QB Battle

Advertisement
It will probably be Rosier and with an improved OL and Storm 18 playmakers all over the field we should have a good chance at the playoffs.

If it is Perry or Weldon or Williams I think we can still make the playoffs but let's face reality here. They are unknown commodities who have never played at this level before. Yes, there have been lots of first year players lead their teams to championships and playoffs recently but very rarely do they beat out an incumbent Senior who put up school record TD numbers and had double digit wins from the year before. The first Year Qbs around the college landscape who start usually beat out no names or QBs that were losers.

Of course I could be wrong.
If one of those three wins the job then that means they really are special. And I mean National Championship Heisman special.

Let the competition begin next week.

Rosier isn’t a natural QB, he’s a baseball player. When you can’t go through progressions and couple that with a horribly inaccurate arm, your offense is going to stall. Our athletes bailed him out as well as the defense.

When you objectively look back at last year, yes it was fun and special going 10-1 for the first time in forever, we were lucky to get by a depleted and broken FSU, GT, Syracuse, Virginia, and UNC. 4 of those teams should be blow outs on a yearly basis.

We thank Rosier for his toughness but it’s time to move into the future.

Not really, when you consider the starter was below average last year. It's not like he's trying to unseat Baker Mayfield or someone that is actually polished in their craft. If a true freshman ever had a decent shot it it, it's an EE Williams.
Yes. Really.

It’s not just about beating out a below average senior incumbent. He’ll need to jump 2 other excellent prospects with experience in the system. How many reps do you think a 4th team QB will get in the course of spring and summer practice?

I’m not saying he can’t do it. I’m saying it’ll be a Herculean task. Yet we have a lot of people in here thinking there’s a good shot he’ll win the job.

#12 will start vs lsu but after that game whoever won the backup job will be getting reps no matter what.
Just my belief

Advertisement
Some players thrive under pressure then again some get nervous and jittery.don't think rosier could handle the speed and pressure of a game.hint all those last drive wins that shouldn't been that close due to all the turn overseas the defense got.we can't live on just a big play here and there.need an offense that can drive the field on a 10-12 play td scoring drive.when we can do that we will be able to beat anyone.

Yes. Really.

It’s not just about beating out a below average senior incumbent. He’ll need to jump 2 other excellent prospects with experience in the system. How many reps do you think a 4th team QB will get in the course of spring and summer practice?

I’m not saying he can’t do it. I’m saying it’ll be a Herculean task. Yet we have a lot of people in here thinking there’s a good shot he’ll win the job.
I believe he is coming in far better prepared than both Weldon and Perry, and is far more talented than Rosier. Yes it is a difficult task, but the job is ripe for the picking. If he came in late, I’d say no chance, but coming in early increases his odds greatly.

It's year 3, unless Rosier grows leaps and bounds there is no excuse for a quarterback of his caliber to be starting at Miami.

I’m up here in New York. Can’t wait for spring ball. Let’s trust CMR. He knows much more about the position and probably the game than most of us. Can’t wait to see who emerges as #1.

Advertisement
Rosier's problems weren't mechanics, or that he was 10 lbs heavy. His problem was simply not being able to make reads and get the ball accurately to his targets when he did. Those problems won't be fixed with mechanics or salad.

Actually once Rosier's shoulder became injured he added some compensatory mechanisms that weren't ideal. Earlier in the year I have him throwing a perfectly thrown seem to Berrios. Stride was more compact, Rosier was upright after the throw, balanced. Fast forward to around the UNC game. Same concept to Berrios and Rosier was a lot more elongated in his base. (I had him at least 10 inches longer from the exact time of the release in stride distance)

The ball was caught but ultimately it was inaccurate and Berrios did not have any run after the catch potential. He has problems being a consistent mechanical entity delivering the football.

The guy competes. I love his attitude and refusal to quit. I just don’t know enough about the injury and how much it affected him. Spring will tell.

