QB Starter

I think Shirreffs starts, and half this board nit picks every move he makes. He'll start off well and we'll hear how it was against nobodies. Then he beats FSU, but he didn't actually do anything, the team won it for him. By the time we're 8-0 and obviously Perry isn't going to start at any point in the season, they will disappear... lying in wait for Shirreffs to make a costly mistake, then BANG! They'll all be back.

Nah, I don't think that would happen.

Advertisement
Y'all sleeping on my boy Augie "The Million Dollar Arm" DiBiase...

He's been killing it all Spring.

You guys are right. I thought last year Allison was a RSfr. This is his second season. Either way, it's time to make the move. If he struggles to beat out mediocre prospects and walk-ons again, that's it. This should be his QB competition to lose.

Advertisement
You guys are right. I thought last year Allison was a RSfr. This is his second season. Either way, it's time to make the move. If he struggles to beat out mediocre prospects and walk-ons again, that's it. This should be his QB competition to lose.

Take the time to go watch Shirreffs highlights from his senior season. It was his only full season, and that is a big reason he was lightly recruited. Now I know HS numbers don't mean much, as Jake Heaps has taught us, but a nearly 10 to 1 TD to INT ratio is really good. He's mobile for a tall QB, and has added a lot of good weight since his high school days. He is no mediocre prospect, he was a true under the radar guy. Good footwork, not afraid to run the **** ball, which impressed me for a guy 6'5" and maybe 190 at the time.

I get it, he was a Golden special, but so was Njoku.

I will agree, Allison's time to step up is now, if he's ever going to. He needs to finish in the top 2 this year, or his playing days at Miami might be over before they begin. If he is #3 behind Rosier and Shirreffs before Perry comes in, it spells big trouble. For one, Perry could very well pass him. Secondly, Richt has a long relationship with Weldon. Allison needs to be the #2 guy at the very least.

Take the time to go watch Shirreffs highlights from his senior season. It was his only full season, and that is a big reason he was lightly recruited. Now I know HS numbers don't mean much, as Jake Heaps has taught us, but a nearly 10 to 1 TD to INT ratio is really good. He's mobile for a tall QB, and has added a lot of good weight since his high school days. He is no mediocre prospect, he was a true under the radar guy. Good footwork, not afraid to run the **** ball, which impressed me for a guy 6'5" and maybe 190 at the time.

I will agree, Allison's time to step up is now, if he's ever going to. He needs to finish in the top 2 this year, or his playing days at Miami might be over before they begin. If he is #3 behind Rosier and Shirreffs before Perry comes in, it spells big trouble. For one, Perry could very well pass him. Secondly, Richt has a long relationship with Weldon. Allison needs to be the #2 guy at the very least.

I admittedly don't know a whole bunch about Evan Shirreffs besides what the coaches tell the public and whatever practice information that Austin has shared with us. From what I have gathered, he's very much in the mold of a Ken Dorsey in that he's really smart and knows the playbook inside and out, knows his reads and rarely makes the dangerous throw. He just doesn't have quite the arm strength you'd want at a big time program. Besides the lack of arm strength, I don't think I've heard anything else negative about him though. He may end up being one of those low-ceiling guys who won't carry your team but won't hurt you with bonehead mistakes and turnovers. With this defense, I think I'll be OK with a guy who's just a game manager and won't hurt the team. At least to start the season.

I admittedly don't know a whole bunch about Evan Shirreffs besides what the coaches tell the public and whatever practice information that Austin has shared with us. From what I have gathered, he's very much in the mold of a Ken Dorsey in that he's really smart and knows the playbook inside and out, knows his reads and rarely makes the dangerous throw. He just doesn't have quite the arm strength you'd want at a big time program. Besides the lack of arm strength, I don't think I've heard anything else negative about him though. He may end up being one of those low-ceiling guys who won't carry your team but won't hurt you with bonehead mistakes and turnovers. With this defense, I think I'll be OK with a guy who's just a game manager and won't hurt the team. At least to start the season.

I hear what you're saying, but judging from his film, his arm is at least as strong as Dorsey. That was a full 2.5 years ago.

