Question about recruiting

Advertisement
Before Morris had his personal issues, the question was "national seed or regional host?" Now it's "do we have a team that can make the tournament?"

"Make the tournament"??????? Good lord. You don't realize how low your own personal standards are. We are now men's basketball. "If we beat Virginia, we will be in good shape to make the tournament!!!!"

I knew this is what you would say before you said it.

What's illuminating is that this is your response to every round of the postseason.

College World Series is met with the same exasperation.

Advertisement
Before Morris had his personal issues, the question was "national seed or regional host?" Now it's "do we have a team that can make the tournament?"

It's interesting to see the evolution of your claims over the years.

First, it was Turtle Thomas leaving being the reason why we declined. Then you zeroed in on Lazer leaving being the culprit. Jim Morris couldn't do anything on his own!

(Even though Miami is one of the tops in the country in CWS appearances in the years since both of their exits)

Now, it was his "personal" issues.

So let's review your ****amamie theories....

Dade County players are "soft"
Soft-tossing lefties
Turtle gone
Lazer gone
Pitching regression

Not to mention your unmitigated love for these coaches...

Rob Cooper
Mike Martin
Greg Lovelady
Mark Kingston
Tracy Smith
Mervyl Melendez

Not a national championship among them and a lot of losing seasons included.

Jagr: JD’s pitching stats are getting worse.

Response: Yeah but Pat Casey missed the tournament in 2004.

Jagr: JD’s pitching stats are getting worse.

Response: Yeah but Pat Casey missed the tournament in 2004.

Another lie.

Not surprising.

You went out on a silly limb and literally the first person I thought of shot your claim to pieces.

Now, you just lie to avoid it.

Check out the spike in tuition costs at UM from 2000 to 2016.

If you don’t understand how much of a factor this is when figuring out what happened and will continue to be a big part of issues going forward then you’ve jumped way ahead of yourself.

Advertisement
Check out the spike in tuition costs at UM from 2000 to 2016.

If you don’t understand how much of a factor this is when figuring out what happened and will continue to be a big part of issues going forward then you’ve jumped way ahead of yourself.

There’s the tuition excuse, right on schedule. I’m surprised Andrew didn’t get to it first.

We missed the tournament two years in a row....

But tuition, 2001.

One guy: there’s nothing wrong with our recruiting.

Next guy: we can’t get the guys we want because of tuition.

Same team, same board.

Advertisement
This is so overblown.

On the rosters of the top 10 RPI teams, which consists of approximately 300 players, here is the list of kids from Dade/ Broward/ Palm Beach:

Chase Costello, a freshman at LSU who has an 8.38 ERA over 9.2 innings
Isaiah Thomas, a freshman at Vanderbilt who has batted six times
Julian Infante, a senior at Vanderbilt who is batting .203

That's it. That's the south Florida contribution to the best teams in baseball. Three players, none of which is having any impact. And only one of those is from Dade. Those teams have no need for south Florida players, and they are better than us.

The original poster is exactly right. The best teams find players from anywhere. Vanderbilt has more players from the great baseball state of Illinois than they do from south Florida.
I think there are a couple of reasons for the drop off behind teams like Vandy, etc.

First of all, a lot of top draft pics out of HS are from Florida. Morris would have had top 5 recruiting classes his last 2-3 years if his recruits weren't drafted so high and signed pro contracts.
Secondly,, the talent in Florida is getting spread out. UF is getting guys that would have gone to UM or FSU years ago. Schools like UCF, FGCU, and FAU are getting their fare share of talent as well.

Lastly, these kids in the Midwest don't get to play as much baseball as kids down South so they are less polished and are not drafted out of HS so they tend to go to college rather than sign a pro contract for small money. So, at the college level, you wind up with some really good talent in the Northern kids. Kids in the South play twice as many games as Northern HS kids. Northern kids will develop later when they're playing a similar number of games.

Even pro scouts will factor in if a kid played college/high school baseball in the North because those players tend to have not reached their full potential. So, the thought process is if you have two kids with similar abilities and numbers, take the kid from the North because he has a higher ceiling since his similar accomplishments were done in about half the time/games as the kid in the South.

There’s the tuition excuse, right on schedule. I’m surprised Andrew didn’t get to it first.

We missed the tournament two years in a row....

But tuition, 2001.

I personally saw it influence the decision my own nephew, a local blue chip player who went on to crush it in college, had to make.

Tuition at Miami has more than doubled in the last 15-20 years and almost $10,000 in the last 10. There’s a huge difference between a a lower tiered $20-$30 a year school offering you a half ride and $66k a year school giving you 25%. Right now there are probably half a dozen ranked DII schools. Tampa, Nova Southeastern, St Thomas, West Florida are just a few of the schools that have built powerhouse programs with great facilities and great exposure for their players.

So yes I know it’s a factor for kids like him of which there are dozens. They are smart. They want to play early, be part of a winner and not get saddled with debt.

But using the lazy term “excuse” for what you don’t understand is cool too though.

Advertisement
And as far as the three or four remaning private powerhouses go, let's play a litte game:

When it comes to academic ranking and prestige compared to tuition cost, which one of these four does not belong:

1) Vanderbilt
2) Stanford
3) Miami
4) Duke

Answer____

So yes I know it’s a factor for kids like him of which there are dozens. They are smart. They want to play early, be part of a winner and not get saddled with debt.

Jagr has to lie about this even though its obvious that finances are a factor in recruiting.

Nobody said we can't compete or can't get the guys we want.

It's just a factor in the recruitment of many players when it's not a factor for other schools.

Jagr has to lie about this even though its obvious that finances are a factor in recruiting.

Nobody said we can't compete or can't get the guys we want.

It's just a factor in the recruitment of many players when it's not as big a factor for other schools.
FIFY

I really dont get why anyone would complain about recruiting right now. Last 2 years have gone very well, and our 2019 is loaded with great prospects and we're only going to lose 2-3 to the draft. Future classes are stacked too.

We actually have 5 guys on our roster ranked in the top 70 MLB draft prospects for 2020 alone (Zamora, McMahon, Cecconi, Gil, Toral). We've had some pretty brutal close losses this year. But nobody who isnt a troll could deny we have the type of talent a Miami roster should have

Advertisement
Back