Question about recruiting

2019 for the dummy.

Texas and Florida each (and California of course) have more players in the majors than NY, NJ, IL and MA combined. That's embarrassing with the population of and baseball tradition in those states. I get the climate part, but come on. What are these boys doing in the spring and summer months?

Advertisement
The one thing I remember about our recruiting in baseball is we always had top talent committed to us, but then would get drafted high in the MLB draft and go to MLB which I totally understand.

Many may not remember that famous 2012 signing class had Carlos Correra, Albert Almora and Nick Travisio all in it. All of them utlimatly signed Major league contracts. They went #1, 6 and 14 overall in the MLB draft that year.

The one thing I remember about our recruiting in baseball is we always had top talent committed to us, but then would get drafted high in the MLB draft and go to MLB which I totally understand.

Many may not remember that famous 2012 signing class had Carlos Correra, Albert Almora and Nick Travisio all in it. All of them utlimatly signed Major league contracts. They went #1, 6 and 14 overall in the MLB draft that year.

They seem to have rectified this somewhat. We need to solve the scholarship limitations. If they increased them to 17, we would be unstoppable. We will never be able to implement 'Operation Vanderbilt'.

We should make it to Omaha once in the next three years. That helps immensely with recruiting. Seems like they are going to announce new additions to the Park. Am hoping its not just batting cages. I was told that they secured funds for elite batting cages, but are hoping for a sizable new initiative (i.e. not just the cages).

If the NCAA went to 17 scholarships, everyone would get 17 scholarships. Miami can't decide on our own to add 5.3 scholarships.

Advertisement
Vanderbilt's endowment applies to all Vanderbilt students. So if you have a plan to fund the tuition for all UM students, then yes, we can give more financial aid to baseball players.

Believe we also had Yelich and Castellanos committed to us in the year's they came out of HS.

I was just about to say that about Yelich

They seem to be more realistic now. I was told that they worried too much about being able to provide the promised scholarships in case these elite talents arrived. Now they tell the ones not likely to be drafted that they will fund an expected MLB draft pick if they have to. They also said that 2-3 players arrived in Gables that they did not expect, but the ones that had their allotment lowered seemed "ok with it".

The 11.7 scholarships is egregiously unfair. If you Google: "Dedeaux USC Baseball NCAA scholarships", you will find a treasure trove of articles about him lambasting the reductions. Mind you that they were at 19+ when he was winning and declined to 11.7 by the time he retired.

Advertisement
They seem to be more realistic now. I was told that they worried too much about being able to provide the promised scholarships in case these elite talents arrived. Now they tell the ones not likely to be drafted that they will fund an expected MLB draft pick if they have to. They also said that 2-3 players arrived in Gables that they did not expect, but the ones that had their allotment lowered seemed "ok with it".

The 11.7 scholarships is egregiously unfair. If you Google: "Dedeaux USC Baseball NCAA scholarships", you will find a treasure trove of articles about him lambasting the reductions. Mind you that they were at 19+ when he was winning and declined to 11.7 by the time he retired.

The big state schools, and their vast alumni base, don't like it when the private schools dominate academics AND athletics.

I have never understood the stark differences and inconsistencies that apply to college baseball.

MLB is the highest-grossing/highest-paying sport. College Baseball can't get a national TV contract.

MLB is one of the primary links when you go to ESPN.com, the box scores are carried in every newspaper sports section. Try to find College Baseball on ESPN.com, let alone your local newspaper.

MLB has merchandise in every sporting goods store, every Lids, all over the internet. It's nearly impossible to find College Baseball specific merch.

Then you deal with the scholarships. And in a sport where 18 year olds become sudden millionaires, we treat the College Baseball game poorly. We only offer 11.7 scholarships for 27 players. We (used to) use aluminum bats because wooden bats were too expensive. We only have 3 paid coaches for a team that is twice as big as a basketball team.

It's all ridiculous.

College baseball is failing. It may not look like it, but it will become irreversible if we do not build interest via TV contracts and if we do not spend some money on coaching and facilities and scholarships and equipment. And that is not a UM issue, that is a College Baseball issue.

Advertisement
Back