QB Brandon Wimbush update

bama just offered....may b a game changer

Sounds like he was going to pull te trigger for PSU, but wants to take look at Bama, which I am sure Fitzpatrick is pushing for.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2014/05/alabama_enters_the_fray_for_pe.html

In “the hot spot” or not, Penn State faces stiff competition in the late recruitment of Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter’s Prep quarterback Brandon Wimbush. The four-star prospect is considering Penn State and Ohio State, among others, and just yesterday received a scholarship offer from Alabama.

The Crimson Tide offer could be significant with coach Nick Saban already having secured a commitment from five-star cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick, Wimbush’s teammate at St. Peter’s Prep. Wimbush now has 17 total offers, including PSU, OSU, Miami, LSU, Michigan State and South Carolina.

The Nittany Lions are still widely viewed as the team to beat as Wimbush’s recruitment comes down to the final weeks. He told NJ.com’s Todderick Hunt after the Nike Football Training Camp in Florham Park, N.J., over the weekend that he would “make my decision in probably a month or so.”

Wimbush has already said a visit to Ohio State could be in the cards for the coming weeks, giving coach Urban Meyer a chance at a closing pitch. He also told 247sports.com that he’s now considering a visit to Alabama for later this month.

Virginia and Ohio State were the first schools to offer Wimbush last year, but there’s been a running link with Penn State. He attended a Nittany Lions camps last summer and got an offer from then-coach Bill O’Brien last fall. He participated in Junior Day on Feb. 15 and took an unofficial visit on March 22.

Wimbush is a prime target for the Nittany Lions as a potential down-the-road successor to rising sophomore quarterback Christian Hackenberg. Wimbush is an accomplished passer who continues to improve the finer points of his game, but at 6-2 and 205 pounds, he’s also a dynamic athlete and runner, ranking as the No. 5 dual-threat quarterback in the nation by 247sports.com.

Like many of the recruits who have given a commitment to Penn State, Wimbush has been impressed by first-year coach James Franklin and the energy of the entire staff. In Franklin’s first full recruiting cycle, the Nittany Lions have the No. 2 class in the country behind only Alabama, according to Rivals.com.

“[Penn State is] just an awesome staff and very exciting,” Wimbush said. “They’re really at the hot spot right now, I feel like. They’ve recruited me, probably one of the hardest teams out there. I’m excited and I know they’re excited.”

Advertisement
bama just offered....may b a game changer

Sounds like he was going to pull te trigger for PSU, but wants to take look at Bama, which I am sure Fitzpatrick is pushing for.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2014/05/alabama_enters_the_fray_for_pe.html

In “the hot spot” or not, Penn State faces stiff competition in the late recruitment of Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter’s Prep quarterback Brandon Wimbush. The four-star prospect is considering Penn State and Ohio State, among others, and just yesterday received a scholarship offer from Alabama.

The Crimson Tide offer could be significant with coach Nick Saban already having secured a commitment from five-star cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick, Wimbush’s teammate at St. Peter’s Prep. Wimbush now has 17 total offers, including PSU, OSU, Miami, LSU, Michigan State and South Carolina.

The Nittany Lions are still widely viewed as the team to beat as Wimbush’s recruitment comes down to the final weeks. He told NJ.com’s Todderick Hunt after the Nike Football Training Camp in Florham Park, N.J., over the weekend that he would “make my decision in probably a month or so.”

Wimbush has already said a visit to Ohio State could be in the cards for the coming weeks, giving coach Urban Meyer a chance at a closing pitch. He also told 247sports.com that he’s now considering a visit to Alabama for later this month.

Virginia and Ohio State were the first schools to offer Wimbush last year, but there’s been a running link with Penn State. He attended a Nittany Lions camps last summer and got an offer from then-coach Bill O’Brien last fall. He participated in Junior Day on Feb. 15 and took an unofficial visit on March 22.

Wimbush is a prime target for the Nittany Lions as a potential down-the-road successor to rising sophomore quarterback Christian Hackenberg. Wimbush is an accomplished passer who continues to improve the finer points of his game, but at 6-2 and 205 pounds, he’s also a dynamic athlete and runner, ranking as the No. 5 dual-threat quarterback in the nation by 247sports.com.

