so, then who do you expect to come here and work for a lame duck coach?
Do you want and expect who you think the best choice to come and work for one year? An if he does come here and improves the defense which leads to AG winning more games-------->improves his chances to be retained.........is this what you want? You should celebrate him hiring a lousy DL coach, if that what you think of Melvin.

I'm assuming by 'mass delusion' you are referencing our negative view of the current state of the program.

To which I would tell you that, if you disagree with this 'delusion', you are moron.

More evidence of the mass delusion on this site. The logic is simply blinding....

I have to tell you something dude if you think looting veteran and old lady owned stores is cool your wrong and not an american who should leave this country immediately or just after you kill yourself.

I mean WTF? Do you really just make stuff up and then argue against it like its someone else point of view? Don't you see how your brain is just being lazy and taking the easy way out.

And no by mass delusion I mean that people on this site think the answer is as easy as golden is the devil. anyone who works for him is also evil. That the solution is really easy just ask Joe Smo of this site and anyone who feels differently is also in full support of Golden.

Of course I agree that the team is in a state of Fd Upedness. I don't think everything Golden does is the work of the devil. I do want to win every game next year. I don't want to see fans thrashing kids on the site and exacerbating the state we are in. And I really would like some decent dialog on the problems and when you just have to weed threw mostly Golden sucks (I mean we get already) comments to get to some decent dialog it gets lame. We all agree that he has not done a good job and if he doesn't change things around dramatically this year he should be gone. I personally wouldn't mind to see that if we don't win the NC next year, then the new administration goes all in and gets a big time name. I don't want to see Shalala hire one more Miami coach on the pretense of affordability when she is cashing her billion dollar fundraising checks for the medical program and when so many dollars are being left on the table by treating the Miami brand as a second rate football school.

Last edited:

agreed with this. not going to go read 10 pages of whining but we are not really qualified to opine on assistant coach hires.

Read my post again... I was agreeing with you... Saying it so freaking obvious that anyone who doesn't see it is so blinded by the "I hate golden" rhetoric that they are delusional on all matters concerning Miami

Advertisement
What do you guys want? Make up your minds!! Do you want and expect AG to be fired after next season or not? If so, then who do you expect to come here and work for a lame duck coach?
Do you want and expect who you think the best choice to come and work for one year? An if he does come here and improves the defense which leads to AG winning more games-------->improves his chances to be retained.........is this what you want? You should celebrate him hiring a lousy DL coach, if that what you think of Melvin.

Is there some obvious info out there that suggests he is a bad coach? Or are we just saying since Golden hired him and we thought KP was a better choice then that makes him the worst coach on planet earth.

I mean who really knows who is a better coach.

Can someone show me proof that he is a horrible coach that just keeps luckily getting hired over and over again. If not can you state what makes him a bad coach using actual logic.

On some boards they actually discuss things like that.

Is there some obvious info out there that suggests he is a bad coach? Or are we just saying since Golden hired him and we thought KP was a better choice then that makes him the worst coach on planet earth.

Can someone show me proof that he is a horrible coach that just keeps luckily getting hired over and over again. If not can you state what makes him a bad coach using actual logic.

No there is no evidence that he is a bad coach. However if the scheme is not going to change which it appears it is not than what impact is he really going to have? It would have been better for us to get a young guy with energy who recruits can relate to and at the very least could have an impact on recruiting.

Advertisement

No there is no evidence that he is a bad coach. However if the scheme is not going to change which it appears it is not than what impact is he really going to have? It would have been better for us to get a young guy with energy who recruits can relate to and at the very least could have an impact on recruiting.

The DL scheme? Do no teams on planet earth run that same DL scheme with any success? I would think there are as many complaints about not developing kids than there are about the scheme. Regardless of whether you like the schemes for Miami they are used everywhere in the pro game. No matter what scheme you run you need great position developers. I agree it would be nice top put a killer recruiter in this position but cant you use the same logic on that. Our recruiting scheme? Doesn't that need to change or it doesn't matter. Or is KP going to be able to get us some academic exceptions or somehow stop all the Golden negativity or somehow convince kids that this staff is here for the long haul?

Is it just me or did something happen this year to the greatest south Florida recruiter ever, Coley once he landed in Miami. I personally would like to learn from the Coley experience and start getting proven developers and guys who can make game time adjustments on par with other ACC coaches. We may already have enough of the so called greatest recruiter evers on this team in Golden, Coley and Ice to at least start looking at what else the problem could be.

bottom line, you can't explain this hire. guy got fired after his team won a super bowl. smh he has 30 years experience and is coaching at FIU?

Coaches don't get fired after winning Super Bowls; the coordinators get hired away. One N.E. Coordinator got hired as Head Coach and "begged" Coach to go with him for his new team. So Coach Melvin got hired away after S.B.

The DL scheme? Do no teams on planet earth run that same DL scheme with any success? I would think there are as many complaints about not developing kids than there are about the scheme. Regardless of whether you like the schemes for Miami they are used everywhere in the pro game. No matter what scheme you run you need great position developers. I agree it would be nice top put a killer recruiter in this position but cant you use the same logic on that. Our recruiting scheme? Doesn't that need to change or it doesn't matter. Or is KP going to be able to get us some academic exceptions or somehow stop all the Golden negativity or somehow convince kids that this staff is here for the long haul?

Is it just me or did something happen this year to the greatest south Florida recruiter ever, Coley once he landed in Miami. I personally would like to learn from the Coley experience and start getting proven developers and guys who can make game time adjustments on par with other ACC coaches. We may already have enough of the so called greatest recruiter evers on this team in Golden, Coley and Ice to at least start looking at what else the problem could be.
Because what the pros do always translates to the college level, where the rosters consist mostly of kids who will never play in the pros.

Excellent logic.

So I get back from spending more of the money I would have given to THE U and find some dude name Melvin is the new Dline coach. Then I think wasn't Orgeron available? Then I remember, that a real school hired him a couple weeks ago. Al hired Mario when he got fired but never thought Ed might be nice to have around? Was he afraid Ed would run Mark and rest of the Temple girls off the first day on campus? Imagine U Tough with Ed running it.

Advertisement
Back