QB1 riding in style....

Here's where it becomes a bit tricky.

Let's take a well-known Big 12 school that allegedly paid a wide receiver a few years ago $300K to sign. It's quite likely that this was a gradual escalation in money offered over a period of time in signing classes. Perhaps two years earlier it was $250K for a premium player. And four years ago it was $200K. So a player signing (let's say in 2015) got $200K. And now the premium recruit four years later got $300K. So three and four year veterans aren't necessarily scratching their heads. The rise in bag spending was gradual.

In the NIL, you could see something totally different. Let's say you're Quin Ewers at Texas and you got a $1M package to sign. But now the Manning prodigy is lurking out there, and let's say he gets $5M to sign with Texas a year from now. That's a huge increase, and Ewers is now going to want to get paid. Or transfer - unless his NIL deal prevents him in essence from transferring. Same thing down at A&M. Let's say Shemar got a $500K NIL deal in 2022 to sign. In 2024, as he's about to enter his junior year - at the peak of his capabilities - the Aggies go all in on a top D-line recruit and offer him $4M. Shemar would want to have his pay bumped up. Or Shemar transfers out.

Basically the rapidly escalating nature of the NIL seems to create similar tensions with veterans as existed in the NFL and NBA prior to their CBAs that instituted rookie salary caps. Imagine Miami signed Manning for the 2023 class...how much would Manning be getting going into that summer versus our presumed starter in Jeff Garcia?
I agree that the tensions can occur. Just like it did in the NFL and NBA with rookies until each league established a rookie wage scale. If you recall vets were going crazy with how much rookies like Chris Webber were making. Teams will definitely have to manage the difference between NIL for existing players vs NIL for recruits. When you give too much to recruits you run the risk of lots of transfers. This will blow up on some teams, and as with all sports, well managed teams should benefit.

Advertisement
My wife and I used to ski at Killington after we got married years ago. At the time I was driving a Pontiac Firebird. I would park my car no into a snow drift like all the other cars including a lot of Datsuns. After the weekend I'd jump in my car, start it and drive home while all the Datsuns wouldn't start.
Old GM products run like crap longer than most cars run.

hope he got the extended warranty, the 2001 7 series had ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY EIGHT recalls

staggering.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back