QB's a strength of the team?

Advertisement
More than 3 in 82...Testerverde...Kyle...Kelly...(Coach Morrall)...Richt..and Kosar....

You are correct. It's no way that our QB group could end up being a strength, considering that we only have 3 highly ranked 4 star QB's, who are now being coach/trained/mentored by one of the best QB coaches in the country. How could this possibly turn out to be a strength?

Um, no. Can they improve? Sure. A strength would mean it's one of the best units on the team. WR is a strength. Dline is a strength. RB is a strength.

Perry, despite every chance, couldn't beat out Rosier. Ro-freaking-sier. Don't care who's coaching. That doesn't become the other team's "What are we going to do about Perry?" in 6 months.

Martell was a backup at OSU. I'm sure he has talent. Has he looked like a dominant player thus far?

What about Williams, other than his stars, has made him even look like, "the guy", let alone something the team can trust when the rest is going bad (in other words, a strength).

Maybe people are just using "strength" in an odd way.

Advertisement
In 1983 we had Kyle Vanderwende, Bernie Kosar, and Vinny Testaverde. How'd that turn out?

Have you never heard the quote before(usually it is used with 2 QBs)? The quote does not mean "if you have 3 QBs enrolled at a school you have none". It is referring to teams that flip flop QBs all throughout the season or even teams that use multiple QBs in single games.

Advertisement
No, their maturity under the previous staff can in fact be evaluated. And they need to make improvements on that end. The X and Os side will definitely improve under Enos that’s no question. But maturity and leadership are 2 things coaches can’t cultivate. That’s starts from them their approach to the QB job
Manziel wasn’t very mature.

Have you never heard the quote before(usually it is used with 2 QBs)? The quote does not mean "if you have 3 QBs enrolled at a school you have none". It is referring to teams that flip flop QBs all throughout the season or even teams that use multiple QBs in single games.
Yes I have. But even with 3 QBs as long as one is the starter and a coach doesn't try to play more than one as the primary it usually works out. I know its tough to tell a good player to sit and watch another player in the same class get all the PT especially with the new transfer rules. Hopefully Manny has that strength and at least one of the three can handle being the backup.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It felt like Perry started to pull ahead in the spring. He really does have the tools. If he doesn’t end up starting, in my mind, we’d be in excellent hands with the guy who does.

It’s possible they could become a strength over the summer. Very possible!

According to Diaz, he now views the QB room as a potential strength of the team, now that he's seen their growth during the spring. He admits that he thought the QB's were a weakness prior to the spring. This is my first time hearing Diaz say such things regarding our QB's. He has kept it very real, since becoming the head coach, about how dissatisfied he has been with the QB's.

This tells me that he truly has a ton of faith in Enos, and considering Enos track record with QB's, who can blame Diaz for feeling optimistic. Also, Diaz new viewpoint of the QB's, tells me that our QB's must have been putting in some serious work since the end of spring ball. That was a concern for many fans. I am of belief that all 3 QB's really believe that they have a legitimate shot and therefore will put in the extra work to solidify themselves as the man!

I understand how many on this board err on the side of caution, as the old adage rings true......If you have 3 QB's, you don't have 1. However, it's encouraging that Diaz tone is beginning to change because of what he is seeing in the QB battle.

https://247sports.com/college/miami...Perry-Tate-Martell-Jarren-Williams-132085212/

Did you go last night, Reg? Great event at the Hyatt. Diaz was on fire. I have some thoughts that I’ll post later when I have time. In Tampa right now.

My favorite was how he talked about the UCLA DT being turned into a traffic cone last season by the new UCLA staff, but being unblockable the year before under a real, attacking, defense.. Pretty sure some of that shade was meant for Onofrio. There was a fair amount of shade throwing last night, a lot of energy, and a lot of optimism. I just couldn’t give a standing O to Coach when he was introduced, given, you know, he’s never actually won a game yet, but by the time he was done speaking I was standing on my chair throwing money at him.

DaaaUuuuuuuuuuuvvaaaaaalllllll!!!!!

Yes I have. But even with 3 QBs as long as one is the starter and a coach doesn't try to play more than one as the primary it usually works out. I know its tough to tell a good player to sit and watch another player in the same class get all the PT especially with the new transfer rules. Hopefully Manny has that strength and at least one of the three can handle being the backup.

Agreed. I was just expanding on what Reg was saying. He was saying people are worried that Diaz is going to follow in Richts footsteps and flip flop the QBs all season. I can't think of a single team that doesn't have 3 QBs even if some of them are walk ons.

Advertisement
Back