QB Starter

We've got a contingent of our fanbase who want to crown Rosier based on the fact that he didn't totally suck in one start against Duke 2 years ago. His offer list coming out of High School was:

Ark St
Middle Tenn St
Furman
Northern IL
Western KY
Southern Miss

He's a good athlete but I do not think he is the QB some of you fancy him to be.

I haven't seen him crowned by anyone. I see guys who want him to start , which I get since we've actually seen him play. I personally don't care who starts, I want the the best guy to win the job.

Wins is all I care about.

Advertisement
This. And what I don't understand is why our fans knock a kid who is 1-0 as a starter. He got called up, and he stepped up. Who on here is crowning him? At the end of the day, the play of the QBs between now and Fall camp will determine who starts.

We've got a contingent of our fanbase who want to crown Rosier based on the fact that he didn't totally suck in one start against Duke 2 years ago. His offer list coming out of High School was:

Ark St
Middle Tenn St
Furman
Northern IL
Western KY
Southern Miss

He's a good athlete but I do not think he is the QB some of you fancy him to be.

I haven't seen him crowned by anyone. I see guys who want him to start , which I get since we've actually seen him play. I personally don't care who starts, I want the the best guy to win the job.

Ark St
Middle Tenn St
Furman
Northern IL
Western KY
Southern Miss

Well we had knuckleheads clamoring for Rosier to start last year. I'll say this much -- I completely trust that Richt will make the right decision and if he goes with Rosier, then so be it. I'll be all in. I just don't think he's "that guy". He's a backup, IMO.

Last edited:
in those duke clips posted, rosier definitwly made some very accurate throws. honestly, he put touch on a few of those deep balls that kaaya often lacked

Advertisement
Rosier better learn to read a defense and go through progressions. He VERY rarely made it past the first read. Stephen Morris syndrome

Rosier better learn to read a defense and go through progressions. He VERY rarely made it past the first read. Stephen Morris syndrome

It looked like it was designed that way for the Duke game kinda like how Clemson's offense was with Deshaun. Reading half the field at a time every play.

I'm not saying Perry won't play in 2017, but I have a really hard time seeing him come in around May and beat out Rosier and Allison.

Advertisement
I think the schedule dictates:
- You are not putting a True Frosh at QB when you play FSU on the road in the 3rd week -
- maybe if you played UNC or Va Tech ..... Not FSU
- and not on the road - could wreck a kids confidence

Allison or MR get the shot early - if they win in Tally - they stay
- they implode you rotate QBS in the next few weeks which includes Toledo, Duke, Ga Tech and Cuse & 3/4 at home... then you have the big 3 of UNC, Va Tech and ND

Jack Allison is my pick to be the starter this year. I feel like he's the forgotten man in the QB group. He can ball.. strong arm, good throwing mechanics, seems to make good decisions with the ball and he's more athletic than people think. And it looks like he's improved his game according to coach Richt. That's what I've been waiting to hear, I've been rooting for this kid since he signed with us. I think he has all the tools to be a good QB for us. We just need a guy who can manage the game, make all the necessary throws and the ability to make plays outside the pocket.
I like Malik but he ain't the answer for us, imo he's just not UM starter material. Same goes for Testaverde Jr and Sheriffs. As for the two freshmen in Weldon and Perry.. I think they have a lot of upside, especially Perry. Cade is a athlete and comes from a football family, has good football genes and seems like he can make all the throws. But Perry is the guy I really want to eventually be our starter. So much hype coming from this kid but his potential is through the roof. Nothing but positive things from his high school coaches about the type of player we are getting in Perry. The game has changed.. you need a mobile QB plan and simple. And we get that in Perry but he is also a natural QB, looks to throw before running. Nice touch on the ball, strong arm, good accuracy and good pocket presence.
We got some talent at that position finally. Let those young men compete and let the best man win. All we need is to solidify this position as well as the O-line and we can finally start turning that corner to national contenders again. To me that's so refreshing to hear cause we as canes fans are set to a higher standard in football. For over a decade we've been irrelevant. No more.. it's our time again. But it starts by beating the shiit out of FSWho this year and ending that streak. Let's go canes

A lot of people believe Sheriffs is a JAG, but that narrative seems to crumble every time we hear an interview from a former player or coach highlighting that he's the most athletic and smartest qb we have on the roster. Additionally, in a recent podcast, Austin Pfenninger said he also has a decent arm and can make all of the throws. I think he is going to surprise a lot of people this year. From everything we have heard, if it wasn't for the injury he suffered last year, then he would have won the backup qb job. In my opinion, he will take the job initially. Whether or not he keeps it is another story.

Advertisement
It's way too early but I dont like the sound that the competition is so close. Last year, it was stated Kayaa was head and shoulders above the rest. And no way all 4 have suddenly turned into studs. Honestly all 4 may be average QB's and one will get the nod by default. Hope someone takes a serious step forward

Rosier will be game 1 starter. He's a gamer & is mobile. Will make our o-line look much better. Walton & easy throws will be the formula. D will keep us in all games.

Advertisement
It's still Rosiers job until beaten out and I think he is the man. The 2 plays that stuck out in Duke game were the 2 " FREE PLAYS " where he went downfield and completed long passes one forTD. He strikes me as a better gamer than practicer.

Ark St
Middle Tenn St
Furman
Northern IL
Western KY
Southern Miss

Better offer list than Shireffs though

Advertisement
Back