QB Battle

I hope all you wanna be coaches realize we will be relying on a lot of first year players or freshmen on both sides of the ball .I hope you all understand they will make plays but they will also make mistakes.so don't make em a hero one moment then crucify them when they make a mistake.they are not vets out there.

Advertisement
I hope all you wanna be coaches realize we will be relying on a lot of first year players or freshmen on both sides of the ball .I hope you all understand they will make plays but they will also make mistakes.so don't make em a hero one moment then crucify them when they make a mistake.they are not vets out there.

Don't worry. They will do both.

been hearing this for years now

Maliks problem is he shoulda stuck with baseball... hes just not that good. Im sorry to the people who say we won ten games & all his bubble screens got him such s great season but im ready for a qb who can open things up & make atleast MOST of the throws necessary instead of several...

Bottom line, Im grateful for his contributions last year. He was absolutely a big part of it. But I also think by the end of the year he hit his ceiling and all his limitations were there for the world(and all the defensive coordinators)to see.

My biggest proble is that I want my QB(cue Terrell Owens meme) to be a guy who lives and breathes football. Who has been completely consumed by the game. Its the first thing he thinks off when he wakes up and the last thing he thinks about as he puts his head to the pillow(yeah, Im corny that way). A first in, last out of the building guy. In my view, there's a lot of other positions in football where you can have a casual approach to the game - QB is absolutely the one spot where you can't. To me, every QB that comes through UM I want them to have had NFL aspirations since they were a kid. It has to be THAT important to them. This is their thing, nothing else. They put all their eggs in this basket athletically. Malik, ehhh, if he could hit breaking balls he'd be on a diamond right now and not the gridiron

Ive just heard from too many people - Rosier isn't a consummate 'football guy'. And I realize that there's a chance that might not be any of the other guys currently on the roster, either, I get that. But I don't think Rosier can suddenly become that guy, it's not his DNA and there's too much of a learning curve for him to overcome in that regard.

Im a realist, I get that Rosier might start vs LSU, the real question to me is how many games( if any) before Richt makes a call to the bullpen

Last edited:
Richt has done the right thing naming Rosier his starter but always maintaing this is an open competition. Have to keep the young guys hungry and motivated while letting Rosier know he's going to have to elevate his game to have any shot of keeping his job.

It's a win win for the team and the coaches. Imo Rosier has hit his ceiling, just need Perry to take the job by the throat and not let it go.

God help us all if he can't.

Advertisement
Bottom line, Im grateful for his contributions last year. He was absolutely a big part of it. But I also think by the end of the year he hit his ceiling and all his limitations were there for the world(and all the defensive coordinators)to see.

My biggest proble is that I want my QB(cue Terrell Owens meme) to be a guy who lives and breathes football. Who has been completely consumed by the game. Its the first thing he thinks off when he wakes up and the last thing he thinks about as he puts his head to the pillow(yeah, Im corny that way). A first in, last out of the building guy. In my view, there's a lot of other positions in football where you can have a casual approach to the game - QB is absolutely the one spot where you can't. To me, every QB that comes through UM I want them to have had NFL aspirations since they were a kid. It has to be THAT important to them. This is their thing, nothing else. They put all their eggs in this basket athletically. Malik, ehhh, if he could hit breaking balls he'd be on a diamond right now and not the gridiron

Ive just heard from too many people - Rosier isn't a consummate 'football guy'. And I realize that there's a chance that might not be any of the other guys currently on the roster, either, I get that. But I don't think Rosier can suddenly become that guy, it's not his DNA and there's too much of a learning curve for him to overcome in that regard.

Im a realist, I get that Rosier might start vs LSU, the real question to me is how many games( if any) before Richt makes a call to the bullpen
If Rosier is the starter against LSU (and I don’t think he will be), Rick will have a quicker hook than George “Sparky” Anderson. Before the first 10 yard pass hits the ground after sailing over a wide open receiver’s head, Perry will be trotting on the field like Senor Smoke Lopez.

If Rosier is the starter against LSU (and I don’t think he will be), Rick will have a quicker hook than George “Sparky” Anderson. Before the first 10 yard pass hits the ground after sailing over a wide open receiver’s head, Perry will be trotting on the field like Senor Smoke Lopez.
The problem i have with that scenario is the young guys will get limited reps with the 1st team heading into the game. The 1st guy gets 80% of the reps, the 2nd guy gets about 20% while the coaches are installing the game plan. Standing along the side listening in is not the same. Let's move on and let one of the youngins get their feet wet. There will be 1st qtr struggles from butterflies, big crowd, P5 opponent...but they will settle in. CMR will look to establish the run early, with some play-action off the run. Quick passes here and there to let the youngin get a feel for the game. Take high % shots down field when we get the matchups we like and play some freakin great defense. We MUST win 3rd down on both sides of the ball; period, end of discussion..CANESthang

Last edited:

LOL, 'Captain Hook' would **** off his starters by pulling them in in the 6th inning with guys throwing 2 hitters up 3-0.

Season opener with an SEC 9-4 team and not FAMU or Bethune-Cookman is a good thing. CMR has to get serious about vetting a QB to start the 2018 season so we don't start 0-1. If Rosier happens to take the first snap against LSU and flounders right out of the starting gates, I do hope that CMR does the fastest Sandman Sims at the Apollo routine in history.

Advertisement
“We went up 17 points, and when they started catching up, nothing I did really helped the team get back on track and take the lead over,” he said. “That’s something we’re trying to fix, we’re trying to change.”

Nah, we went up 17, and our OC called a dum@$$ tunnel screen to Berrios that resulted in a pick and it halted all our momentum.

Granted Malik maybe shouldn't have thrown that pass, but still, when did we ever call a tunnel screen to Berrios before that?...and if we did, I seriously doubt it worked.

Nah, we went up 17, and our OC called a dum@$$ tunnel screen to Berrios that resulted in a pick and it halted all our momentum.

Granted Malik maybe shouldn't have thrown that pass, but still, when did we ever call a tunnel screen to Berrios before that?...and if we did, I seriously doubt it worked.

Or maybe Van Ginkel made a great play, aided by the fact that McDermott whiffed on his cut block.

Or maybe Van Ginkel made a great play, aided by the fact that McDermott whiffed on his cut block.

True, but even if that pass was completed, it wouldn't have gotten much. Best option on that play to me, was Homer 1 on 1 vs a LB.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Richt as an OC for the most part, but at times, He can get too cute for my liking.

Last edited:
My disappointment wouldn't be in the young guys, they can't force Richt to name them the starter. I wouldn't be shocked for one second if Richt gave it to Rosier to start the season, which is what worries me.

What I really hope is that Richt doesn't bet the house on the 5th year Senior & have it backfire on us. This season could be special, we have enough talent to not just make to the ACCCG, but actually win it this year. Can't keep allowing old Folden era QB's to hold us back.

Richt has 3 young guns that he recruited, if all these other teams in P5/G5 ball are developing & starting TF/Red Frosh/Sophomore QB's while still winning big & contending Miami should be able to do the same.
👀

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back