QB's a strength of the team?

It's all about our OL this coming yr....unless they Miraculously become very Good over the course of the next few months, we'll see lots of screens...Quick slants etc...Playing in a Shotgun will hurt with Play action immeasurably....This is why Martell HAS to get better under center...and the ONLY reason he's not a shoe in for the starting QB role...This is very eerily similar to the Brock Berlin situation...

Advertisement
OP, what do you expect Diaz to say? :youre-nuts:
What did I expect? Nothing! I didn't even know he was doing the interview. Therefore, I had no expectations! Am I shocked that his viewpoint and perception of our QB's is completely different than what he has articulated and expressed over the past few months? Yes.

For months, he consistently talked about the QB's needing to "have better accuracy", "show more leadership", "have better command", "not try to be the hero" "not burn down the house" etc.... ****, in the interview that I posted in the OP, he admitted that prior to the spring, he viewed the QB's as a weakness on the team.

Agreed @caneinorlando. If our OL improves leaps and bounds over last year’s unit then we will see a complete QB competition. If they’re struggling to grasp Barry’s concepts and technique then the truly viable option is Tate. If they’re improving we’ll enough to be serviceable or better, then we have a wide open QB competition. Offensively the game plan should be utilizing the talent we have at the skill positions to get the ball in their hands quickly. Let’s pray the OL is gearing up for the challenge so we aren’t limited with what we can do, including the QB’s and their ability to work well from under center.

What did I expect? Nothing! I didn't even know he was doing the interview. Therefore, I had no expectations! Am I shocked that his viewpoint and perception of our QB's is completely different than what he has articulated and expressed over the past few months? Yes.

For months, he consistently talked about the QB's needing to "have better accuracy", "show more leadership", "have better command", "not try to be the hero" "not burn down the house" etc.... ****, in the interview that I posted in the OP, he admitted that prior to the spring, he viewed the QB's as a weakness on the team.

reg, perhaps he’s trying to build up their confidence especially over the Summer months so they’ll continue to focus on the task at hand? It’s that, or they’re improving, which would be a glorious sign for the offense.

Advertisement
reg, perhaps he’s trying to build up their confidence especially over the Summer months so they’ll continue to focus on the task at hand? It’s that, or they’re improving, which would be a glorious sign for the offense.
I agree that coaches tend to say certain things to build confidence; it's part of their typical "coach speak." However, Diaz, though he is definitely a salesman, typically shoots things pretty straight, especially when he is commenting on the QB situation. The purpose of the OP was simply just to shed light upon the fact that there was a shift in his narrative.

saw Perry last night at CVS and chatted with him. says he and the other QBs are out there almost everyday working with the receivers and running backs. was very polite.
I love this! I am not shocked at all that all 3 are putting in a ton of work. I honestly believe, as I mentioned in the OP, each of the 3 QB's legitimately believe that they can be the guy! The QB that will ultimately come out on top is the QB that is trying to win the job, instead of the QB who is trying not to finish 2nd or 3rd.

You are correct. It's no way that our QB group could end up being a strength, considering that we only have 3 highly ranked 4 star QB's, who are now being coach/trained/mentored by one of the best QB coaches in the country. How could this possibly turn out to be a strength?
Great idea to have this..............FSU would kill, right now, to have that dilemma......guaranteed...

Advertisement
It's all about our OL this coming yr....unless they Miraculously become very Good over the course of the next few months, we'll see lots of screens...Quick slants etc...Playing in a Shotgun will hurt with Play action immeasurably....This is why Martell HAS to get better under center...and the ONLY reason he's not a shoe in for the starting QB role...This is very eerily similar to the Brock Berlin situation...
Martell isn't a shoe in because he has had struggles throwing.

Last edited:
saw Perry last night at CVS and chatted with him. says he and the other QBs are out there almost everyday working with the receivers and running backs. was very polite.

This is from the Bruce Feldman article:

Weeks later, Diaz recalled their words. “I know for a fact that none of the players mentioned their position coach,” he said. “I’m fairly certain none of the players mentioned their coordinator. And I’m not even sure if any of the players mentioned their head coaches. And that is not to slight their position coach, coordinator and head coach. They all talked about the work they did on the practice field in the summer.

TRUE

IF they want to transform themselves....it's within them to do so.

On the GOAT team J. Gonzalez saw what needed to be done and the improvements needed so he motivated his teammates to join him in some excruciating off season work.

IF they want to improve.....they can....individually or as a unit.

They need to develop a lot more pride in their results.....our coaches may already be stressing that.

We'll go far.....the OL will determine how far

Advertisement
While the Oline will not be a strength, play calling can make a big difference in how much of a weakness it is. The last group of coaches made the Oline look even worse than it is.

While the Oline will not be a strength, play calling can make a big difference in how much of a weakness it is. The last group of coaches made the Oline look even worse than it is.
Cannot agree more. The prior scheme needed a lights out dominant offensive line to work. You can hide some deficiencies with a better scheme.

QB's a strength of the team?

Advertisement
Perry was at the facility today working with WR's & TE's, I don't think you can post a IG story, but on Michael Irvin Jr's story he showed Perry make a 70yd throw from one end of the IPF to the other.

Does that mean anything in particular, no, just good to see these kids are working their *** off everyday & will be ready once Fall camp starts.

No returning starter and the qb position is a strength? I haven't heard that one before.
Soooooo, about that........
Perry started 6 games last year (4-2). In fact, he is the only QB in the race that has started a game in college.

Advertisement
Back