QB's a strength of the team?

reg

Sophomore
According to Diaz, he now views the QB room as a potential strength of the team, now that he's seen their growth during the spring. He admits that he thought the QB's were a weakness prior to the spring. This is my first time hearing Diaz say such things regarding our QB's. He has kept it very real, since becoming the head coach, about how dissatisfied he has been with the QB's.

This tells me that he truly has a ton of faith in Enos, and considering Enos track record with QB's, who can blame Diaz for feeling optimistic. Also, Diaz new viewpoint of the QB's, tells me that our QB's must have been putting in some serious work since the end of spring ball. That was a concern for many fans. I am of belief that all 3 QB's really believe that they have a legitimate shot and therefore will put in the extra work to solidify themselves as the man!

I understand how many on this board err on the side of caution, as the old adage rings true......If you have 3 QB's, you don't have 1. However, it's encouraging that Diaz tone is beginning to change because of what he is seeing in the QB battle.

https://247sports.com/college/miami...Perry-Tate-Martell-Jarren-Williams-132085212/

Advertisement
Objectively, Perry and Williams can't really be evaluated based on their performance under the previous staff.

Clearly, the OC and QB coach were not at an adequate level.

Enos is a MAJOR upgrade to both. And I'm looking forward to seeing how the summer competition goes.

According to Diaz, he now views the QB room as a potential strength of the team, now that he's seen their growth during the spring. He admits that he thought the QB's were a weakness prior to the spring. This is my first time hearing Diaz say such things regarding our QB's. He has kept it very real, since becoming the head coach, about how dissatisfied he has been with the QB's.

This tells me that he truly has a ton of faith in Enos, and considering Enos track record with QB's, who can blame Diaz for feeling optimistic. Also, Diaz new viewpoint of the QB's, tells me that our QB's must have been putting in some serious work since the end of spring ball. That was a concern for many fans. I am of belief that all 3 QB's really believe that they have a legitimate shot and therefore will put in the extra work to solidify themselves as the man!

I understand how many on this board err on the side of caution, as the old adage rings true......If you have 3 QB's, you don't have 1. However, it's encouraging that Diaz tone is beginning to change because of what he is seeing in the QB battle.

https://247sports.com/college/miami...Perry-Tate-Martell-Jarren-Williams-132085212/

Not according to NoleVern @blackvern

Advertisement
Objectively, Perry and Williams can't really be evaluated based on their performance under the previous staff.

Enos is a MAJOR upgrade to both. And I'm looking forward to seeing how the summer competition goes.
No, their maturity under the previous staff can in fact be evaluated. And they need to make improvements on that end. The X and Os side will definitely improve under Enos that’s no question. But maturity and leadership are 2 things coaches can’t cultivate. That’s starts from them their approach to the QB job

Advertisement
Enos is a MAJOR upgrade to both.
I agree 100% with this part of your post. I refuse to put a lot of weight on what Perry and William's did or didn't do (on the field), considering their QB coach from the previous staff is someone that currently can't even find a single college to give him a chance as a QB coach. If it wasn't for nepotism, in it's ugliest form, Jon Richt would have NEVER become a QB coach at the college level, let alone Miami. Of course Perry and Williams looked like ****; they were operating on pure talent and ZERO coaching. Perry grew more in one month of working with Enos, than he did in two years working with Jon Richt, hense why he received the "Most Improved QB" award for the spring.

With the playmakers that we have on offense, if/when we have good QB play, we are going to be a serious threat on that side of the ball!

It turned out that one of them ended up being the starting QB.
Yup, and either of the other two could replace him. I would love to be in that position again.

This was his first comment that makes me doubt him a bit. Was hoping to avoid coach-speak with Diaz. This simply cannot be close to a strength.
You are correct. It's no way that our QB group could end up being a strength, considering that we only have 3 highly ranked 4 star QB's, who are now being coach/trained/mentored by one of the best QB coaches in the country. How could this possibly turn out to be a strength?

Advertisement
With the QB's we have on the roster, that position should be a strength. The obvious issue, which has been repeated here countless times, was the coaching 2 of them got in the past. With Enos now at the helm of the offense, it's going to be really interesting and exciting to watch how the QB competition shakes out.

Advertisement
Key word was ‘potential’. All three are talented, and all three grew into the system in the Spring. The group is still a work in progress but I don’t believe Manny and Enos are saying “we’re f-d” at the position going into Summer and Fall camp.

That is all.

couldn't have said it better than that 🤝

As you noted, OP, we're cautious. I wouldn't consider that "err"ing. The fact is we've been mediocre at best at QB for nearly 20 years. And Dorsey was a smart college QB, not a NFL QB like the Bama and Clemson kids we aspire to knock off.

I'm personally cautiously optimistic we'll see at least a game manager who can make some plays and won't lose us games. That's more than we've had since Kaaya, and good enough to win the coastal given the other tools we have available. But I agree the upside is there. Any one of these three could break out and become special.

I was discussing the competition with another poster, and we agreed the OL is going to play a big part in determining who wins the nod. If they are able to protect the QB well, Perry and Williams have an advantage. If they can't block well enough to maintain a pocket for very long, Tate has the advantage. This competition is going to be fierce.

Advertisement
Back