I like a QB to have a strong arm, but I'll take a QB with good timing and the ability to get the ball to the right guy. Walsh, Kosar and Dorsey all had average arms, but I'd take them over Kyle Wright and Steven Morris any day of the week.

Here's a pretty decent look at Shirreffs. Keep in mind, he has grown a lot since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqVhi-XM6vo

Advertisement
Weldon did not look very accurate in that video.

Since you negged me Derekdorman, you must think Weldon looked accurate in that video. If you do,that tells me all I need to know about you.

What I like the most about the Shirreffs highlight tape was how comfortable he was taking snaps from under center. That's a very pro style offense he was running. Probably why he was able to pick up the offense here so easily. You watch a lot of these high school tapes and most of these kids play in a simplified air raid offense where they make one pre snap read and if that's not open, they tuck and run.

Shireffs looked very natural throwing on the run, with some zip.

Two things I'm looking for out of our next multi-year starting QB:
1. Pocket presence
2. Throw on the run

As much as I appreciated Kaaya, he stunk at those two things

Advertisement

Since you negged me Derekdorman, you must think Weldon looked accurate in that video. If you do,that tells me all I need to know about you.
Or you're reading way too much into a 1 min video

Maybe, but, as a former QB myself, when I see a QB that has trouble completing 5 yard passes with no pressure in his face it concerns me.Even more so when a QB has a high INT rate in high school.

Or you're reading way too much into a 1 min video

Maybe, but, as a former QB myself, when I see a QB that has trouble completing 5 yard passes with no pressure in his face it concerns me.Even more so when a QB has a high INT rate in high school.

19 TD to 11 INTs isn't horrible, but it's not great, either.

As for one missed pass in practice, it means nothing. Sample size is WAY too small. I'm sure Joe Montana missed short passes in practices from time to time. It means nothing. If he was constantly missing short passes, do you honestly think he'd have gotten an offer? I don't. The staff saw a heck of a lot more of him than you and me in a very short video.

Advertisement
I don't know if we're all watching the same highlights but that is below average arm strength.

Name some terrible, bad, below average, average, above average, good, very good, excellent, and great arm strength QBs to put it into context.

Thank you.

I don't know if we're all watching the same highlights but that is below average arm strength.

Name some terrible, bad, below average, average, above average, good, very good, excellent, and great arm strength QBs to put it into context.

Thank you.

You can tell in those seam routes he throws in the middle of the field, I believe in the first 30 seconds. Throws at 1:25 mark and 2:05 mark also are telling. Just not enough zip on the ball.
Elite arm: Jay Cutler/Ryan Mallett
I would say Kaaya has a good, not great arm. Guys like John David Booty had below average arm strength and still made it to the NFL.

Also I am not going to sit here and pretend like I've seen Shireffs throw the ball in practice at UM - this is purely off that highlight video posted above. I also agree you don't necessarily need an elite arm to be successful at the college level. He does move better than I thought and doesn't seem like he'd be a lame duck in the pocket like Kaaya.
Put on some of Weldon's or Perry's throws in college and then look at Shireffs highlight - major difference IMO.

This thread is like Arrogate in that race last weekend. I had no idea why the track announcer was wasting time babbling about all the dullard horses. It was all about the supreme talent and what he did once he showed up.

Turned out that breaking flatfooted and last made for a nice story but the horse himself seemed rather unimpressed. I imagine that's what Perry and the coaching staff will feel like once the talent gap is glaring.

I'd agree with you about him not having enough zip on his passes if they were incomplete. It seems to me he is getting the ball when it needs to be, when it needs to be there. I do agree, you can't tell everything from highlight reels. I will also agree that he doesn't appear to have a cannon for an arm. If he can make plays with his legs and make good reads and accurate passes, he won't need a cannon to make this O run extremely well.

I do wonder how much the added muscle will contribute to his throwing strength. He looks a lot thicker now than he did 2 years ago. He no longer looks like a guy that would break in half, but actually be able to break some tackles if needed.

I have to also add, some of those throws across the middle were amazingly well placed.

Advertisement
Back