Quarterman

I don't get the criticism that Shaq is getting. Maybe right now he's not playing like Jon Vilma but he's still a very solid player on our defense. If he was the weak link then maybe but he is definitely not the problem on D. As fans we should focus our outrage at the things that will definitely make a positive impact for the team right away.

Apparently these coaches listen to Media. Manny gets criticized for kicking a field goal against Florida and then he goes for it in a similar situation against North Carolina. Dan is criticized for not playing enough receivers and then after North Carolina his press conference says that that was one of the big goals for the game. Right or not it's usually not a good thing to see coaches react this quickly to certain criticisms but since they're doing it we may as well be productive. I wouldn't be surprised if the next fourth-and-long situation we play a prevent defense and then of course the coach will come back there and talk about numbers or something like that saying that we should call that prevent defense as an excuse.

Advertisement
More disappointed in Pinckney to be honest

This. In the grand scheme of things a critique of our LB corps is pretty low on my personal priorities but I'd have to agree that Pinck has underperformed more than Shaq. Perhaps expectations were always too high based on who we were comparing them to.

A kid like Perryman could've played in any era of Canes championship football. Obviously Dan Morgan could've too. We were probably aiming too high in making that the bar for our current group.

Are we finally going to talk about his lack of athleticism or are we still in love with his interviews?

His lack of speed/coverage is a problem. Always out of position.

I also think his physicality is overrated. 3 years as a starter - name one big hit. Name one time he’s tee-d off on someone to the point where you thought “****, that’s a Miami LB.”

Seems like he’s a high character guy. That’s awesome (I mean that sincerely). But as a Miami LB, he’s not close to our standard.

Average coaching for three years & now horrible coaching as a senior.

Advertisement
The scheme we run calls for him to be explosive and sideline to sideline. He is unfortunately neither. I'm sure he would look all world in some other defenses but he will simply look average-good in ours

Are we finally going to talk about his lack of athleticism or are we still in love with his interviews?

His lack of speed/coverage is a problem. Always out of position.

I also think his physicality is overrated. 3 years as a starter - name one big hit. Name one time he’s tee-d off on someone to the point where you thought “****, that’s a Miami LB.”

Seems like he’s a high character guy. That’s awesome (I mean that sincerely). But as a Miami LB, he’s not close to our standard.
Yeah I was kinda turned off when shaq and pickney had clean shots at Howell and pickney tackles howells ankles on that one sack and quarterman had one where he just grabbed his legs. GOT DAMMIT RUN THROUGH SOME BODY AND LET HIM KNOW YOUR THERE!

Shaq tries at times to guess his gaps in term of where he thinks the rb is going to be and end up allowing plays a little bit too much and gets out of place at times.

The thing is Pinckney is even more inconsistent than shaq which obviously isn’t good for us

Nah Pinckney played a good game against UNC... it’s only two linebackers on the field they have to play gap assignment too much instead of attacking. If we ran a 4-3 Shaq and Pinckney would shine.

Most linebackers we praise before at UM wouldn’t look the same in this system either... it’s not Linebacker friendly which is why every 4-2-5 defense in cfb history has no quality linebackers playing for them and eventually runs into linebacker depth issues bc no real linebacker wants to play in it.

The stars are suppose to be the dline and secondary in this defense.... the linebackers just are the anchors doing all the grunt work with little to show for it in the stats department.

Nah Pinckney played a good game against UNC... it’s only two linebackers on the field they have to play gap assignment too much instead of attacking. If we ran a 4-3 Shaq and Pinckney would shine.

Most linebackers we praise before at UM wouldn’t look the same in this system either... it’s not Linebacker friendly which is why every 4-2-5 defense in cfb history has no quality linebackers playing for them and eventually runs into linebacker depth issues bc no real linebacker wants to play in it.

The stars are suppose to be the dline and secondary in this defense.... the linebackers just are the anchors doing all the grunt work with little to show for it in the stats department.
I’m just talking their game in general not just the unc game where they played better than they did vs uf

Advertisement
Patke and Banda have no business on a college staff. 100% amateur hour.
would love to know what conclusions you are drawing day to day that lead you to this ****? So banda has two safeties that make the NFL, including one that wasn't highly recruited. We have the #1 passing defense in college ball last year, partly cause of safeties. But enlighten everyone as to what you see every day that leads to this conclusion, other than group think stupidity that every just spews.

