Q&A

Advertisement
Is the teaching different with the coaches that are there now versus in the past?

Which coaches are the most personable (family-, player-oriented)? And which coaches are the best from a technical aspect (as far as how they teach the position/group)?

Thanks in advance

I'd say all of the coaches teach some things different than the previous staff. Coach Rumph is the most liked by all of the players and the most personable. I really liked Coach Dugans as well, he's a great guy and I improved a lot under him in a short amount of time. Technical wise I'd say Coach Cool and Coach Rumph.

Is the teaching different with the coaches that are there now versus in the past?

Which coaches are the most personable (family-, player-oriented)? And which coaches are the best from a technical aspect (as far as how they teach the position/group)?

Thanks in advance

I'd say all of the coaches teach some things different than the previous staff. Coach Rumph is the most liked by all of the players and the most personable. I really liked Coach Dugans as well, he's a great guy and I improved a lot under him in a short amount of time. Technical wise I'd say Coach Cool and Coach Rumph.

Thank you.

Best memory as a Cane?

Hard to name just one but I have a few. Running out of the smoke for the first time was unreal and even better than it looks. I got to play at the end of a few games this year so that culminated a life long dream and goal that I had. Winning the bowl game was an awesome way to finish and knowing I was part of the program's turn around. And I got a pretty big trophy for winning scout player of the year this season, so that was cool getting recognized for all of my hard work.

Advertisement
Nike or Adidas gear? And why?

I like both a lot and used to be a "Nike Person", but I think the partnership with Adidas is better. We get more gear in half a season with Adidas than several years with Nike. I liked how the Nike uniforms looked more, but besides that Adidas has had some awesome designs on the other gear we get.

When did it occur to the team that Golden and co were frauds and had no idea what they were doing/hurting the team?

I think after the FSU loss in 2014 is when he started to lose the team

Was this the year he stated on national TV that he wanted to "keep the game close'?

I'm not sure, its the year we went 6-7. I just remember coming out swinging then taking our foot off the gas once we had a lead. Too many games we ended up playing not to lose rather than playing to win.
What was the locker room like at halftime for that one? I just imagine Folden hugging the toilet while vomiting, trying to come up with a plan to not ****** blow it. That game still haunts me...as do the last two but that one was the worst.

Advertisement
How do current players view recruiting? Do they follow it at all? Do they have any information about certain recruits simply because they might have outside relationships with them or people close to them? Do they get worried that someone might be taking their spot or playing time? How would you handle getting excited about a certain recruit who is highly rated who might see play right away and help the team while having to deal with people you already know on the team at that position who might be losing time due to it?

Nike or Adidas gear? And why?

I like both a lot and used to be a "Nike Person", but I think the partnership with Adidas is better. We get more gear in half a season with Adidas than several years with Nike. I liked how the Nike uniforms looked more, but besides that Adidas has had some awesome designs on the other gear we get.

Wow. Adidas should be here to stay then. Thanks

Austin, any favorite memories from your time at The U?

I posted some in another quote but I do have a funny story from my first season. My first year at UM was also Braxton's freshman season, and I often got called "Baby Brax". A few weeks into the season Ray Lewis III got kicked off, and the coaches moved me to corner for a week for scout team depth before I moved back to receiver. Coach Carroll had me go against Braxton in a 1on1 since he thought it was funny. I hadn't played DB since middle school and didn't know what I was doing, but Braxton ran a Slant and Go with a comeback and I had a great break on the ball and made a diving deflection. All of the DBs and WRs ran onto the field and celebrated and our coaches showed that at the start of the next team meeting, and that was when I started to gain everyone else's respect.

Nagging question.

Do you see a correlation between the 2017 team and the increasing Gross National Product of New Zealand?

Advertisement
When did it occur to the team that Golden and co were frauds and had no idea what they were doing/hurting the team?

I think after the FSU loss in 2014 is when he started to lose the team

Was this the year he stated on national TV that he wanted to "keep the game close'?

I'm not sure, its the year we went 6-7. I just remember coming out swinging then taking our foot off the gas once we had a lead. Too many games we ended up playing not to lose rather than playing to win.
What was the locker room like at halftime for that one? I just imagine Folden hugging the toilet while vomiting, trying to come up with a plan to not ****in blow it. That game still haunts me...as do the last two but that one was the worst.

We were all pretty confident at the half since we had a lead, but knew it should've been bigger since we had some dumb turnovers. Once we saw how the playcalling was in the 3rd quarter is when we started to realize what could happen

Advertisement
How do current players view recruiting? Do they follow it at all? Do they have any information about certain recruits simply because they might have outside relationships with them or people close to them? Do they get worried that someone might be taking their spot or playing time? How would you handle getting excited about a certain recruit who is highly rated who might see play right away and help the team while having to deal with people you already know on the team at that position who might be losing time due to it?

I don't think many players follow recruiting as close as I do, but a lot of the guys on the team personally know kids being recruited so they pay more attention to the high schoolers they know. I think everyone wants good recruits to come in, otherwise we wouldn't have as much success. As far as being afraid to lost PT, this isn't the right school to come to if you're afraid to compete.

Awesome thread, even funnier responses to the funny questions. Crown this thread.

Advertisement
Back