Randy Melvin

Go look at what Josh Newberg tweeted about Kevin Patrick.

This is a joke

Josh Newberg @joshnewberg247 ·
Kevin Patrick would have been a great hire - he's a Cane, wants to be there long term, excellent recruiter, didn't have to pay a lot for him

fmc.gif

Even if this is a bad hire, what the **** does Josh Newberg know about coaching?

Advertisement
He got fierd from a few teams so what that dose not make him a bad coach, guys get fierd left and right in the NFL even the great butch davis got fierd, give the man a chance he only got one year anyway.
He got fired from a team that won the super bowl. I don't know if that's ever happened in the nfl. He sucked so bad that bellichick thought nothing of it to fire him after winning it all.

Last edited:
Not for nothing but I heard this dude is crazy nasty during practice and his guys are always amped up and play hard for him

Idk. Legit NFL experience. Failed at Cleveland and Tampa but who the **** doesnt? He has a ring with the Pats.

I was fearing we'd get just another recruiter with no legit experience

I'm not mad at this hire. But I just don't get how you don't hire Kevin Patrick?

Maybe this Melvin guy knows the D Golden runs?

Idk. Why do I even give a **** anymore

Advertisement
Uncle Melvin is essentially Jethro Franklin with a longer resume. Honestly, I cant believe we added another clown to the clown show. Look how similar the resumes are. They hop from team to team for very short periods of time excluding their stints with their Alma mater. Why do these guys bounce around? Very simple --- THEY BOTH SUCK! North Carolina for fcuks sake hired Gene Chizik at DC! Even Randy didnt **** up this bad.

Melvin:

1982 - Urbana High School
(Assistant Coach)

1983–1984 - Aurora West High School
(Assistant Coach)

1985–1987 - Aurora West High School
(Head Coach)

1988–1994 - Eastern Illinois
(Defensive Line Coach)

1995–1996 - Wyoming
(Defensive Tackles Coach)

1997–1999 - Purdue
(Defensive Ends Coach)

2000–2001 - New England Patriots
(Defensive Line Coach)

2002–2004 - Rutgers
(Defensive Line Coach)

2005–2008 - Cleveland Browns
(Defensive Line Coach)

2009 - Temple
(Defensive Line Coach)

2010 - Rutgers
(Defensive Line Coach)

2011 - BC Lions
(Defensive Line Coach)

2012-2013 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
(Defensive Line Coach)

2014 - FIU
(Defensive Line Coach)

Jethro:

Team(s) as a coach/administrator
1991-1998 - Fresno State (DL) (alma mater)
1999 - UCLA (Interim DL)
2000-2004 - Green Bay Packers (DL)
2005 - USC (DL)
2006 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers (DL)
2007-2008 - Houston Texans (DL)
2009 - USC (DL)
2010 - Temple (DL)
2011-2014 - Miami (DL)
2015-present - Oakland Raiders (DL)

Advertisement
He got fierd from a few teams so what that dose not make him a bad coach, guys Www get fierd left and right in the NFL even the great butch davis got fierd, give the man a chance he only got one year anyway.
He got fired from a team that won the super bowl. I don't know if that's ever happened in the nfl. He sucked so bad that bellichick thought nothing of it to fire him after winning it all.

Getting feird ain't fatel.

the fact that they placed so much effort in selling this decision tells you how miserably this will fail

Advertisement
Simply put, I don't think it's a bad hire. It's definitely an expected hire. Kareem Brown was / is not ready. Coach Melvin has tons of experience. And I think that Al Golden has been hearing the noise from everywhere, from Chickillo (his own ex player) to all the football aficionados and former UM greats that he has got to change his scheme to the players' strength rather changing these local players to Golden's Penn State Scheme. If indeed Al Golden as far as Al is concerned wants to go a little radical from his own penchant to see more of 4-3 (in trying to be more successful), then would he go with his own guy (that he knows) while he is feeling this more aggressive scheme out? …or shall he try it out with a coach he is unfamiliar with? Would a zebra change his stripes? This Al Golden last tango at UM ! Rather he wins at UM in 2015 and becomes attractive for another gig, or drops games as 2014 and gets fired.

There's no question that Uncle Melvin with his old Fu Manchu face hair (lol) has loads of Football experience coaching the Defensive line, therefore neither UM nor hardly any dead man walking coach could ever go wrong here with that hire now.

Kevin Patrick may have turned out to be another Coach Barrow ending up clashing with Golden in regard to the Temple/PSU philosophy, and Coach Patrick may want to go faster than Golden could ever bring himself to go in changing/tankering the defensive scheme. Uncle Melvin Davis is the ultimate safe choice for not only Golden, but also for our most promising young DTs & Des coming up the ranks who have to transition from 100% lame scheme to more aggressive schemes; no doubt this Coach Melvin has seen it all.

Wait are you actually using logic in this discussion? Did the rules change? I thought it was yet one more thread of the golden sucks drinking game.

I actually don't understand it. Wont this so experienced guy see the obvious flaws that every single poster on this website can see from a mile away but the winner of "be a college coach" lottery al golden cant see without al groh in his head set? Maybe this guy will help Golden understand the basics of a forum optimized defense.

Maybe he will actually help golden win games next year.

Wait do we want to win games next year or not? I keep forgetting after reading all these posts.

I am also confused was the dude that left a good coach or did he suck as well?

Last edited:
So Kevin Patrick, who's the better coach and recruiter, wouldn't have helped Golden win games?

lolz

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/1/16/3885030/buccaneers-fire-defensive-line-coach-randy-melvin

"The Tampa Bay Buccaneers weren't satisfied with the production of their defensive line this season, despite what appeared to be a plethora of talent and one Pro Bowler in the form of Gerald McCtoy. The team has fired defensive line coach Randy Melvin, according to Pewter Report."

He will fit in just fine with our culture of not using talent properly

I know this is an unpopular response..but this doesn't mean anything. Good coaches get fired in the NFL all the time. Some just aren't built for the NFL. They are more suited for the college game.

I don't know anything about this guy. But this tells me that they didn't think Kareem was ready. (which is weird because they thought Beard was..ok..I guess)

And maybe KPatrick turned him down. There was some article someone posted that said he had a nice business going in NTexas.

Not going to bash the guy just yet. It would be hypocritical. If that's the case, we should be bashing his Kevin Beard hire too. What exp does he have besides at the HS level as an assistant coach? (And I liked the KB hire)

I posted the info about Patrick Business endeavors and his medical billing company is based out of south florida. The only reason Patrick went to north texas was the familiarity with the head coach.

Not sure if Patrick turned golden, my thought is that Patrick may have wanted 3 or 4 guaranteed contract to give the next head coach at miami incentive to keep patrick.

Go Canes

Go Canes

Advertisement
Even Josh Newburg is openly calling out Al Golden on hiring Melvin instead of Patrick. Now we can see why Golden has closed spring practice to avoid further media.

Go Canes

how do you guys know he got fired from a team that won the super bowl. i searched on google for that **** for like 15 min

How in the absolute **** do we not hire Kevin Patrick? Seriously it makes perfect sense and here we are with Jethro again. F*CK SAKE MAN! :stephenahand:

Advertisement
Back