Qb update days before a starter is decided

I I always thought it was Tates job to lose (Manny accepted his transfer to Miami because he thought he was getting a starter, not another backup qb), but it sounds like he is losing it. Now I'm leaning Williams. Shuffling the OL so that is it stout up the middle plays in Jarren's favor. As long as he has the ability to feel pressure and step into throws, he can execute the offense. Won't have to run for his life every play.
Here we go with "It's Tates job to lose." A sure fire way to lose your team is to hand someone the job without earning it. You don't get to come off the street and just jump ahead of guys that have been in the program for more than a year. Any transfer, or roster player has to earn his position. Martell may earn that right, but it surely wasn't his to lose the day he walked thru the IPF doors.

Advertisement
Could it be possibly that the contenders for the job are all doing good so that makes the decision tougher?

Yes. It’s possible. In fact, that’s sort of what the coaches are saying. Pretty much since the first week in camp.

But try selling that to the chicken littles that populate this thread

Let's pick one and announce it publicly before UF. We need to give one of these 3 some confidence by announcing and give them all the reps between now and UF. Can't keep babying these guys or be scared if one transfers off. If one or two guys decide to transfer, then so be it and they weren't cut out to be a Miami Hurricane.

**** no, let their D-Coordinator figure it out whose starting. Manny isn't babying them (Jezzus) he said he may not announce before the game, thats a tactic to ***** with your opponent. And if you have to hope announcing is being what gives your Q confidence, you're screwed from the get go.

Near the end, Richt tried doing what the fans wanted, look how that worked out.

Last edited:
i have been pro tate from the beginning but as a canes fans you have to be concerned with this situation. three guys none of whom appear to be good enough to be our starter. clearly not what anyone would have wanted or expected.
Why do you say none appear to be good enough? That none has clearly passed the other two doesn't mean none are good enough. Just as possible that all are good enough but no one has separated himself.

Advertisement
I have been pretty silent since Fall camp started about this QB race but I am at a point now where I must say that I am not at all happy that not one of these QBs has separated themselves 16 days before the biggest game of the year. I could see if all 3 were having unbelievably fantastic camps and all 3 are just so good its impossible to choose one. It seems like all 3 are good sometimes, bad others, and wildly inconsistent. That doesn't make me feel confident at all going into this game.

I feel like we heard this same talk about inconsistent QB play going into the LSU game last year and we ignored it thinking our guys would just show up because LSUs offense was so bad we would just fall into a W by default. And we saw what happened.

And its not like the D is just so dominant and overwhelming that its impossible for them to perform..alot of this stuff just sounds like Grade A *****-ups. Overthrown balls, fumbles in the pocket, interceptions,. I know we don't see everything but ****, we know that not one QB has just stolen the job and taken the reins.

UF is right around the corner. This isn't Spring ball anymore. Its showtime and we are still BSing around trying to find a QB that can string together 3 straight good (not great) practices. Feel free to hit me with the "marathon not sprint" talk but the reality is the UF is coming and that game is upon us any day now. At some point we need to finish the **** race. But I digress.

" It seems like all 3 are good sometimes, bad others, and wildly inconsistent."

Why are people so hung up on the practice and scrimmage reports that point out the inconsistencies and flaws? That's the entire point of practice and scrimmage, to see what needs to be fixed.

Go read the practice reports about Fields thus far this offseason. Sounds similar to our QB's reports. Does that mean he sucks too? Bet top QBs around the nation have similar reports. People need to chill.

I don't know how anyone can watch highlights of Arkansas when Enos was OC, or watch Tua from last year and think Martell was winning this job.

There’s a lot that goes into winning the job, and there’s definitely more than what you mentioned. If it were tate the playbook will be used to his strengths. There’s also things that go into this that we don’t even know about.

Btw , Tua wasn’t running Enos offense.

Advertisement
Most telling statement of the entire article:

"One UM person said N’Kosi Perry probably is best suited of the three to run Enos’ offense in the sense that he has a good arm, improved accuracy, and mobility and does a good job of hiding the ball, a deceptive element important in an offense that features reverses and jet sweeps."

Perry is in the lead but by a scintilla. He has to solidified it this weekend at the scrimmage.

After reading the article it's pretty clear Jarren is running 3rd in the race too.
This might be true in practice and in scrimmages but my concern with Perry is that he looked completely lost at times last year and seemed to get worse the more he played. Granted the kid did not have a real QB coach like he does now.

Advertisement
" It seems like all 3 are good sometimes, bad others, and wildly inconsistent."

Why are people so hung up on the practice and scrimmage reports that point out the inconsistencies and flaws? That's the entire point of practice and scrimmage, to see what needs to be fixed.

Go read the practice reports about Fields thus far this offseason. Sounds similar to our QB's reports. Does that mean he sucks too? Bet top QBs around the nation have similar reports. People need to chill.
This. Hard to get info when we only hear about a small fraction of practices.

“ i would have wanted my Qb to emerge by now” like we didn’t see hurts come in a few years back as you mentioned over the starter or even last year with Trevor Lawrence taking over a few games in.

Also to add to this, this is the most talented qb group we have had since what the 80s era? Look at the qb groups each of these previous years. This group is infinitely more talented which is why a “clear cut” starter hasn’t emerged at least not publicly. This is a real competition because for the first time in a long time miami is stacked with options at qb. Who were any of these qbs REALLY competing against when the jobs were given those years. No one...

Preach. I trust our QB coach, and I like our overall talent at the position. And I love our skill talent.

How about Darnold at USC? He was the backup to sorry *** Max Brown to start the season a few years ago. These dudes act like picking a starting QB is a math problem with a definite answer. It’s all opinion based on practice, which is NOTHING like a real game situation for a QB.

I’m confident that we will eventually find our gamer out of this group and that the offense will start rolling as the season progresses.

Advertisement
This might be true in practice and in scrimmages but my concern with Perry is that he looked completely lost at times last year and seemed to get worse the more he played. Granted the kid did not have a real QB coach like he does now.

Everybody looked completely lost in that offense had nothing to do with NKosi. The fact that he was able to fight through all that, play as a true freshman, and beat FSU is a testament to his potential.

This competition is really between Jarren and NKosi and I would be confident with either one. It took Trevor Lawrence a few games into the season to become the clear starter over Bryant and a couple more starts after that to look like the best QB in the country.

All 3 can be dynamic with Enos coaching.
Perry is best suited for Enos offense
Jarren is the best passer and it would be his job if he didn’t play catch-up (which Barry alluded to)
Tate is Enos ideal QB in terms of the Mental side of the ball but is inconsistent throwing the ball. This QB race is going well into the season but if I had to bet I’d say Tate gets the starting role 8/24. I’m not sure I trust Perry or Jarren to handle the enormous pressure against a team like UF in a rival game.
Why are you certain Martell can handle the pressure of a big game? All the players has played big time football in high school. I cant respect Tate because he was talking all that trash, but as soon as Justin Field showed up he cut and ran instead of fighting.

Advertisement
Back