Question for the fire Manny crowd

If I was the AD my criteria would be a HC that's done it at two programs. Show me someone that's had repeatable success - even if it's at the G5 level.

I've seen too many young, up-and-coming G5 high flyers fizzle out when they get their P5 gig.
I look at it like this, Imo the guy doesn’t have to have HC experience..but experience and success at this level and around high level programs..that means they’ve seen up close how it’s like in that pressure cooker..and then you want them to be intelligent and self aware and not afraid to make changes..what ppl don’t realize is even a Matt Campbell would have to adjust to Miami’s landscape and how to build relationships on the trail down here..it’s not just Xs Os.,that’s what makes Saban great. He makes changes and understands at the end of the day it’s about the talent u have

Advertisement
Well I get that, and I not saying that manny isn’t to be blamed or even let go. But it’s been like this for 20 years now with multiple coach’s. at some point you got to put it on the players to. Losing to FIU is on the players more then the coach’s…not at all comparing manny to belichick, but belichick was run out of Cleveland goes to NE with Brady and is considered the best coach of all time.
The coaches recruit these players. Diaz has been on staff for 6 years. He had the authority to recruit, bench or remove players from the team. How the **** am gonna blame players? We were supposed to blame the players for No D abortion D as well? If you hire 4 bum coaches, u get 4 bum regimes. Why would it be different? 20 years and 4 coaches...ok and how many players?

Yeah that's interesting, and I keep saying his name come up, but he's been absolutely atrocious at every bigger gig he's had, p5 or NFL. Let's see how he does at Ole Miss this year.
Some of you bozos need to be more realistic.

Kiffin is never going to happen for a myriad of reasons. He's also never been in a job, NFL or college, for more than 4 years. Do we really want that?

Fickell is probably going to stay at Cincy now that they are joining the Big 12 and/or will be USC's first call if/when they can Helton given their AD just moved over from there.

Napier will be in an SEC job with the next 24 months.

Campbell has it great at Iowa State so can't see him leaving there for some time. Ohio State is his dream job so maybe he holds out for that gig if Day gets an NFL call.

Freeze is an awful fit culturally and like Napier, is likely holding out for an SEC job.

Cristobal is going to get a look without question but Oregon has the resources to retain him.

The next HC is likely not going to be a coordinator if you follow our hiring trends over the past twenty years, i,e. Shannon to Golden to Richt to Diaz.

Advertisement
Leaving aside the fact that barring a monumental collapse it's not going to happen, and not saying it's the right or wrong thing, who would you want to replace him? Serious question.

Lashlee? Is he ready? Is he even head coach material?

Someone like Robinson because you like his energy in video clips?

Simpson because he's a gray beard who's paid his dues?

Another up and comer at a smaller school, like Al Golden?

Saban ain't walking through that door. Meyer ain't walking through that door. Venables ain't walking through that door.

So who?

I'd have the exact same problem with Lashlee, TRob, and Simpson being hired as I did with Manny being hired. It would be a lazy hire where the coach is learning the HC job while on the job. No bueno.

My biggest issue was not that we hired Manny, it was how we hired Manny. Let's have an actual process where the program/school engages in due diligence on the available options, interviews the options they perceive to be the best, determine which options are viable and what sort of staffs they would/could assemble, and then make an informed decision.

What about Mark Stoops?
He has to be tired of getting raw dogged by UF and UGA now and probably knows he has taken them as far as they can. I would be willing to give him a go to be honest but he might be comfortable keeping them competitive with alot of resources and no title expectations. All their fans care about is when is Basketball season

If we had an admin that wanted to win and a competent AD we could easily get someone like that. Unfortunately we have neither so right now I agree with you.

I'm not sure what you're saying exactly here when you say you could easily get someone like that.

I see a lot of people say competent, an admin and BOT that cares, etc.

Do you think that there's some war chest that we aren't using? If not, you do realize they continually pump people for donations to add to our war chest.

That's what hiring is about by and large. What kind of money can you offer? Not just the head coach, but the staff as well. You couldn't get a big name coach here in his prime if you didn't seriously increase the amounts he'll require to fill out his staff the way he wants to. You've gotta have the funds to even have a discussion.

Could they have spent the same amount of money through the years and gotten better results? Yes, most certainly, but that an entirely different discussion. Having said that, maybe that's what you meant.

Advertisement
I'm not sure what you're saying exactly here when you say you could easily get someone like that.

I see a lot of people say competent, an admin and BOT that cares, etc.

Do you think that there's some war chest that we aren't using? If not, you do realize they continually pump people for donations to add to our war chest.

That's what hiring is about by and large. What kind of money can you offer? Not just the head coach, but the staff as well. You couldn't get a big name coach here in his prime if you didn't seriously increase the amounts he'll require to fill out his staff the way he wants to. You've gotta have the funds to even have a discussion.

Could they have spent the same amount of money through the years and gotten better results? Yes, most certainly, but that an entirely different discussion. Having said that, maybe that's what you meant.
You're saying the Miami gig isn't good enough for someone like Fickell to leave Cincy to come here. ****, Dan Mullen tried to come here twice. Any coach worth his salt would immediately jump at the opportunity to leave a G5 program to be the Miami coach. With the Fickell example, you can't tell me he wouldn't jump at the opportunity to come here rather than languish at Cincy for years on end waiting for the Taint or some other "premier" job to come open. And yes, committed to winning big is more than just throwing money around which we've done plenty of with search committees, premature extensions, etc.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It’s a bloodbath of threads & overreactions everywhere.
00_1205107790.jpg

Yeah that's interesting, and I keep saying his name come up, but he's been absolutely atrocious at every bigger gig he's had, p5 or NFL. Let's see how he does at Ole Miss this year.
In defense of Lane, all those gigs were pre-Saban indoctrination. Problem is if he is successful at Ole Miss the sky is the limit for him $$ wise.

Advertisement
I look at it like this, Imo the guy doesn’t have to have HC experience..but experience and success at this level and around high level programs..that means they’ve seen up close how it’s like in that pressure cooker..and then you want them to be intelligent and self aware and not afraid to make changes..what ppl don’t realize is even a Matt Campbell would have to adjust to Miami’s landscape and how to build relationships on the trail down here..it’s not just Xs Os.,that’s what makes Saban great. He makes changes and understands at the end of the day it’s about the talent u have
Jamey Chadwell.

There you go, problem solved.

Just my opinion but I wish we had Mike Leach at HC an Diaz as the DC should have been pulled the string on Mike he wanted to be here an I'd take him anyday over Coker, Shannon, Golden, Richt, and Diaz his offence with South Florida kids would be a perfect match!

Advertisement
Back