Actually once Rosier's shoulder became injured he added some compensatory mechanisms that weren't ideal. Earlier in the year I have him throwing a perfectly thrown seem to Berrios. Stride was more compact, Rosier was upright after the throw, balanced. Fast forward to around the UNC game. Same concept to Berrios and Rosier was a lot more elongated in his base. (I had him at least 10 inches longer from the exact time of the release in stride distance)

The ball was caught but ultimately it was inaccurate and Berrios did not have any run after the catch potential. He has problems being a consistent mechanical entity delivering the football.
Explain the first half of the Toledo game. Most of the Bethune game. Heck, pretty much every game leading up to the UNC game when he got hurt. Mechanics were not his main problem. Sure, an injury would make him worse, but he was already quite bad to begin with.

Explain the first half of the Toledo game. Most of the Bethune game. Heck, pretty much every game leading up to the UNC game when he got hurt. Mechanics were not his main problem. Sure, an injury would make him worse, but he was already quite bad to begin with.[/QUOTE

My intention wasn't to totally excuse Rosier's inaccuracy on mechanical reasons only to accentuate it. He does have some mechanical faults that arise from time to time that cause him to be less accurate. But like I believe you are alluding to, sure there is more than just the mechanical side.

Ultimately Rosier has deep roots to baseball and his delivery is somewhat equivocal to a baseball throw. He is not a short rotational C thrower. He tends to be a long deliverer of the football. I do not like that for essentially two reasons. 1. It allows the db more time to break on the ball. 2. The more accentuated you are with a wind up the more that has a propensity to go wrong mechanically.

Then as the season progressed and as Rosier got more comfortable with the offense, I think he became a little too predetermined with his reads. PITT game was an example of that with some zone blitzes. Rosier was content to hit slants and a lot were batted down or disrupted repeatedly. That would be an example off the top of my head I can think of. Read it. Don't just throw it.

You go ahead and combine those two issues, mechanical faults with misreading the coverage and you will get a less accurate quarterback. Mechanics are definitely part of the problem at times. That I can promise you.

Advertisement
Then as the season progressed and as Rosier got more comfortable with the offense, I think he became a little too predetermined with his reads. PITT game was an example of that with some zone blitzes. Rosier was content to hit slants and a lot were batted down or disrupted repeatedly. That would be an example off the top of my head I can think of. Read it. Don't just throw it.

That's it right there. Rosier has, and always will be, a one-read QB. Now, you can gameplan around that to an extent, and I think Richt did as good a job as can be expected mitigating Rosier's limitations. Rosier was being told "here's your guy, if he's not open, tuck and run" because that's the extent of Rosier's skillset as a QB. Eventually, any competent DC with a modicum of game film is going to get hip to that and see that Rosier just doesn't read the field. Add even a little bit of disguise or change to a defensive coverage and he's toast.

Mechanically, as Roman pointed out, that elongated delivery really affects timing - late on deep throws, late on timing routes like slants/curls - so even if Rosier made the right read, often the WR would have to make a ridiculous catch where maybe another QB hits him in stride (or finds a more open receiver.)

I guess my point was that mechanics were not his main issue, and that fixing his mechanics won’t fix the bigger faults. I believe as a 5th year senior his time to fix those issues has almost expired. It also makes me think that he just doesn’t have the natural talent to excel at the position. Enough to be adequate, but not enough to truly get us to the next level. That being said, I hope he takes a huge step forward and proves me wrong.

I think some of the big plays Rosier made early masked a ton of the issues he had all year, then plagued him and the team for the rest of the season.

IF not for the big throw at FSU all we would remember about that game was the 19-44 passing. Our defensive rromp against Virginia Tech hid the three picks that even kept that game close. Again, llast second heroics helped us after that inexplicalbe INT he threw in UNC's redzone that could have iced what had been an atrocious offensive game before that point.

Finally when the clock hit 0.00 at Pitt the invetiable come to Jesus moment hit. QB play finally cost us a game.

