QB1 riding in style....

I'm sure I'll get ripped for this but I just don't see how stuff like this won't eventually split locker rooms at schools everywhere. Other, non big name players are going to get resentful. Hope I'm wrong, but it seems like team chemistry will be harder to create in the age of the NIL deal.
Not from me. This could become a problem unless handled properly by Coach Cristobal. Players on the team have to see how professional conduct and sweat equity in the classroom, the film room and the weight room, as well as the extra time put in on the Greentree, will pay off. He has to relentlessly emphasize this over and over again. TVD deserves what he gets. Without him, the Canes are a 500 team last year, at best (well, okay, perhaps Garcia could have come close to what he did).

But TVD nearly saved Manny's a$$. Unfortunately.

Advertisement
At some point I expect Congress ot get involved. But even if Congress passes a law limiting NIL, it will be challeneged and the Supreme Court may find the law unconstitutional if it restricts an individual’s ability to make money.
The problem for Congress and the NCAA is that the Superme Court decision effectively said that a person has the constitutional right to profit from their name, image and likeness. Basically, athletes are like every other person in society. That is a very, very broad statement and restricitons on that right will be hard to come by.
Remember that none of these justices played college sports so none can understand why the NCAA or a college gets to limit a college student’s right to make money. They did not distinguish between a student athlete, and a student.

I would love for this to get to the supreme court, can you imagine the discovery portion of this, especially once they start snooping around the SEC bag schools, specifically Alabama and Georgia. Nick Saban may be bltching now, but if we got some people with balls on our side, the truth will finally come out I would hope.

I mean I don’t see how people don’t start taking a much harder look at the entire environment, past and present.

Nick might want to retire before this happens.

I'm sure I'll get ripped for this but I just don't see how stuff like this won't eventually split locker rooms at schools everywhere. Other, non big name players are going to get resentful. Hope I'm wrong, but it seems like team chemistry will be harder to create in the age of the NIL deal.

You mean how the other players st Alabama got resentful of the big stars that were getting way bigger bags, and by bigger bags, I mean like hundreds of thousands of dollars more per year than the middle of the road players? You got to think these things through.

You think every player at Alabama or Georgia or LSU makes the big bucks and drives the best cars, a lot of them do but not most of them. See how that works?

I would love for this to get to the supreme court, can you imagine the discovery portion of this, especially once they start snooping around the SEC bag schools, specifically Alabama and Georgia. Nick Saban may be bltching now, but if we got some people with balls on our side, the truth will finally come out I would hope.

I mean I don’t see how people don’t start taking a much harder look at the entire environment, past and present.

Nick might want to retire before this happens.
You mean, like the terms of his “car leases” to his own players?

Or just the photos that surfaced - pre NIL - of his players with giant wads of cash on NSD?

Advertisement
Not from me. This could become a problem unless handled properly by Coach Cristobal. Players on the team have to see how professional conduct and sweat equity in the classroom, the film room and the weight room, as well as the extra time put in on the Greentree, will pay off. He has to relentlessly emphasize this over and over again. TVD deserves what he gets. Without him, the Canes are a 500 team last year, at best (well, okay, perhaps Garcia could have come close to what he did).

But TVD nearly saved Manny's a$$. Unfortunately.

See my post above.

You mean, like the terms of his “car leases” to his own players?

Or just the photos that surfaced - pre NIL - of his players with giant wads of cash on NSD?

Seriously though, how they got those things does not matter, the fact is they had them.

Not everyone on bag teams got the big payoffs.

Sure they probably mostly all had nice cars, but some guys drove the nice primo whips, some guys got the $2000 suits from that suit store in Birmingham, some guys were getting $400,000 a year, and the middle of the road guys were getting a few thousand.

All these people worrying about “oh my God TVD is driving a nice car are other players going to get jealous?”

The answer is, who cares? The bag schools made it work, we can make it work. Stop with the Puritanical bullshlt (not you).

Seriously though, how they got those things does not matter, the fact is they had them.

Not everyone on bag teams got the big payoffs.

Sure they probably mostly all had nice cars, but some guys drove the nice primo whips, some guys got the $2000 suits from that suit store in Birmingham, some guys were getting $400,000 a year, and the middle of the road guys were getting a few thousand.

All these people worrying about “oh my God TVD is driving a nice car are other players going to get jealous?”

The answer is, who cares? The bag schools made it work, we can make it work. Stop with the Puritanical bullshlt (not you).
I expect the other players to recognize that TVD’s financial payoffs are a direct result of his success on the football field. And if you want what he has, go get it by being as good a football player as he is.
And people always different amounts of money on every team. Lebron James makes 50 million on his contract alone while some guys on the Lakers are making the veteran minimum.

Advertisement
My uncle has one and it has a sensor on the steering wheel that monitors his vitals so if he has a medical emergency the car will pull onto the side of the road and call 911. Effin bananas
Oh wow.. had no idea there was this type of tech in cars now.. makes sense tho. Pretty cool.

