Quarantine Series: The Player YOU Missed On

He was clearly over-rated, is the thing. He was nowhere near as athletic as a top cb needs to be. He had good technique and decent athletocism and so looked good on the camp circuit, but it was a mis-leading perspective.
I was never crazy about him coming out of Miramar, I thought he was a good player but never looked like an elite 5-star to me. He had a slow 3-cone shuttle which showed because he had very little lateral quickness despite having good straight line speed. Also had a low vert, which meant he had very little explosion.

Of course due to his ranking you take him & see what happens, but he never should've been ranked that high.

Advertisement
I was never crazy about him coming out of Miramar, I thought he was a good player but never looked like an elite 5-star to me. He had a slow 3-cone shuttle which showed because he had very little lateral quickness despite having good straight line speed. Also had a low vert, which meant he had very little explosion.

Of course due to his ranking you take him & see what happens, but he never should've been ranked that high.
Yep. Not that big, not that long. Lack of explosion. He was a take, but not an elite athlete, which a top rated cb needs to be.

He’s a good case study for evals, actually, because he shows what it takes to look good on the camp corcuit. It’s not that those things aren’t real or don’t translate, but they’re not enough to project a kid too far down the road. Howard had good balance, posture, form, decent hips, and he didn’t embarrass himself in the 1-1s. He was a perfectly decent corner, but a 3* athlete not a 5* kid.

Marcus Forston was the most surprising bust.

I thought Stephen Morris was going to take off after his last spring. Guy was lights out and had a great performance in the spring game. Injuries and lack of focus hurt him, along with accuracy issues.
Was scrolling through to see who was mentioned before I answered, but Forston and Aldaruis Johnson - basically that whole 2008 MNW class - were the first guys to pop into my head.

I only started following recruiting around 2007, so anyone prior to that would be based off time at UM, rather than recruiting hype.

Advertisement
I remember people defending Howard a lot. “Oh they never let him play man to man” they did. And he got beat a lot. Had a short go in the league as a safety so that’s still better than most.

I specifically remember having arguments on here about how the coaches "ruined" Howard.

"When he gets to the league and gets real coaching blah blah blah."

Advertisement
This thread is depressing.

PLAYERS I WAS WRONG/SURPRISED ABOUT
Dyron Dye. Swore that kid was a size/speed freak.
Lawrence Cager. Never seen a WR that big with such good feet (in person).
Stacy Coley. I thought for sure he'd be a 1st rounder. Coached against him and saw him play live many times.
Jon Garvin. I was positive that he would be a 1st round draft pick.
Marcus Forston. SMH. Just SMH.
Clive Walford. I thought he was terrible but he got drafted and was contributing in the NFL until recently.

PLAYERS I WAS RIGHT ABOUT
Jelani Hamilton. Kid even looked soft on his highlight tape. He had plays on there where he was getting blown off the ball.
Jacolby Brissett and every other "gem" Defensive Lineman offered by Golden/D'Onofrio.
Tracy Howard. Coached against him. I knew he was a savvy player but physically limited.
Braxton Berrios, although he had a memorable senior year.
Tommy Streeter. The size/speed combination had people thinking he'd be a first rounder but I knew he got in/out of breaks like a 57 year old obese woman.

This thread is depressing.

PLAYERS I WAS WRONG/SURPRISED ABOUT
Dyron Dye. Swore that kid was a size/speed freak.
Lawrence Cager. Never seen a WR that big with such good feet (in person).
Stacy Coley. I thought for sure he'd be a 1st rounder. Coached against him and saw him play live many times.
Jon Garvin. I was positive that he would be a 1st round draft pick.
Marcus Forston. SMH. Just SMH.
Clive Walford. I thought he was terrible but he got drafted and was contributing in the NFL until recently.

PLAYERS I WAS RIGHT ABOUT
Jelani Hamilton. Kid even looked soft on his highlight tape. He had plays on there where he was getting blown off the ball.
Jacolby Brissett and every other "gem" Defensive Lineman offered by Golden/D'Onofrio.
Tracy Howard. Coached against him. I knew he was a savvy player but physically limited.
Braxton Berrios, although he had a memorable senior year.
Tommy Streeter. The size/speed combination had people thinking he'd be a first rounder but I knew he got in/out of breaks like a 57 year old obese woman.

You didn't think Berrios would be good and you think you were proven right?

Advertisement
You didn't think Berrios would be good and you think you were proven right?

I didn't think he'd be as good as people on here thought he'd be. And I was right.
He was serviceable. And even that took him 3+ years.
He was a great Cane though.

I didn't think he'd be as good as people on here thought he'd be. And I was right.
He was serviceable. And even that took him 3+ years.
He was a great Cane though.

I disagree with saying his senior season was just serviceable. He was the leading receiver on Miamis 1st 10 win season in forever. Kid was Mr. Reliable on returns- no worries about fumbles and he was fearless going across the middle. He took HUGE shots but kept plugging along. He validated the expectations his senior season. He wouldn't have been drafted if his senior season was merely serviceable.

I'm sure we all have a player that we thought was going to be the next (insert any UM HOF'er here).

Who is the one player that you held near and dear (maybe, as a freshman), and then this player -- for one reason or another -- didn't pan out like you had hoped? And why?

I'm going with Tyriq Mccord(highlights). I thought guy was a 1st round pick based on his frame and aggression and twitch. Turns out, he wasn't the fastest or the strongest. And not many 240 pound lineman make an NFL roster.

mine is Jamal Reid, dude was so hyped up by people near the program and ended up not doing ****.

but the easy answer is Willie Williams

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back