So I respect how tough Malik was all last season, but all the warning signs were there before, during and after the shoulder injury in Chapel Hill.

Sometimes we forget other teams give very good players scholarships, have top coaches and can game plan as well. Once the film on Malik started piling up his tendencies, deficiencies and fall back play grew just as much.

Think that's why the ability to move, improvise and make plays on the fly is so important in today's game.

Don't think Rosier is or can ever be that kind of QB. Hoping Perry or even Williams is.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There seems to be a theory around here that Richt is going to start Malik against LSU and if he bombs, move on. Here's the thing though, if Richt starts Malik versus LSU that means none of the other quarterbacks did anything in practice and our QB situation is near dire. If Perry, Williams or Weldon outplay Rosier in practice, they're starting against LSU. It would be dumb to start Rosier if he was outplayed in a quarterback competition.

I am in no way a Rosier supporter but he made a tremendous leap from his sophomore to Junior season. As a Sophomore he looked like he had no business on a football field, ever!!! His Junior year he was hot and cold and got worse as the year progressed. Unless one of the underclassmen clearly beats him out in the fall, he more than likely will be the starter, but I am sure he will be on a short leash. I can not see him remaining the starter if he plays like he did last year. Hopefully he can make another leap this year and become a quality starter who can actually hit the receivers in stride. Or one of these other guys has the goods to take his job!!!

The coaching staff must find a way to get these underclassmen some game time experience. Even if it's just a series handing off the ball.

I guess my point was that mechanics were not his main issue, and that fixing his mechanics won’t fix the bigger faults. I believe as a 5th year senior his time to fix those issues has almost expired. It also makes me think that he just doesn’t have the natural talent to excel at the position. Enough to be adequate, but not enough to truly get us to the next level. That being said, I hope he takes a huge step forward and proves me wrong.

I've mentioned this before but well respected qb guru Tom house essentially told Blake bortles his mechanics at the NFL level were "some of the worst he seen"

Talk about brutal honesty. Ultimately Blake was an exaggerated wind up thrower. Now for all the criticism bortles received, he should be commended for how he improved mechanically this year. His releese from one year to the next was jaw dropping.

That is one case where the "right qb coach" with the "right minded receptive qb" can post dividends.

I think rosier can improve from both a mechanical standpoint and a read standpoint. He just needs to be "right minded."

That's it right there. Rosier has, and always will be, a one-read QB. Now, you can gameplan around that to an extent, and I think Richt did as good a job as can be expected mitigating Rosier's limitations. Rosier was being told "here's your guy, if he's not open, tuck and run" because that's the extent of Rosier's skillset as a QB. Eventually, any competent DC with a modicum of game film is going to get hip to that and see that Rosier just doesn't read the field. Add even a little bit of disguise or change to a defensive coverage and he's toast.

Mechanically, as Roman pointed out, that elongated delivery really affects timing - late on deep throws, late on timing routes like slants/curls - so even if Rosier made the right read, often the WR would have to make a ridiculous catch where maybe another QB hits him in stride (or finds a more open receiver.)

To tag team off ghost. Towards the end of the season the seeming book on rosier was to "bait" the pre read look.

The iz/slant rpo or iz/ bubble "looked" open from the jump. But teams really were just funneling it and manipulating it imo.

Now this is where the issue becomes compounded. If the qb continuously is letting the "robber down" "zone blitz" and off coverage switch fool him then maybe the coaches need to anticipate the tenancy they are presenting.

Richt does have options within his route concepts to apply universal coverage beating. Rosier just doesn't hit them at high levels. Plus he's not a great reset gather qb.

So Richt needs to imo take a page from what Philadelphia did to new England in terms of rpo adjustment.

Rosier's batted balls are CONSISTENTLY in the slant/curl area (yeah I remember the bubble in the orange bowl)

So adjust the slant to a whip...or wheel. That is where I feel Philly did an excellent job. Lot of perimeter focused rpo's away from the mess.

Advertisement
Back