Quincy Roche/ Trevon hill what’s the difference

Pretty close. If you move Clemson to the AAC, they're the better conference. I'd say the ACC is probably the better conference top to bottom because the bad ACC teams are much better than the bad AAC teams but the gap isn't that big. It's not a huge jump in competition for guys like King, Roche and Jarrid Williams.

Now that UConn is out of the AAC, it's pretty even, but Clemson obviously is in a league of their own.

Advertisement
Also, Roche has a lot more draft value than Hill because he's a proven commodity at OLB which is where he will play in the NFL. Hill only played as a 4-3 DE and never showed much in terms of run stopping ability or coverage ability.

Also, Roche has a lot more draft value than Hill because he's a proven commodity at OLB which is where he will play in the NFL. Hill only played as a 4-3 DE and never showed much in terms of run stopping ability or coverage ability.
Yes this is true. Didn’t know Roche played OLB. I always thought he was just a rush end. Do you think he’s undersized for an every down rush end?

Yes this is true. Didn’t know Roche played OLB. I always thought he was just a rush end. Do you think he’s undersized for an every down rush end?

Temple plays an odd front 3-4 defense and Roche was the Rush linebacker in their defense. His main talent is rushing the passer so no matter what defense he plays in, his #1 responsibility will be to get after the passer. Still even the best OLB in the NFL still have to drop into coverage from time to time. He's big enough to play 4-3 end in college but his future is 3-4 OLB in the league. With our depth and talent at DE, he won't be relied on to do much besides rush the passer here. Depending on opponent, he might not even be the regular starter opposite Rousseau. Against run heavy teams, especially early in the game or if the score is close, you'll probably see a lot of Jaelan Phillips. If we have the lead or in passing situations, Roche will get a lot more snaps, especially if they move Rousseau inside as much as they did last year. If this team can get leads on opponents, the pass rush is going to be incredible.

To be honest with you I expected more out of hill then what he gave us. MAYBE I expect to much, but hey don't we all expect the very best out of all the players? I think Roche is a different player and will bring a different mindset to the game but I expect him to do a lot more than Hill. Our ends aren't the problem it was our secondary and our DT that need to step up to help the ends more.

Advertisement
Sigh.gif

Aren’t we a little overzealous about the impact Roche is gonna have on defense this season. I don’t see much of a difference between him and Trevon hill. Yeah yeah Roche had 13 sacks In the mediocre AAC which is a huge accomplishment and well noted by pro scouts but why should I be so excited by Roche when we had the same expectations for T Hill coming in.
Hills production at Miami matched his production at VT. He was overhyped by sum in preseason but I expected similar numbers. The problem was Garvin. If garvin took that next step and Hill gave u what he gave u that production would’ve felt a whole lot more impactful ..if Roche does what he did at temple that it’s a boarderline all conference performance

Advertisement
Temple plays an odd front 3-4 defense and Roche was the Rush linebacker in their defense. His main talent is rushing the passer so no matter what defense he plays in, his #1 responsibility will be to get after the passer. Still even the best OLB in the NFL still have to drop into coverage from time to time. He's big enough to play 4-3 end in college but his future is 3-4 OLB in the league. With our depth and talent at DE, he won't be relied on to do much besides rush the passer here. Depending on opponent, he might not even be the regular starter opposite Rousseau. Against run heavy teams, especially early in the game or if the score is close, you'll probably see a lot of Jaelan Phillips. If we have the lead or in passing situations, Roche will get a lot more snaps, especially if they move Rousseau inside as much as they did last year. If this team can get leads on opponents, the pass rush is going to be incredible.
Good stuff. GR , Phillips and Blissett can give you the physicality you need on the edge game in and game out with out worrying about if the have the size at end based on week to week match up. All three are over 6”4. Athletic and physical enough for the run game and rush the passer.

Advertisement
Back