Quincy Roche/ Trevon hill what’s the difference

Hill missed 10 games his final season at VT. He wasn’t physically conditioned and sort of had to get back into shape on the fly, plus he wasn’t cracking that depth chart over Greg or Garvin.
Roche is perhaps conditioned better to make an immediate impact and depth chart is probably favorable for him.

Advertisement
They're not the same person
They're not the same player
They won't be playing the same position
They didn't have the same assignments
They don't have the same play style
They don't have the same production
They don't have the same work ethic
They don't have the same character
They don't have the same mentality
They don't have the same personality
They don't have the same physical build
They don't have the same athletic traits

But besides that, they're exactly alike...
Soooooooooo... You're saying there's the slightest bit of a difference between the two??.. 🤪🤪

Aren’t we a little overzealous about the impact Roche is gonna have on defense this season. I don’t see much of a difference between him and Trevon hill. Yeah yeah Roche had 13 sacks In the mediocre AAC which is a huge accomplishment and well noted by pro scouts but why should I be so excited by Roche when we had the same expectations for T Hill coming in.

Roche was defensive conference player of the year and an All-American. Hill was constantly in the doghouse at Tech.
Only thing I'll say about this thread to try to make some sense of it is that at this point last year, there were publications calling Trevon Hill the best draft prospect in the ACC. In case everyone didn't realize, he didn't even get drafted. So if OP wants to be skeptical of the next transfer, knock yourself out.

However, it has nothing to do with Quincy Roche.

Tate Martell transferred in with a lot of hype and fell flat. So does that mean D'Eriq King will do the same? Same position, transfer, high profile kid. Must mean King is gonna suck too, right? Stupid.

Roche is not Hill. Hill is not Roche. Just because Hill did not perform to the level that was expected has literally zero correlation to what Quincy Roche will do this season.

The difference is Roche was highly productive at Temple. Hill was marginally productive at Tech and in Foster's doghouse. King was highly productive at Houston. Martell had a very good half against Rutgers. Who doesn't? Other than that he was not on the field at Ohio State.

I think it's about time that some UM fans realize the gap between the AAC and the ACC isn't nearly as wide as they like to pretend it is. Especially the Corstal division. People here thinking the AAC is division 2 when the top teams in that conference would probably beat a majority of teams in the ACC outside of Clemson.

Advertisement
I think it's about time that some UM fans realize the gap between the AAC and the ACC isn't nearly as wide as they like to pretend it is. Especially the Corstal division. People here thinking the AAC is division 2 when the top teams in that conference would probably beat a majority of teams in the ACC outside of Clemson.

Or obviously Conference USA.

Or obviously Conference USA.
Miami losing to FIU aside, I think that gap is still a little bigger. Nobody from CUSA would be in contention in the ACC. However if Memphis or UCF played in the Coastal division, they'd be going to Charlotte.

I like to now refer to it as the "Coasting" division which is what we've been doing for 15 years now...hopefully that changes soon.

Corstal was the worst P5 division by a considerable margin last year, by a lot of the advanced metrics. One of the AAC divisions was very close, actually.

Advertisement
Aren’t we a little overzealous about the impact Roche is gonna have on defense this season. I don’t see much of a difference between him and Trevon hill. Yeah yeah Roche had 13 sacks In the mediocre AAC which is a huge accomplishment and well noted by pro scouts but why should I be so excited by Roche when we had the same expectations for T Hill coming in.

You are right, they are identical twins separated at birth.

What is wrong with some of our porsters?

AAC FBS sane difference lol

Conference foes, it doesn't matter what conference, know each other. They knew who was, so you can bet they tried coming up with the best game plan possible to minimize his effectiveness.

He wasn't a new face as he posted 7 sacks in '17 and 6 in `18. I didn't follow him, maybe he had other guys on the line that helped keep double teams off of him this last year, who knows.

Either way, teams couldn't keep him off of their QB. Him paired with GR should allow one man to get off every play as you can't double team them both every down.

13 sacks is always hard to duplicate. Still, you have two guys teams will try and figure out how to handle. Roche will have to prove it and it'll actually be beneficial for him that nobody in conference has seen him. I would personally try and force him and GR outside on every play and test our DT's up the middle. They give these guys inside lanes, they're going to meet at the QB on the regular.

Advertisement
One time we signed a transfer player who didn't pan out so we should never sign another transfer player ever again because they are all the same.

Advertisement
They're not the same person
They're not the same player
They won't be playing the same position
They didn't have the same assignments
They don't have the same play style
They don't have the same production
They don't have the same work ethic
They don't have the same character
They don't have the same mentality
They don't have the same personality
They don't have the same physical build
They don't have the same athletic traits

But besides that, they're exactly alike...

Godfather...bless you

Here’s the problem, that UCONN team had a 3rd rounder that he specifically went up against. His name is Matt Peart...pretty good prospect. He is loved by scouts. That’s why he’s getting first round grades. Reporters aren’t smart enough to make that up. They get intel from personnel guys for that.
Peart is a really good athlete. No doubt. Explosive, long. A RT not a LT though. Doesn't explain why he couldn't come away with a sack against SMU, UCF, UNC, or Buffalo.

UCF had 23 passes, 48 runs... Roche had 5 total (2 solo) no TFL and no sacks.
SMU threw 54 times, ran 55- Roche had 1 tackle.
At least he picked up a TFL (5 tackles) against UNC's 35 passes and 40 runs.
Buffalo 58 runs, 15 passes- 1 tackle for Roche.

Am I saying he's the Butler kid? Absolutely not. He'll out produce Hill on work ethic alone. But if he's a 1st rounder it's going to take more than beating up on a horrible UConn team or making your bones vs USF's disaster of a program.

Peart is a really good athlete. No doubt. Explosive, long. A RT not a LT though. Doesn't explain why he couldn't come away with a sack against SMU, UCF, UNC, or Buffalo.

UCF had 23 passes, 48 runs... Roche had 5 total (2 solo) no TFL and no sacks.
SMU threw 54 times, ran 55- Roche had 1 tackle.
At least he picked up a TFL (5 tackles) against UNC's 35 passes and 40 runs.
Buffalo 58 runs, 15 passes- 1 tackle for Roche.

Am I saying he's the Butler kid? Absolutely not. He'll out produce Hill on work ethic alone. But if he's a 1st rounder it's going to take more than beating up on a horrible UConn team or making your bones vs USF's disaster of a program.
You raise some good points but my thing is why would New England take a kid who many perceive to be a “ drama queen “ or a kid with no “ work ethic”

Advertisement
Back