Shaq tries at times to guess his gaps in term of where he thinks the rb is going to be and end up allowing plays a little bit too much and gets out of place at times.

The thing is Pinckney is even more inconsistent than shaq which obviously isn’t good for us
@brock That's the point....No Gap integrity whatsoever...This is what used to Drive Shannon crazy back in the day...

would love to know what conclusions you are drawing day to day that lead you to this ****? So banda has two safeties that make the NFL, including one that wasn't highly recruited. We have the #1 passing defense in college ball last year, partly cause of safeties. But enlighten everyone as to what you see every day that leads to this conclusion, other than group think stupidity that every just spews.
Banda didn't recruit Jaquan Johnson or Sheldrick Redwine to Miami. Jaquan Johnson had tremendous football instincts long before Banda came into his football life. That was not taught by Banda. Redwine is a player who is far more athletic, aggressive, and willing than he is technical. He does not make up for others' errors the way Jaquan did and is not nearly as reliable when left on an island. But fine, at least Banda didn't tank the careers of these two. That's a plus.

Banda is not a recruiter. Banda was led around like a blind poodle in recruitment by Jobe. Flew up to Connecticut, got the kid into school, but couldn't see the most blatantly obvious fact, namely, that the staff was getting used. This is a poor allocation of recruiting resources and a terrible recruiting result. Banda failed to land Tyrique Stevenson. We have recruited so poorly that Bobby Knowles is playing large numbers of snaps as soon as one safety goes down. That same Knowles, while not as disastrous as last year, had his head in the sand on the 2 pt conversion and can't close on tackles, whether another player was beaten or he was too slow where he was supposed to be the guy.

Banda is now co-defensive coordinator (more responsibility than he has ever had) on a defense that has clearly regressed from last year. It hasn't regressed merely due to the loss of experienced players, but due to play calling and the modifications in scheme from last year. Where are the timeout calls when needed? Why was Amari Carter hung out to dry in coverage? Why was Carter pulling a stupid move that got him ejected last game?

Gurvan Hall is by far the most highly rated safety recruit landed during Banda's tenure. He's totally lost so far this year. In fact, both safeties have been so lost at times that it is difficult to know who screwed up more royally on UF's deep ball that burned us after the missed FG. This is at least partly on scheme. That is at least partly on development. That is at least partly on your co-DC/Safeties coach.

Right now, our safeties don't tackle consistently in the open field. Poor evaluation and poor development. Can improve with scheme.

His recruiting sucks, his tactics suck given his personnel, and his in-game adjustments suck. Maybe when Bubba Bolden gets eligible, he'll fix all that. But maybe Bolden won't be eligible, because Banda couldn't do for him what he did for Jobe.

@brock That's the point....No Gap integrity whatsoever...This is what used to Drive Shannon crazy back in the day...
Our defense puts LBs in spots where they have to make very quick decisions, i.e., cover a pass catcher in space vs. crash a gap, crash A gap vs. B gap, etc. And, as several people have pointed out on this board, our LBs guess wrong with too much frequency. There may also be something to the argument that Shaq doesn't have the necessary lateral quickness to make up position as well.

Advertisement
Quality kid, knows the defense, high character......BUT too slow, too big, can’t change direction and get sideline to sideline like a stud MLB, limited athletically...lacks suddenness
Maybe he knew entering the draft meant end of playing career...if you like the game, grab one more year while you can.

Advertisement
Miami was never about recruiting savages (meaning 5*s). Ray Lewis was a late addition and at the time undersized. There are countless other that have switched positions. It didn't become waiting for the next superstar until Coker started recruiting off lists.
Yeah, I think I saw Lewis on recruiting lists as a safety. Didn't pay much attention to him at the time because it looked like he was heading to FSU.

When you think of a great Miami defense.

You think about DT that can't be blocked. No matter how many guys you throw at em.

LB that fill gaps and put RB on life support. LB that can drop in coverage and stay with the best of them.

S that drop the hammer on opposing WR/RB. S that can cover your best guy one on one.

That won't be found on this team.

Advertisement
Back