Quotes from recruits on Cristobal

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Been seeing some consistent themes with our targets, so I figured I'd compile them. The main theme matches what the anonymous PAC-12 assistants said in the Athletic article. Cristobal is unusually involved in recruiting as head coach:

Malik Bryant '23 (5-star edge)- "Coach [Mario] Cristobal is a hard recruiter," Bryant noted. "Hearing from him everyday, that consistency from him, it's big. That plays a big role in how he recruits. He's just saying that I'm a need and not really a want right now. He's just keeps stressing that to me and my family." - 247

Derrick LeBlanc '23- (4-star EDGE)- While LeBlanc is still very high on the Buckeyes, it sounds like Miami has made a major move in his recruitment ever since Mario Cristobal took over for Manny Diaz in Coral Gables. "He calls me everyday," LeBlanc said of Cristobal. "He just says that they need me to stay in-state and everything. It's cool." -247

Jayden Wayne '23 (5-star EDGE)- "He texts me every day," Wayne said. "Some other coaches do that too with assistant coaches, but the only head coaches that do that with me are Cristobal, Lincoln Riley and Dan Lanning."- Rivals

Payton Kirkland '23 (4-star OL)- "They basically tell me they're going to come after me hard. That's the end of the story. That's it," Kirkland said. "We have a pretty good relationship built. We talked every Thursday and Friday during the season. Actually Coach Mirabal was the first person to call me on Sept. 1. It's been pretty fun getting to know these guys and I'm excited to get down there in a couple of weeks.- 247

Advertisement
Been seeing some consistent themes with our targets, so I figured I'd compile them. The main theme matches what the anonymous PAC-12 assistants said in the Athletic article. Cristobal is unusually involved in recruiting as head coach:

Malik Bryant '23 (5-star edge)- "Coach [Mario] Cristobal is a hard recruiter," Bryant noted. "Hearing from him everyday, that consistency from him, it's big. That plays a big role in how he recruits. He's just saying that I'm a need and not really a want right now. He's just keeps stressing that to me and my family." - 247

Derrick LeBlanc '23- (4-star EDGE)- While LeBlanc is still very high on the Buckeyes, it sounds like Miami has made a major move in his recruitment ever since Mario Cristobal took over for Manny Diaz in Coral Gables. "He calls me everyday," LeBlanc said of Cristobal. "He just says that they need me to stay in-state and everything. It's cool." -247

Jayden Wayne '23 (5-star EDGE)- "He texts me every day," Wayne said. "Some other coaches do that too with assistant coaches, but the only head coaches that do that with me are Cristobal, Lincoln Riley and Dan Lanning."- Rivals

Payton Kirkland '23 (4-star OL)- "They basically tell me they're going to come after me hard. That's the end of the story. That's it," Kirkland said. "We have a pretty good relationship built. We talked every Thursday and Friday during the season. Actually Coach Mirabal was the first person to call me on Sept. 1. It's been pretty fun getting to know these guys and I'm excited to get down there in a couple of weeks.- 247
@Dwinstitles

i listened to a nole pod in like march of this year and they had on ryan bartow. bartow said that during meetings mario would make the whole staff text at least one recruit before they did anything else. i can’t remember the exact words but bartow basically said he’s never seen a recruiter like mario.

edit: i lied. he actually said each staff member had a list of 15 recruits/parents/coaches that they would have to text. he describes what it is like working for mario. jump to the 36:53 mark here’s the link:

Last edited:
Advertisement

Nice post

Advertisement
Going back to my original point about how the players seem to really appreciate that the HC is the person texting them; how in the world do they know it is Mario and not some GA (or some number of GA's) whose only job is to send a text from "Mario's phone" every day?

he needs to use bots to text recruits.
You know Patke would have totally copy pasted something like this if he were still here:

Hi [insert name here],

Congrats on your success at [insert high school here]. You are the top [insert position here] on our board and will be one of the key leaders of the [insert school year here] class. We look forward to seeing you on campus when you officially visit on [insert OV date here].

Regards,
[insert full name and title here]

Going back to my original point about how the players seem to really appreciate that the HC is the person texting them; how in the world do they know it is Mario and not some GA (or some number of GA's) whose only job is to send a text from "Mario's phone" every day?
Probably FaceTimes…. You ever hear the story about how rival coaches found out that GAs were texting for Mullen at Florida and they told recruits to pressure him into a quick FaceTime

i listened to a nole pod in like march of this year and they had on ryan bartow. bartow said that during meetings mario would make the whole staff text at least one recruit before they did anything else. i can’t remember the exact words but bartow basically said he’s never seen a recruiter like mario.

edit: i lied. he actually said each staff member had a list of 15 recruits/parents/coaches that they would have to text. he describes what it is like working for mario. jump to the 36:53 mark here’s the link:
For the Spotify guys.
Play from 36:52

Advertisement

Oh I see, when Cristobal texts and rings constantly it's appreciated and cool. When I do it I get a restraining order.

Advertisement
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Advertisement
Back