QBS in the Portal as of 11/28

Is this kid good enough even for an insurance policy? What P5 programs are actively recruiting him right now beside Miami?

Legit questions, I’m not a QB guru nor a talent evaluator.
It's a barometer of the QB talent we have now.

If he can come in and win, then it proves we didn't have FBS talent on the team.

Advertisement
Lol. At this point Pratt would be a homerun but guess we F'd that up and let him declare while we messed around with Howard and Ward. SMH
"Let him" declare. The narrative is getting so ridiculous. He wanted to declare for the draft, but I guess its the staff's **** up. Should the staff have taken his parents hostage and threaten to not release them unless he stayed in college and came to Miami? 🙄

it's not the situation we wanted or should be in, but outside of taulia (who seems unlikely due to the waiver situation), jacurri brown with the next 7 months getting qb1 reps is better than anyone that's CURRENTLY available in the portal

hopefully taulia gets a waiver, if not I suggest people start supporting jacurri because it'll be a long offseason

on a positive note, we won 10 games with worse talent, a terrible offensive scheme, and Malik rosier as qb

I'd rather roll with what we have than mccloud.

he's already shown how inept he is against P5 competition, couldn't do anything at all at USF and Arizona, now we're to believe he's a QB 1 for miami after 1 good year at James Madison? and his HC didn't even bring him along to Indiana?

nah
He had one really good year but a bunch of duds before that. Interested if there was any pursuit by IU because that’s a non-starter for me if there wasn’t

Advertisement
Would be crazy to leave for 24. With a portal starter he might be #2 and have a shot at #1 for 2025.
I know it's probably ridiculous to say now, but if our QB recruiting does what it's supposed to do then JB could and *should* get lapped by 2025.

It might just be my Emory bias talking lol. I've been beating the drum for that kid since his recruitment.

I'd rather roll with what we have than mccloud.

he's already shown how inept he is against P5 competition, couldn't do anything at all at USF and Arizona, now we're to believe he's a QB 1 for miami after 1 good year at James Madison? and his HC didn't even bring him along to Indiana?

nah
Jayden Daniels threw for 10 TDs and 10 INTs one year at ASU. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jayden Daniels threw for 10 TDs and 10 INTs one year at ASU. 🤷🏻‍♂️
c'mon man that's a weak comparison

Jayden Daniels had an excellent freshman season, was still highly regarded (hence him landing as LSU), and that was amidst the shambles of a staff that Arizona state had

1704656958794.png

mccloud really struggled and regressed when going to arizona

1704657050218.png

Advertisement
c'mon man that's a weak comparison

Jayden Daniels had an excellent freshman season, was still highly regarded (hence him landing as LSU), and that was amidst the shambles of a staff that Arizona state had

View attachment 277445

mccloud really struggled and regressed when going to arizona

View attachment 277447
You can also check out TVD vs UVA and McCloud vs UVA.

I’m not sure why McCloud’s year at Arizona is more relevant than his most recent year at JMU.

You can also check out TVD vs UVA and McCloud vs UVA.

I’m not sure why McCloud’s year at Arizona is more relevant than his most recent year at JMU.
because James Madison doesn't play the type of competition that a power 5 school does

and it's not just his year at Arizona, it's 3 years (USF for 2, Arizona for 1) of poor performance, vs 1 year at James Madison. Also his HC not taking him to Indiana I think is enough for anyone to raise doubt

and it's not like Indiana had an established starter, they went after the Ohio university qb instead of mccloud

because James Madison doesn't play the type of competition that a power 5 school does

and it's not just his year at Arizona, it's 3 years (USF for 2, Arizona for 1) of poor performance, vs 1 year at James Madison
Except when they do, like the UVA game in which he was better than TVD.

Advertisement
That sounds awfully similar to the Zay Flowers pursuit (and others). At some point we can’t just say we expected a specific person to enter, they didn’t, and that’s a viable excuse. It’s been a bit of a recurring theme. We’ve had some nice portal additions, but we absolutely need to rethink how we are approaching it in decisiveness, willingness to make playing time commitments in certain cases, etc.