Like many of the recruits who have given a commitment to Penn State, Wimbush has been impressed by first-year coach James Franklin and the energy of the entire staff. In Franklin’s first full recruiting cycle, the Nittany Lions have the No. 2 class in the country behind only Alabama, according to Rivals.com.

“[Penn State is] just an awesome staff and very exciting,” Wimbush said. “They’re really at the hot spot right now, I feel like. They’ve recruited me, probably one of the hardest teams out there. I’m excited and I know they’re excited.”

He's going to sit behind Hackenburg for 1 year and start his Sophomore year doesn't sound bad or even can even red shirt as well.

Sounds like it is time unfortunately for Miami to look a little harder at 2015 QB Ryan "Sunshine" Stanley as Peter Ariz had mentioned in another thread.

http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/74365-2015-QB-Ryan-quot-Sunshine-quot-Stanley-taking-off?highlight=sunshine

If we lose out on Wimbush I would think Coley will then accept Tiano's commitment. I am glad the staff is still hard on Fitzpatrick cause I have a feeling he is a big influence for Wimbush, if the possibility is there for them to play together. Fitzpatrick said he is coming back to visit Miami this despite being a bama commit, which is always good.

Go Canes

[video=youtube_share;b_donJqX2FU]http://youtu.be/b_donJqX2FU[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
No black QB will start at Bama in the near future.

I believe they've had black QBs in the past. Andrew Zow was one, I think he started for three years. Walter Lewis was another. Do you mean because of a different coaching regime now?

Lewis, I think, came in 9th in the '83 Heisman, despite a mediocre record: 1991 passing yards and more int's than TDs. Still, he was the first starting black QB. It wouldn't surprise me if there is some subtle racism going on in their recruitment of QBs. It seems that HS QB ratings, like the Elite 11's, favor straight drop-back pro style. A lot of the best black QBs seem to be typecast as dual threat despite some being elite passers. Did Alabama recruit Jameis "Crabclaw" Winston hard? They didn't recruit Rosier at all, it seems, although he is really a sleeper.

Oops...didn't see Oblivion's post. Yes, Zow and Lewis, and they've had a bunch other who were backups, including several who ended up at WR. I suspect a problem with a lot of black QBs, especially in the south is the fact they play QB in HS because they're the best athlete on the team and the HS teams use them as much for all-purpose, and not just passing. Also, I wonder if the kids who come from the small southern towns and inner city have the access to or money for QB clinics, camps, and special tutoring. Look at Kaaya, who has already had a ton of tutoring and is now spending time in Arizona with his QB tutor. Did Jacory or other black guys that come out of south Florida HS's really have as much of this development? Does a family living in Liberty City whose son goes to MNW have the money for the kid to spend a lot of time with a special QB tutor?

You guys know better than I do. I love the California QBs, they all seem to be well-schooled and have a lot of extra training and coaching. This year, though, it seems we're emphasizing the eastern part of the U.S. more, maybe just because that's where the kids are that are interested in us. It also seems Coley wants the pro-style dropback passer (Kaaya) but also wants to bring in kids who are dual threat like Rosier.

Last edited:

They're likely gonna start one this year. Though I do agree with the point you're implying.

Is Jacob Coker black? It seems they have already given him the job. Announcers at their spring game were laughing and saying the guys that played were playing for 2nd on the depth chart.

1.jpeg

They're likely gonna start one this year. Though I do agree with the point you're implying.

Is Jacob Coker black? It seems they have already given him the job. Announcers at their spring game were laughing and saying the guys that played were playing for 2nd on the depth chart.

1.jpeg

Doesn't look black...:ibisroflmao:

I don't care if you sleep with them, just don't let them play qb at one of my games. Bama should only start delicate white or Latino QBs.

Advertisement
brandon wimbush ‏@BrandonW_7 7m
I will be committing with @BleacherReport tomorrow evening... #VTech#OSU#Miami#PSU#BC

Advertisement
Back