QBS in the Portal as of 11/28

We didn’t need depth, we needed a real QB1.

Emory, JB, Judd would have been good enough depth if they succeeded in landing one of the top choices.
Agreed. This kid would have been the perfect fit for THIS past season. We had a TF in Emory and a kid that needed a RS in Jacurri. Starting this kid for the rest of the season when TVD got the yips probably leads to at least 2 extra wins (bowl game included) this year.

But next season we're going to have 2 QBs that have starter level experience, multiple years of development, and have actually performed admirably when they've played. There's no need for a kid like this next year.

Advertisement
Im not even trying to say it’s a good situation. But for some to say the FCS leading passer can’t play is a stretch.

I don’t think there’s anything Will Howard can do that this kid can’t. Arm accuracy and arm strength are very comparable. Howard is a more power runner and he is a more agile runner but compile similar stats in that category. Both are gamers.

Taulia wins the competition over him fairly easily if both end up here. IMO
Film and stats don’t lie. I’ve been getting excoriated for saying that. Again, he’s not a plan A or B type kid, but he’s a gamer and can play. Not just some scrub.

This is an insurance policy and I’m fine with that. Theyll wait on the waiver for Taulia and continue to talk to Ward until until Jan 15. Now if he’s the only qb that’s another story but I’ll wait for that.
Agree, I'm fine with even waiting until after spring to see what's what. After spring if they do not believe a clear QB1 has emerged then they need to bring in another guy.

What are you talking about?

There were several plan Bs "prepared", but I've pointed out that Mario got tunnel vision on Ward.

Taulia was in the mix a month ago. He's always been a Plan B.

It has already been discussed, but not as many top-talent QBs entered the December 2023 portal, compared to December 2022, generally. And a QB or two, specifically, didn't enter the Portal in December 2023 that we expected to enter.

Very unfortunate. Plans were made, certain things did not come to fruition. I hate it, and I'm angry, but my feelings won't fix the situation.
That sounds awfully similar to the Zay Flowers pursuit (and others). At some point we can’t just say we expected a specific person to enter, they didn’t, and that’s a viable excuse. It’s been a bit of a recurring theme. We’ve had some nice portal additions, but we absolutely need to rethink how we are approaching it in decisiveness, willingness to make playing time commitments in certain cases, etc.

Advertisement
Need both. One of Emory and Jacurri are probably leaving after the spring if the other wins the job. Then you have 2 again.
Why leave though? 2025 will be open competition regardless. Unless a team is willing to give them the job immediately they would probably sit anyway and Emory will be fresh from an injury.

Need both. One of Emory and Jacurri are probably leaving after the spring if the other wins the job. Then you have 2 again.
This.

Going into fall I'd like to see:

QB 1 Portal
QB 2-3 Portal/Emory or JB
QB 4 Judd

Film and stats don’t lie. I’ve been getting excoriated for saying that. Again, he’s not a plan A or B type kid, but he’s a gamer and can play. Not just some scrub.
Mario deserves to be clowned for how he handled this and what the QB situation is but it’s his identity everywhere he’s been and he can’t shake it.

I don’t care that he went all out for Ward. He was far and away the best option. The more I study and hear about Howard I don’t want him. I have my fingers crossed for Taulia’s waiver. With Alabama and Maryland pushing for it, and the circumstances are what they are now playing 4 snaps combined in 2 games, one of those to honor his brother… I think he’ll get it. I wish the smoke wasn’t out about Miami because that isn’t in his favor with NCAA involved

Why leave though? 2025 will be open competition regardless. Unless a team is willing to give them the job immediately they would probably sit anyway and Emory will be fresh from an injury.
I mean.. let’s say you don’t take Poffenbarger… one of Emory and/or Jacurri wins the job by default. If it’s Emory, Jacurri is 100% gone. If it’s JB I think Emory may let it play out a little bit and stick around.

It was evident to me that JB is the best option of the 2

Advertisement
I mean.. let’s say you don’t take Poffenbarger… one of Emory and/or Jacurri wins the job by default. If it’s Emory, Jacurri is 100% gone. If it’s JB I think Emory may let it play out a little bit and stick around.

It was evident to me that JB is the best option of the 2
Ok got it, in that case I agree. This validated my previous point though: there is the possibility Miami only takes Poffenbarger and no one else.

This is an insurance policy and I’m fine with that. Theyll wait on the waiver for Taulia and continue to talk to Ward until until Jan 15. Now if he’s the only qb that’s another story but I’ll wait for that.
Story isn’t over and I get it the plan 🤮
No One Years GIF
but who had FSU PITT AND Duke doing better in the qb portal than Miami when the portal opened…

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'd rather roll with what we have than mccloud.

he's already shown how inept he is against P5 competition, couldn't do anything at all at USF and Arizona, now we're to believe he's a QB 1 for miami after 1 good year at James Madison? and his HC didn't even bring him along to Indiana?

nah

Advertisement
Back