QB development is scary

Advertisement
Was that in response to my comment? & if you think the NFL dont give a **** what offense you played in(even though that wasn't my point if it is in response to me)just ask those Texas tech & Hawaii QBs under the pirate & I dont remember buddy's name who coached Hawaii when they ran that air raid offense. Old guy with same first letters for first and last name. Anyways they had insane qb play and we play yearly. Yet you only heard about Crabtree & to a far lesser extent since he was an unsigned free agent davon Bess. None of them got drafted accordingly based on their results. The few who did get drafted were later round reaches.
I loved Davon Bess as a Dolphin.

Was just speaking in general.

And I think you might be referring to June Jones who coached at Hawaii, but Jones ran the Run & Shoot, Warren Moon had some of His best seasons in the R & S under Jack Pardee.

As far as Air Raid QBs not having success at the next level, you can say the same thing about Stanford's QBs after Luck...and how many of Saban's QBs did anything in the NFL?

As far as Hawaii QBs, I believe Timmy Chang would've been looked at differently today, Chang was a bad boy.
Agree on most of those QBs. However it's not because of the system they achieved or failed to achieve success. It's because they've been basic,serviceable quarterbacks and not much more. They've never brought In QBs who were monsters. They've just brought in QBs who wouldnt cost them games. Until recently they simply rely on defense and their running game. If just winning on the college level is all that matters to the kids than nothing wrong with that.

Advertisement
The Spread is real. They'll learn. Patience, Danielson Enos.

The NFL doesn't give a **** what offense you played in in College, they only care about you having the innate skills to play at their level.

Look at Mayfield & Mahomes, ****, Trubisky played in a spread at UNC, & Joe Montana was an option QB.

Tired of this "square peg, round hole" BS, just score baby.

People seem to not understand that the NFL is smart enough to evolve offenses around the players they get. Spread concepts are becoming more and more popular.

The Cardinals spent millions on a coach to come and specifically run a spread offense with a 5'10" QB. If that doesn't tell u anything idk what will.

10 years from now the "pro-style" offense will be, more often than not, ran from shotgun.

Some of you guys are so full of it. You try discounting Urban Meyer and his Heisman/National Championship QBs because of what his QBs did in the NFL? You act like you can't find any footage of any of his QBs under center?! LOL! Maybe basketball should go back to those old school fundementals when people didn't dunk.

There is no valid defense for this. Regardless of what they played in highschool they all (except nkosi) had long term private coaches. They all should know the fundamentals of the position. High school be dammed

Not only that, but they ARE in college. What in the heck was Mark and Jon doing with these kids, playing pitty patt?

Advertisement
People seem to not understand that the NFL is smart enough to evolve offenses around the players they get. Spread concepts are becoming more and more popular.

The Cardinals spent millions on a coach to come and specifically run a spread offense with a 5'10" QB. If that doesn't tell u anything idk what will.

10 years from now the "pro-style" offense will be, more often than not, ran from shotgun.

We want a competent QB now....not 10 years from now buddy.

It tells me the cardinals (the same team who just drafted a pro set qb in the first round last year, who just hired a coach who was fired several months ago on the college level) still dont know how to get out of their own way. They ate desperate to try to make something work & this is another step in that process. But obviously there is exceptions. Nothing wrong with going outside of the norm. But realize it's nowhere near the norm what's being spoke on.

It tells me the cardinals (the same team who just drafted a pro set qb in the first round last year, who just hired a coach who was fired several months ago on the college level) still dont know how to get out of their own way. They ate desperate to try to make something work & this is another step in that process. But obviously there is exceptions. Nothing wrong with going outside of the norm. But realize it's nowhere near the norm what's being spoke on.

Exactly. NFL pace has picked up and offensive timing has changed but QB play and whats needed to win hasn't. People love the word "spread" and don't really understand how these NFL systems are simply not that. Guys see a QB in shotgun and automatically call it a spread offense

I feel like so many of you just want to argue for the sake of arguing

dsd has played this game at a level all of us will only dream of, yet you question his thoughts?

this is like playing college ball and having to learn how to bounce a basketball.

Advertisement

dsd has played this game at a level all of us will only dream of, yet you question his thoughts?

this is like playing college ball and having to learn how to bounce a basketball.
Yep. I started the thread because guys that have played here at a very high level voiced concern over our QB play. Needless to say the experts here have to chime in with the usual responses. Well, it looks like my guys knew what they were talking about because here is Manny' quote after yesterday's practice:

After drills on Tuesday, head coach Manny Diaz said he is still pushing to see more from his QB’s and wants to see them cut down on errors.

“Number one, I want to see who makes the least bad mistakes,” Diaz said. “And then it comes down to decision making and accuracy.”

When the HC is looking for the guy who "makes the least bad mistakes" our QBs are struggling!

It's no pressure brother. I understand we all have our own thoughts. I respect that. Long as it's kept civil I don't mind the discussion long as I have time. They're is valid points brought up. Sports are just like music and fashion. Something trends for awhile before it returns to a norm. What's old is new etc...

Exactly. NFL pace has picked up and offensive timing has changed but QB play and whats needed to win hasn't. People love the word "spread" and don't really understand how these NFL systems are simply not that. Guys see a QB in shotgun and automatically call it a spread offense

Well the spread has **** near taken over the league , The nfl is straight stealing from college. There’s a reason AZ hired kingsbury.

There’s a reason these spread qbs are jumping up the draft board , no matter how short or skinny they are.

This just hasn’t started either.

There was a stat on the nfl network a few months ago that nfl offenses are in spread majority of the time. Pretty much saying the script has flipped , the nfl is now taking from college , it’s always been the opposite.

It is what it is ah this point.

Also the whole “ gimmick “ offense to describe Urbans o is absolute bs, it’s basic power football in a spread formation. Gimmicks don’t continually pile up huge stats every year and win nattys.

Advertisement
Well the spread has **** near taken over the league , The nfl is straight stealing from college. There’s a reason AZ hired kingsbury.

There’s a reason these spread qbs are jumping up the draft board , no matter how short or skinny they are.

This just hasn’t started either.

There was a stat on the nfl network a few months ago that nfl offenses are in spread majority of the time. Pretty much saying the script has flipped , the nfl is now taking from college , it’s always been the opposite.

It is what it is ah this point.

Also the whole “ gimmick “ offense to describe Urbans o is absolute bs, it’s basic power football in a spread formation. Gimmicks don’t continually pile up huge stats every year and win nattys.
Dennis Erickson ran an offense that many referred to as a gimmick. It evolved into another gimmick, the modern day spread. Both concepts have worked well.

Dennis Erickson ran an offense that many referred to as a gimmick. It evolved into another gimmick, the modern day spread. Both concepts have worked well.

Yep, it was just the spread under center.

I always found “ gimmick” to describe the spread as silly. It’s just a word people use who can’t let go of the old way of playing football.

I remember arguing here and caneinsider about this , now all of cfb and the nfl use spread principles.

Football is always changing.

Yep, it was just the spread under center.

I always found “ gimmick” to describe the spread as silly. It’s just a word people use who can’t let go of the old way of playing football.

I remember arguing here and caneinsider about this , now all of cfb and the nfl use spread principles.

Football is always changing.
Coach E was way ahead of the times. Brilliant offensive mind.

Advertisement
Back