My mom had a 240 & it broke down on us on the streets. So my memory of it will always be negative.
That 240, when it was fairly new, had some kick back in the day…. My aunt had one and boy she would whip the **** out of it back in the late 70’s. With us in the car, LOL 😂

If Mario can get the community businesses behind UM Football it’s going to be very difficult for other programs outside of a handful of the SEC and then USC/UTexas/OSU.

We are a major city and a city that likes money - plenty of fake money out there to throw at kids for publicity.
I don't know, bama has that Dodge dealership

Advertisement
I heard it came with a 2 hour course on 'How To Drive Like An Entitled Douchebag'.

Session 1 - The art of taking up 2 parking spots
Session 2 - What is a blinker, and why you don't need them
Session 3 - Not to panic when your dash lights up like a christmas tree

At some point I expect Congress ot get involved. But even if Congress passes a law limiting NIL, it will be challeneged and the Supreme Court may find the law unconstitutional if it restricts an individual’s ability to make money.
The problem for Congress and the NCAA is that the Superme Court decision effectively said that a person has the constitutional right to profit from their name, image and likeness. Basically, athletes are like every other person in society. That is a very, very broad statement and restricitons on that right will be hard to come by.
Remember that none of these justices played college sports so none can understand why the NCAA or a college gets to limit a college student’s right to make money. They did not distinguish between a student athlete, and a student.

Even if congress will be involved, you really think this will impact bag schools? Ok, so let's say there's a hard cap set on NIL deals at 100k. You don't think bag schools will go back to funneling bags of cash under the table.....as they have been doing for decades?

I expect the other players to recognize that TVD’s financial payoffs are a direct result of his success on the football field. And if you want what he has, go get it by being as good a football player as he is.
And people always different amounts of money on every team.

Not only that, but the greatest HC in this program's history & one of the best ever, treated all of his players differently, based on how much value they brought to the team.

I think you treat every player differently. That’s what I always told the team. I’m going to be very consistent—I’m going to treat every one of you differently. I said, the harder you work, the more you do what I ask you to do and—the key—the better performer you are, then you’ve got more leeway and I’m going to cut you some slack. If you don’t work hard, and you don’t do what I ask you to do, and you’re not a good player, you’ve got no leeway so I don’t cut you any slack, but that’s how I treat you.

-Jimmy Johnson

Advertisement
Even if congress will be involved, you really think this will impact bag schools? Ok, so let's say there's a hard cap set on NIL deals at 100k. You don't think bag schools will go back to funneling bags of cash under the table.....as they have been doing for decades?

I think, or at least hope, what will happen is that schools like Miami won’t take the system being tweaked to again give the advantage to the bag schools.

How, why and where, is yet to be determined.

But the way I feel is, we have to do everything we can as an institution, to make sure that we’re at the table, and have a say.

Since the NCAA may not be as involved as they have been in other things in the past, I think we have a good chance of at least keeping the playing field on a more level basis.

I just know that we cannot let the system change so these are the schools have the unfair advantage over us.

Absolutely will revert back to the ole days. Pre 2021

And people always different amounts of money on every team. Lebron James makes 50 million on his contract alone while some guys on the Lakers are making the veteran minimum.
Here's where it becomes a bit tricky.

Let's take a well-known Big 12 school that allegedly paid a wide receiver a few years ago $300K to sign. It's quite likely that this was a gradual escalation in money offered over a period of time in signing classes. Perhaps two years earlier it was $250K for a premium player. And four years ago it was $200K. So a player signing (let's say in 2015) got $200K. And now the premium recruit four years later got $300K. So three and four year veterans aren't necessarily scratching their heads. The rise in bag spending was gradual.

In the NIL, you could see something totally different. Let's say you're Quin Ewers at Texas and you got a $1M package to sign. But now the Manning prodigy is lurking out there, and let's say he gets $5M to sign with Texas a year from now. That's a huge increase, and Ewers is now going to want to get paid. Or transfer - unless his NIL deal prevents him in essence from transferring. Same thing down at A&M. Let's say Shemar got a $500K NIL deal in 2022 to sign. In 2024, as he's about to enter his junior year - at the peak of his capabilities - the Aggies go all in on a top D-line recruit and offer him $4M. Shemar would want to have his pay bumped up. Or Shemar transfers out.

Basically the rapidly escalating nature of the NIL seems to create similar tensions with veterans as existed in the NFL and NBA prior to their CBAs that instituted rookie salary caps. Imagine Miami signed Manning for the 2023 class...how much would Manning be getting going into that summer versus our presumed starter in Jeff Garcia?

Just to give context, this is about a $1000/ month NIL deal (based on a ~1k monthly lease payment).

It’s small potatoes. Remember, last year, before NIL even heated up, our true freshman scout team guys were getting $500 a month from that roster-wide deal.

TVD is supposedly in the $750k-$950k overall NIL range so far. This is probably his smallest deal. But it’s a fun one, so why not?

Also fwiw, those ext/int colorways aren’t very desirable. I’m guessing this one might have been collecting dust on the lot for a bit. Good deal for the dealership IMO.

Advertisement
Back