You're not wrong.

The fatal flaw is the combo of "we expect this kid to Portal and pick us" (when he doesn't) and the OVER-focus on just that one player.

Terrible combo.

Ward was a good target. Locking onto him was a bad move.

it's not the situation we wanted or should be in, but outside of taulia (who seems unlikely due to the waiver situation), jacurri brown with the next 7 months getting qb1 reps is better than anyone that's CURRENTLY available in the portal

hopefully taulia gets a waiver, if not I suggest people start supporting jacurri because it'll be a long offseason

on a positive note, we won 10 games with worse talent, a terrible offensive scheme, and Malik rosier as qb
Emory with 7 months of starter reps will be much better for Miami.

People forget his two starts were Clemson and FSU.

They have to believe in him pretty **** strongly if he's the one standing up on that podium with MC at the NYSE.

QB portal has been an absolute joke, but I'm easy going with Emory if we don't do shut else.

Advertisement
Sure, but your point, which is an odd one, seems to be “I don’t like it but b*tching about it isn’t going to change it. I’m powerless in this situation, so I’ll just sit back and let it play out.”

Fans are powerless. I’m not sure why that reality would impact your degree of discussion on this particular topic?

And discussion boards always lend themselves to emotion. You, as a fan, are once again powerless to stop that. More so, the people that own this site actually need that. That’s the “base.” So I don’t know why you’d waste your time complaining about it based on the principle you’ve already established?

This response just illustrates how self-oriented that kind of analysis is.

Again, if there was a "discussion", I don't think anyone would have a problem. If it was only "criticism", nobody would take issue. Plenty of people have posted criticism, and continue to have discussions, without the repetitive whining.

But this ongoing "look at my while I have an emotional tantrum over the Portal QB recruiting" forces everyone else to read the crybaby outbursts of quite a few posters who have gone pretty far beyond "discussion".

For those who want to express their deepest emotions so badly, book an appointment with a psychiatrist.

No. Villanova and Baylor staff members.

Albany doesn’t have the horses to compete above FCS. OL getting blasted and WRs can’t get open and he’s was competitive against Baylor extending plays.

Guy from Villanova saw him and Tony Muskett (from Monmouth now at Virginia) and said that’s basically what you’re getting but a better deep ball and more gamer in him. Muskett is a middle of the road ACC QB. Better than he played because he was dealing with a shoulder injury that he got in week 1 and then ankle later in the year. Played through the shoulder injury that needed surgery.

He’s not Cam Ward and not taking us to a playoff or conference championship but he’s better than Emory or Jacurri.
Thanks for answering

You're not wrong.

The fatal flaw is the combo of "we expect this kid to Portal and pick us" (when he doesn't) and the OVER-focus on just that one player.

Terrible combo.

Ward was a good target. Locking onto him was a bad move.
It’s so counter to how we operate HS recruiting. With Jackson, I have no idea how that’s an ongoing debate and wasn’t something discussed and decided before he entered. I really don’t know what the answer is at this point operationally.

I personally believe both Brown and Williams could turn out to be quality QBs But you can’t count on it. We need both a QB1 and a QB2 out if the portal.

Brown looked much better vs Rutgers than he did in 2022. But he is still far off from serviceable for a season. He seemed stressed all the time and overwhelmed at certain points. He’s still not processing. I think that’s the majority of the reason he is so erratic as a passer, it’s all mental.

Williams benefitted from zero film vs Clemson. But we saw his weaknesses at FSU imagine several games of tape what DCs can do? He doesn’t see the field well, struggles mightily with presnap defensive adjustments, hangs the ball in the air too long. There is a reason TVD was rushed back.

I don’t know if Puffenberger can be any good in a P5 schedule. But I do know we need more QB2 competition. Dante Moore would have been perfect. We cannot … MUST not go into the season without more depth and quality at the position.

Advertisement
Back