Quan Muhammad just posted a video to his instagram

Advertisement
So, if he can't hold-contain AND can't 2-gap, what can he do?

When you 2-gap, you are holding and containing. You just stated the action and result of the scheme.

As evidenced by his recent draft stock improvement, he shows that he can get up the field and makes plays in the backfield. At the very least he can be consistently disruptive in the right setting and he can disturb the edge and corner line settings. That's one activity he can do.
ok, my point is that even in a 4-3, he still would be responsible for containing the edge. There are many different ways to run 3-4 and 4-3. Just because a player is asked to be disruptive and get up field doesn't mean he can forget about containing the edge. Again there are many different ways to 3/4,4/3, one gap, two gap, hybrid, .......

You said he isn't a hold contain player. My point is......that's the defensive ends primary responsibility....in almost all schemes.

I fundamentally disagree with portions of your response.

"Containing the edge," is a much more broad term that I think you're making it out to be. You can contain it by running hard into the tackle, coming to a dead stop, and trying to read and make a play from there. Or, and this example goes for Chickilo, you can attack the edge, get a tackle off balance or having to be reactionary, and shrink the edge entirely by attacking with speed.

He isn't a hold-contain player. That much is obvious. I'll classify him as an attack and contain player if that definition suits you better. "Contain," is a broad term. "Hold," is not.

You pretty much agreed with me and made my case for me but with a difference on the need to hold versus contain definitions.

I don't disagree that he was misused. Part of the misuse has to do with Al trying to fit square pegs in round holes. He didnt have the personnal for his system. Chick was the best player to fill that role.

Anyway, I was just playing devils advocate. Just because we all hate Golden, doesn't mean we can't have a **** discussion.

I thought our discussion was pretty civil and actually had some football analysis involved.

I agree that Chickilo was the best player he had to fit the system which just speaks to how he had no players to fit the system. That we clearly agree on wholeheartedly. It just took us different routes to express it.

When you 2-gap, you are holding and containing. You just stated the action and result of the scheme.

As evidenced by his recent draft stock improvement, he shows that he can get up the field and makes plays in the backfield. At the very least he can be consistently disruptive in the right setting and he can disturb the edge and corner line settings. That's one activity he can do.
ok, my point is that even in a 4-3, he still would be responsible for containing the edge. There are many different ways to run 3-4 and 4-3. Just because a player is asked to be disruptive and get up field doesn't mean he can forget about containing the edge. Again there are many different ways to 3/4,4/3, one gap, two gap, hybrid, .......

You said he isn't a hold contain player. My point is......that's the defensive ends primary responsibility....in almost all schemes.

I fundamentally disagree with portions of your response.

"Containing the edge," is a much more broad term that I think you're making it out to be. You can contain it by running hard into the tackle, coming to a dead stop, and trying to read and make a play from there. Or, and this example goes for Chickilo, you can attack the edge, get a tackle off balance or having to be reactionary, and shrink the edge entirely by attacking with speed.

He isn't a hold-contain player. That much is obvious. I'll classify him as an attack and contain player if that definition suits you better. "Contain," is a broad term. "Hold," is not.

You pretty much agreed with me and made my case for me but with a difference on the need to hold versus contain definitions.

I don't disagree that he was misused. Part of the misuse has to do with Al trying to fit square pegs in round holes. He didnt have the personnal for his system. Chick was the best player to fill that role.

Anyway, I was just playing devils advocate. Just because we all hate Golden, doesn't mean we can't have a **** discussion.

I thought our discussion was pretty civil and actually had some football analysis involved.

I agree that Chickilo was the best player he had to fit the system which just speaks to how he had no players to fit the system. That we clearly agree on wholeheartedly. It just took us different routes to express it.

Chad Thomas is a 2 gap 3-4 DE, that is a travesty.

Let me dispel something here. Nobody in their right mind is saying Chickilo is the next JJ Watt. He isn't.

But the ultimate fact of the matter is that since Chickilo has been away from Golden, D'Onofrio, and the staff, his draft stock has done nothing but rise and rise quickly. He has a distinct ceiling. He isn't some future Pro-Bowler. He's not really even an immediate impact player. But since he has slimmed down and gotten away from the hold-contain scheme and been allowed to rely more on athleticism and aggression like he did in high school and his freshman year, he's upped himself in the draft and he did so against high caliber seniors in the East-West Game that was full of future NFL players and some of a high round level.

If he had been allowed to play as such from the beginning, he would be rated higher in the draft. That's all there is to it. He was never the next Danny Stubbs or Jadeveon Clowney and the people saying he was have a ***** loose but the people saying that he topped out in college or that he's not all that good are just being disingenuous and trying to pretend he's not NFL caliber in the first place. Had he ben allowed to get up the field and play fast, he'd be a high 4th round pick at his peak. As of now and what he's attempted to show in the last two months to overcome the last three years, he's a 6th round and very slimly 5th round pick.

Like I said before, he's done nothing but improve his draft stock. And while that is commendable it's not proof that he was misused. Granted, the possibility is there, but we don't have any real evidence of that yet.

The evidence is that his most productive season was his freshman season before we went full Tempe-defense.

Dorito talking about Quan on Canesport.....

"He's more fluid. His drops have been good, improved."

Lawd have mercy

Advertisement
Love how this thread got derailed from Quan's practice film where he owns Jones to a battle over Chick.

That's what happens when you have fans who constantly love to bash the players to save the coaches. It's one of the most disgusting things I have seen around this fanbase.
**** I was just going thru the thread and thinking the same ****. How can a mug bash chick when he was put in a bull **** scheme.

The first thing I saw about Jahair Jones' tape was he would tend to play high.....this tape shows what happens when you don't bend against a guy with a strong punch.

"Oh he could in the right alignment. Please Chick had 4 seasons where he lined up outside the tackle plenty and never showed what people now thinks he has shown in one allstar game. Please.

"Never showed that"? How about this game against VT:

[video=youtube;70JAOMxKgC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70JAOMxKgC0[/video]

IMO, Chick held His own for what they asked Him to do, especially His last 2 years at UM.[/Q

Yep you found one of the handful of times in 4 years, got me.

Advertisement
Dorito talking about Quan on Canesport.....

"He's more fluid. His drops have been good, improved."

Lawd have mercy

I don't doubt he will be in coverage given these idiots in charge, but that is s perfect troll quote to annoy fans.

Coach D working like a top russler.

Advertisement
Back