Question for the fire Manny crowd

Matt Campbell. What he has done over the last few years at one of the most abysmal P5 programs in the country has been insane. He owned Tom Herman the entire time he was at Texas, beat Oklahoma twice (once in Norman), and embarrassed Mario and his team of 4/5*s in last year's bowl game. His players always show up in big games, no matter who they play. He is doing this with mostly 2/3* players. Absolutely would kill it here imo. Only concern is, I've heard he is a bit of a tight ***.
I don't know that tight *** is an issue.. if there are results there to back it up.

Advertisement
How is it a dumb question to ask a large segment of the fan base who wants a new coach just who they would have in mind to be that person?
This same question is asked about once a week. It get’s old. There are about 6-7 candidates floating around.

Leaving aside the fact that barring a monumental collapse it's not going to happen, and not saying it's the right or wrong thing, who would you want to replace him? Serious question.

Lashlee? Is he ready? Is he even head coach material?

Someone like Robinson because you like his energy in video clips?

Simpson because he's a gray beard who's paid his dues?

Another up and comer at a smaller school, like Al Golden?

Saban ain't walking through that door. Meyer ain't walking through that door. Venables ain't walking through that door.

So who?
I don't know who but Nobody currently on the staff. That formula has never worked for us.

Gotta see how he does this year but I just don’t think he’s got the stuff. In 2 years we’ve yet to outcoach anybody. At some point, we’d have seen it.

Manny has strengths and has shown some ability to address shortcomings (although others pop up). There’s reasons to talk yourself into it. But nothing matters other than winning football games and he isn’t good at winning football games. I don’t see him getting substantially better at that.

Advertisement
let's be honest, it's not like an interview actually makes a difference to the stooges running um.
stink.jpg

Thank you that's an actual answer. I'm not sold on Fickell on the bigger stage. He looked like a deer in headlights at OSU. But he's certainly building a resume.
To be fair to Fickell he was a coordinator thrown into the HC position w/o any prior experience when Tressell was fired and had to handle the mess that was tattoogate. He still went 6-6 though i believe. I think he's a good coach but seems like a Midwestern guy, so I'm not sure he'd come here.

Matt Campbell. What he has done over the last few years at one of the most abysmal P5 programs in the country has been insane. He owned Tom Herman the entire time he was at Texas, beat Oklahoma twice (once in Norman), and embarrassed Mario and his team of 4/5*s in last year's bowl game. His players always show up in big games, no matter who they play. He is doing this with mostly 2/3* players. Absolutely would kill it here imo. Only concern is, I've heard he is a bit of a tight ***.
Sounds like what cis thought of Scott frost and norvell tbh

Advertisement
Short List.
No idea if they would be interested, but inquire.

Bill O'Brien, Alabama OC
- former Houston Texas HC, Penn State HC, New England Patriots OC

Hugh Freeze, Liberty
- former Ole Miss HC, so familar with $EC.
- carries baggage of serious recruiting and academic violations, personal scandal.

Billy Naiper, Louisiana
Bill Clark, UAB
- both are southern guys

Matt Campbell, Iowa State
Luke Fickell, Cincinnati
- both are midwest guys and may be waiting at future B1G jobs

Probably No:
Mario Cristobal
-- the opportunity to buyout his contract at Oregon has likely passed, unless he has a 'my dream job is Miami' clause reducing the buyout. If there is such a clause he's on the short list.

NO:
Greg Schiano
Lane Kiffin
Art Briles

Last edited:
Recycling coaches every 3 years isn't going to work. We are going to have to get this one out the mud.

I'm confused as to why the "fire Manny" crowd is so confident that UM will make the right hire when the evidence shows that they will not make the right hire.

To be fair to Fickell he was a coordinator thrown into the HC position w/o any prior experience when Tressell was fired and had to handle the mess that was tattoogate. He still went 6-6 though i believe. I think he's a good coach but seems like a Midwestern guy, so I'm not sure he'd come here.
Fickell was only a placeholder HC until Meyer was available the following year. Ohio State lost a handful of top players from the scandal. I wouldn't even consider this on his resume. Would not be surprised if he's waiting to see if Ryan Day returns to the NFL and the OSU job opens up.

Advertisement
Yawns… same question to the people that want Manny fired. Same question y’all asked when Richt needed to be fired and look who we hired. Someone gets hired, you think we’ll run a team without a HC. Give me Freeze let’s go.

I honestly don’t even know what’s realistic anymore

was always on the Matt Campbell bandwagon but that somehow seems out of our league

I was intrigued with Neal Brown. Curious to see how he does at WVU

Advertisement
Sounds like what cis thought of Scott frost and norvell tbh
I hear what you are saying to a point. Unlike Iowa St, neither UCF nor Memphis beat P5 teams week in and week out, particularly on the road. And look at his record at Toledo, before he went to Iowa St.

Too early. Wait until next year. Manolo will be gone by Dec 2022 is my prediction…

Hope I’m wrong..

Firing and hiring a new coach is completely futile unless it follows a change higher up in the administrative food chain. If you don't like Manny, unless you acknowledge that him being here is a product of a bigger systemic problem with the University's approach to football, then you're not really serious about the discussion.

Advertisement
Back