2025 QB Luke Nickel, Alpharetta, GA

Advertisement
Truth is you don't know what Anderson or Emory are gonna be regardless of there ranking too which is why you're saying what your saying. Norland is going into his second season also an no one is saying he's going to start matter fact they just brought in two portal qbs
Noland is a true freshman entering his first season. Same class as Judd.

I'm just tryna figure out why all on his nuts dude is a 3rd or 4th string QB they just brought Sayin in. Why yall talking bout a OSU back up they all need time???

Advertisement
Who is first on the depth chart? How did they get him?
I do't expect TF to start, especially not week 1. I expect TF to compete for back up role and challenge to start as sophmore. We have not done that since Tyler. osu has a QB for the present and future. I don't know what purpose only signing guys that won't contribute serves or why you continue to sell it but I'm not going to disagree anymore than I have already.

I do't expect TF to start, especially not week 1. I expect TF to compete for back up role and challenge to start as sophmore. We have not done that since Tyler. osu has a QB for the present and future. I don't know what purpose only signing guys that won't contribute serves or why you continue to sell it but I'm not going to disagree anymore than I have already.
Teams need to sign a high school QB every year. All we're talking about is budgeting. It's hard to find great DL in the Portal and the great ones are usually five stars. It's easier to find great QBs in the Portal and the great ones are often sleepers.

Teams need to sign a high school QB every year. All we're talking about is budgeting. It's hard to find great DL in the Portal and the great ones are usually five stars. It's easier to find great QBs in the Portal and the great ones are often sleepers.
Makes sense

I just don't see anyone using that philosophy irl. At least no one competing for winning.

Advertisement
Mario always wants a high-profile high school QB. He’s a star guy.

What I’m saying isn’t the company line. It’s common sense. Don’t pay big money for Top 10 high school QBs because they rarely pan out for your school in the Portal era. The evidence is overwhelming.

If you don’t have to pay them big money, great. But if you are writing a big check for a QB, and the budget isn’t unlimited (it never is), then spend on a proven Portal QB.
This is a logical argument.
But Nickel bag is gonna get offered a hefty chunk by the frontrunners when all is said and done. And portal qb’s aren’t a guarantee either and likely more expensive.
Yes they likely have a higher hit rate but it still doesn’t guarantee a can’t miss prospect.
Is it the system? The receivers? The competition?
Jamie Newman was balling for wake forest and threw for almost 2900 yards in 2019.
I don’t even think he’s playing right now.

And this is the reason osu and uga have been spending on both HS and portal qb’s.

And having a room like that makes it easier to recruit receivers.
Uga had Newman and like 3 highly rated hs qb’s and a damm walk on got them 2 chips.

In other words. You’re gonna have to spend regardless of where you get them. Unless we have some qb whisperer on staff, you’re gonna have to amass talent from high school and the portal.

But we better start depending on a product and not just nil to able to acquire top portal qb and receiver talent.

I just don't see anyone using that philosophy irl. At least no one competing for winning.
The teams that have been on top for twenty years don't have to worry about it. They can just sign five stars everywhere. We have money but no credibility. So we have to be smart.

Ward was really expensive, but at least we know what we're getting.

The teams that have been on top for twenty years don't have to worry about it. They can just sign five stars everywhere. We have money but no credibility. So we have to be smart.

It's not even the 5* part. Plenty of QBs can be ready to play in 2 years.

Advertisement

There's nobody else between overpaying for 5* and taking guys like Judd? Its one or the other? Nobody else?

YOU said yourself that they wanted CJ regardless of Smith. If they spent so much on Ward that they're stuck with Judd (or happy with him as we've been told), then how/why were they gonna get CJ?

I mean.. if "we need bodies" is the argument, isn't mid CJ always going to be the better add than dumpster diving for Judd's?

That's the argument I think @cway313 and a few others of us are trying to make here. Its hard to believe that Ward's cost slammed the door on any/all other options besides guys like Judd when we're also being told that's not the case.

There's nobody else between overpaying for 5* and taking guys like Judd? Its one or the other? Nobody else?
Yes, there are other options. I never said Judd was the answer.

My position is simple- I think Top 10 recruit QBs are an inefficient use of money. It's increasingly rare that they work out for the team that signs them. Most great QBs are transfers or sleepers. In a vacuum, a five-star QB is way more likely to succeed than a three-star kid. But in the real world, all of this comes with a price tag, and you have to evaluate cost-benefit.

Unless you (1) have unlimited money; or (2) attract five star QBs based on your brand alone, the investment is much better spent on Portal QBs like Cam Ward. If you're taking high school kids, look for value and high upside.

Advertisement
Yes, there are other options. I never said Judd was the answer.

My position is simple- I think Top 10 recruit QBs are an inefficient use of money. It's increasingly rare that they work out for the team that signs them. Most great QBs are transfers or sleepers. In a vacuum, a five-star QB is way more likely to succeed than a three-star kid. But in the real world, all of this comes with a price tag, and you have to evaluate cost-benefit.

Unless you (1) have unlimited money; or (2) attract five star QBs based on your brand alone, the investment is much better spent on Portal QBs like Cam Ward. If you're taking high school kids, look for value and high upside.

Agree. The Athletic did an analysis of blue-chip QB recruits last year. Of the last 60 QBs who didn't start in their 1st 2 years, 59 transferred. Carson Beck was the only exception.

Using significant NIL to stack top-QB recruits only makes sense if you have virtually unlimited resources, like OSU or Texas. And even then, guys will leave if they don't play early.

IMG_2824.gif

Advertisement
Back