Off-Topic **** Qatar

FIFA ceded complete control of it from the start. Was basically the epitome of a country trying to sportswash but refusing to play the game on their end.

There's no way in **** a guy a healthy as Wahl that just coincidentally was the most antagonistic member of the media toward the host country just happened to drop dead of natural causes.
also sorry I said it was sky sports. I was wrong. it was danish tv I guess.

Advertisement
Qataris aren't this dumb.

Also, WTF did he think was going to happen wearing that shirt?

You people who aren't well traveled don't realize their are real countires, with real people, who have VERY different world views.

'Fək around and find out.
I mean they openly had slave labor build the stadiums and it’s not like the Saudis didn’t do something more egregious to a journalist in recent times.

Can't wait to see porster correlations between "Qataris murdered Grant Wahl" and "election deniers are nut jobs"...

z8AJNUSLDgNvG.gif

Advertisement
Can't wait to see porster correlations between "Qataris murdered Grant Wahl" and "election deniers are nut jobs"...

View attachment 218768
A lot of people suggesting that Qatar murdered him would probably scoff and roll their eyes at someone jumping to the conclusion that the vaccine killed him

Last edited:
Advertisement
I mean they openly had slave labor build the stadiums and it’s not like the Saudis didn’t do something more egregious to a journalist in recent times.
Openly using slave labor is a real thing in a lot of countries. I spent a lot of time in India building an international terminal in Mumbai. All the guys working there were paid little to nothing and just food and shelter was considered fair pay. I would give money out of my own pocket to a lot of them.

Openly using slave labor is a real thing in a lot of countries. I spent a lot of time in India building an international terminal in Mumbai. All the guys working there were paid little to nothing and just food and shelter was considered fair pay. I would give money out of my own pocket to a lot of them.
first generation American with parents from India. the **** I saw whenever I would visit

Advertisement
HBO's Real Sports did a pretty good story on the entire indentured servitude system that was used to build the infrastructure for this World Cup. The Qatari officials that appeared in it absolutely would lead one to believe they're brazen enough to kill an American journalist on their soil.

Advertisement
Question...

I don't care about wearing rainbow shirts obviously (I have a few *** peeps in my family). But why do people want to poke the bear by going to a place like Qatar (cutter or ka-tar?), that doesn't like the rainbow stuff, and wear that type of stuff that's gonna **** them off?

In 2026 when the World Cup is in the US... would we be cool with other countries fans coming here with anti-LGBTQ shirts?

It's like going to Russia with a little bit of weed oil and thinking that it would be total cool with them if they find it in your luggage.

The saying used to be "when in Rome". But some peeps think they need to push their **** on everyone else, like they are morally superior

Question...

I don't care about wearing rainbow shirts obviously (I have a few *** peeps in my family). But why do people want to poke the bear by going to a place like Qatar (cutter or ka-tar?), that doesn't like the rainbow stuff, and wear that type of stuff that's gonna **** them off?

In 2026 when the World Cup is in the US... would we be cool with other countries fans coming here with anti-LGBTQ shirts?

It's like going to Russia with a little bit of weed oil and thinking that it would be total cool with them if they find it in your luggage.

The saying used to be "when in Rome". But some peeps think they need to push their **** on everyone else, like they are morally superior
You don't think foreign journalists will "poke the bear" when in the US? I'd also posit that if a foreign journalist showed up here wearing garb that said "Marriage is between a man and woman" that large segments of both this country and its media would celebrate that individual.

I get your overall point but when a country hosts an event like this there's an onus to bend at least momentarily from cultural/governmental rigidity that you find in the Middle East or other places. China and Russia have both done it in the past. Qatar hasn't and FIFA bears most of that blame.

Question...

It was a simple answer, though I get it was this guys job - just don’t go. The part that was really a farce with it, and they should never have gotten the World Cup for countless reasons, but the EPL and French league and countless others have no problem with these same countries owning teams. So you can’t really complain on this end if you’re allowing it on the other.

@Empirical Cane I am not saying there certainly was foul play but you also can’t rule it out either. It certainly looks fishy that the 48 year old reporter who was kicking up anthills died at a match.

You don't think foreign journalists will "poke the bear" when in the US? I'd also posit that if a foreign journalist showed up here wearing garb that said "Marriage is between a man and woman" that large segments of both this country and its media would celebrate that individual.

I get your overall point but when a country hosts an event like this there's an onus to bend at least momentarily from cultural/governmental rigidity that you find in the Middle East or other places. China and Russia have both done it in the past. Qatar hasn't and FIFA bears most of that blame.
Well I think they will now, yes! But if everyone just went to Qatar and played the game and went home afterwards, no I don’t think they would have

I remember up until probably the early to late 2000s, sports used to be just about sports. Politics and social justice were fought on their own playing fields. Sports has gotten into this garbage of now being a platform for other stuff. It hurts sports overall

Players and fans need to get back into separate states of sports and politics. Sports are where we all go to forget about all that other noise and enjoy a few hours of competition… we need to get back to that

Advertisement
Back