QB's a strength of the team?

Um, no. Can they improve? Sure. A strength would mean it's one of the best units on the team. WR is a strength. Dline is a strength. RB is a strength.

Perry, despite every chance, couldn't beat out Rosier. Ro-freaking-sier. Don't care who's coaching. That doesn't become the other team's "What are we going to do about Perry?" in 6 months.

Martell was a backup at OSU. I'm sure he has talent. Has he looked like a dominant player thus far?

What about Williams, other than his stars, has made him even look like, "the guy", let alone something the team can trust when the rest is going bad (in other words, a strength).

Maybe people are just using "strength" in an odd way.
You contradicting yourself. How can you say that wr is a strength when none of them besides thomas has done anything? How is d-line a strength when there is no proven d-linemen except for garvin?

All 3 of these qbs have talent that hasn't proved anything yet just like those groups you mentioned as strengths. Nobody is asking them to be elite. If they can become above average then that's good. There are a lot of teams without a elite qb.

Advertisement
It felt like Perry started to pull ahead in the spring. He really does have the tools. If he doesn’t end up starting, in my mind, we’d be in excellent hands with the guy who does.

It’s possible they could become a strength over the summer. Very possible!
When? He literally didn’t perform good vs the first team defense in any series in the 3 scrimmages

Last edited:
Um, no. Can they improve? Sure. A strength would mean it's one of the best units on the team. WR is a strength. Dline is a strength. RB is a strength.

Perry, despite every chance, couldn't beat out Rosier. Ro-freaking-sier. Don't care who's coaching. That doesn't become the other team's "What are we going to do about Perry?" in 6 months.

Martell was a backup at OSU. I'm sure he has talent. Has he looked like a dominant player thus far?

What about Williams, other than his stars, has made him even look like, "the guy", let alone something the team can trust when the rest is going bad (in other words, a strength).

Strength, in the context used, meant better than average compared to the conference or college football at large. At Miami, you don’t need to have the best QB in the country to be strong on offense, you just have to be competent.

Manny talked about the offense being a high performance car, just needing a driver that won’t run it into a ditch. That’s what he meant by strength. He feels that between the three, he’s confident someone will emerge who will be able to keep the race car on the track, rather than leave behind a burning heap.

Man I hope he says something like that about our O-line sometime in the near future.

He talked about that too. Said basically that he feels the talent in that group is fine, but the mental aspect needs work. Basically, said if you’re always getting blamed for all the problems, you start to believe you are the problem. Who performs well when they are constantly being told everything is their fault?

says it’s work in progress, but feels good about the progress with that group.

Advertisement
Strength, in the context used, meant better than average compared to the conference or college football at large. At Miami, you don’t need to have the best QB in the country to be strong on offense, you just have to be competent.

Manny talked about the offense being a high performance car, just needing a driver that won’t run it into a ditch. That’s what he meant by strength. He feels that between the three, he’s confident someone will emerge who will be able to keep the race car on the track, rather than leave behind a burning heap.

If "strength" means "competent enough not to ***** things up" then that would be good enough, certainly an improvement, and we probably have the capability for that.

They have two 4-star Army All-Americans and another 4-star guy. It’s a strength. Barely any positions on the team are this loaded.

If Enos can’t find a good player out of a trio like this, it’s on him.

Experience is overstated. Every team in college football faces routine turnover. The talent is there.

In 1983 we had Kyle Vanderwende, Bernie Kosar, and Vinny Testaverde. How'd that turn out?

Howard redshirted Bernie knowing he would be he starter in 83. Then he redshirted Vinny so his brain could closed the gap with his body. Howard knew what was up with QBs. He had one not three. But he had another one getting ready.

Advertisement
None of the qbs really did. Martell had a good drive in the spring game but didn't score.
Exactly which is why no one seperated themselves from the pack just based off the totality of spring alone

Did you go last night, Reg? Great event at the Hyatt. Diaz was on fire. I have some thoughts that I’ll post later when I have time. In Tampa right now.

My favorite was how he talked about the UCLA DT being turned into a traffic cone last season by the new UCLA staff, but being unblockable the year before under a real, attacking, defense.. Pretty sure some of that shade was meant for Onofrio. There was a fair amount of shade throwing last night, a lot of energy, and a lot of optimism. I just couldn’t give a standing O to Coach when he was introduced, given, you know, he’s never actually won a game yet, but by the time he was done speaking I was standing on my chair throwing money at him.

DaaaUuuuuuuuuuuvvaaaaaalllllll!!!!!
I was not able to make it last night. I am currently in Nawlings (New Orleans).

It sounds like it was a great event. I heard it was a pretty good turn out as well. I am looking forward to hearing more about the event.

Advertisement
Howard redshirted Bernie knowing he would be he starter in 83. Then he redshirted Vinny so his brain could closed the gap with his body. Howard knew what was up with QBs. He had one not three. But he had another one getting ready.
What you is absolutely true, but I'm not sure it was as genius as hindsight makes it seem. If you read Jim Martz's book he explains how Schnellenberger couldn't really give an answer why he picked Bernie. Maybe good instinct was his genius.

What you is absolutely true, but I'm not sure it was as genius as hindsight makes it seem. If you read Jim Martz's book he explains how Schnellenberger couldn't really give an answer why he picked Bernie. Maybe good instinct was his genius.
Howard was being the gentleman he is. Vinny is my favorite Cane QB but a genius he is not. He was physically superior to any we have had but Howard was just coming off coach Bob Greise and like smart QBs who are cool under fire. Vinny got to play as true freshman when Jim went down because he was a beast and Howard wanted Bernie to mature physically for a full redshirt year. Then Vinny got to sit for two and learn. Howard got his NC and Vinny got the Heisman, first pick in the draft and extremely long NFL career. We got everything— Howard was greatest coach we ever had, even if JJ made us the terror of football.

All that said, our current threesome has little resemblance to Jim, Bernie, and Vinny — three 1st round picks, one NFL HOF, one NC and one Heisman winner. Oh Lord, if it was only that way. I like all three but we need something special from at least one on the field, every week to go anywhere. If we get it, we will catch fire faster than any team can, like 2017. Then there is no limit on us.

Advertisement
OP, what do you expect Diaz to say? :youre-nuts:
The same thing he's been saying up until that point, that there is talent but they all still have a lot of work to do to show they are ready to play at this level. This more recent quote was quite different, and Diaz hasn't been one thus far to sugar coat things.

If "strength" means "competent enough not to ***** things up" then that would be good enough, certainly an improvement, and we probably have the capability for that.

I’d say it’s a reasonable expectation for that to be the floor, with the ceiling being somewhere around Brock Berlin (when used properly).

An actual 'open' competition will hopefully do wonders for all three. I'm looking forward to massive improvement at that position.

UM coaches had to run outta Hecht to stop Testeverde from transferring...he was on the Pay phone outside of Hecht calling home...
Had unlimited Physical Superiority over Kosar...but not upstairs...

Advertisement
Back