Q & A with Kai-Leon Herbert

mhkemh

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Question & Answer with Miami offensive tackle Kai-Leon Herbert

Interesting Notes, says his current size is 6'5 302. Will graduate May 20 will enroll May 21. His roommate will be Jeff Thomas. He said Macs whole demenor changed when he said he had doubts about Oline coach leaving and not having a coach in place. Seems like a real intelligent young man. Can't wait to get him in the weight room.

Advertisement
He said a school told him he would start day1 and that his family would be taken care of, I wonder who said that?

Good post. Should move to main board. Interesting how he addressed the question of Rumph as a recruiter:

"Coach Rumph is more of a hands on guy. Definitely hands on. When he talks to you, you're going to listen and you're going to get the information from him because it's the best. Recruiting-wise, like I said, he's more hands on, so when he talks to you it's different it's different than how he coaches you. I guess that might be something that he has to work on, but I mean he got me. He got [2018 defensive tackle Nesta Silvera] and he's probably going to get some other guys."

Last edited:
Good post. Should move to main board. Interesting how he addressed the question of Rumph as a recruiter:

"Coach Rumph is more of a hands on guy. Definitely hands on. When he talks to you, you're going to listen and you're going to get the information from him because it's the best. Recruiting-wise, like I said, he's more hands on, so when he talks to you it's different it's different than how he coaches you. I guess that might be something that he has to work on, but I mean he got me. He got [2018 defensive tackle Nesta Silvera] and he's probably going to get some other guys."

I'm failing to see what it is that Rumph needs to work on. Is he supposssed to recruit the same way he coaches or not be so hands-on?

Advertisement

I was wondering about this. Is he saying that Rumph is a better communicator on the field than in recruiting? Whatever the case, he seems to be recruiting well, and he certainly took it to McToofs on this one. How do you not have an answer for a kid wondering who his position coach will be? I get that you don't know the answer, but you have to have so bs about how great the coach you hire will be. Moron.

Very interesting. I'm not sure what he meant by that, but it's interesting to hear him say "he needs to work on that." That's a pretty candid comment from a kid and supports the evidence that tells us recruiting isn't Rumph's strong suit.

"Coach Rumph is more of a hands on guy. Definitely hands on. When he talks to you, you're going to listen and you're going to get the information from him because it's the best. Recruiting

I don't have any doubts about Rumphs ability to coach, but recruiting is different game and he is still learning.

It could be possible his approach looks different than most because he tells it straight up when most of these kids are getting fed a line of B.S. all the other times

Very interesting. I'm not sure what he meant by that, but it's interesting to hear him say "he needs to work on that." That's a pretty candid comment from a kid and supports the evidence that tells us recruiting isn't Rumph's strong suit.
But, "I mean he got me and he got nesta, "I guess you didn't point that out either. Herbert called rumph and he was the 1st coach he told that he was coming to miami

Advertisement

Chise, I think it's tough to interpret the kid's answer because he was hit with a leading question.

I'm sure we can target areas the entire staff can improve in. I mean who wouldn't want see more DT than the one (Nesta) Herbert gave Rumph credit for. If 2018 class is any indication Rumph is vastly improving. If we can pull Campbell and Blades (wink wink) to go along with the current commitments then we can give the entire staff kudos since we know recruiting all positions is a team effort.

Last edited:
Some of our staff isn't the most seasoned of coaches across the country, but they all seem good, sincere, and able to lead, as well as learn. A few of our coaches haven't had to " recruit" before, so they're in some cases..in a OJT type setting from that aspect. But I believe the programs new direction, and the "seasoned" staffers, will help buffer the few learning curves to be encountered. I truly believe the first year, trying to prove its not like the 3 previous staff changes, was the hardest, and it will just get easier from here on out. As a fan you have to like what were seeing, and hearing from these students

But, "I mean he got me and he got nesta, "I guess you didn't point that out either. Herbert called rumph and he was the 1st coach he told that he was coming to miami

Chise and I are both trained lawyers and tend to look for the holes and negatives in things. I haven't practiced in years and I still can't shake those goggles. That said, he made the statement you are alluding to as an attempted recovery, trying to compensate for either Rumph's lack of being the same in approach or being on the same level as other recruiters in his position. That's how I see it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Can he be a LT in college? I don't see it on tape, but coach told him he's a true tackle

"Coach Rumph is more of a hands on guy. Definitely hands on. When he talks to you, you're going to listen and you're going to get the information from him because it's the best. Recruiting

I don't have any doubts about Rumphs ability to coach, but recruiting is different game and he is still learning.

It could be possible his approach looks different than most because he tells it straight up when most of these kids are getting fed a line of B.S. all the other times

I think that's what he meant.Rumph is a straight shooter but could work on his people skills,needs to tell kids what they want to hear sometimes telling kids what they need to hear actually turns them away like it did with Henderson.

Chise and I are both trained lawyers and tend to look for the holes and negatives in things. I haven't practiced in years and I still can't shake those goggles. That said, he made the statement you are alluding to as an attempted recovery, trying to compensate for either Rumph's lack of being the same in approach or being on the same level as other recruiters in his position. That's how I see it.

It's pretty clear to me that if Rumph were a strong recruiter like Banda or Richt, he would have said so. On the other hand, if Rumph continues to coach guys up like he did with his players last year, and we keep winning, that will mostly take care of itself. Kool proves that.

Advertisement

I think that's what he meant.Rumph is a straight shooter but could work on his people skills,needs to tell kids what they want to hear sometimes telling kids what they need to hear actually turns them away like it did with Henderson.

Very possible. Maybe Rumph isn't a smooth operator but a straight shooter...maybe too unrefined and direct at this point??? Either way, his coaching will make him a strong recruiter over time.

It's pretty clear to me that if Rumph were a strong recruiter like Banda or Richt, he would have said so. On the other hand, if Rumph continues to coach guys up like he did with his players last year, and we keep winning, that will mostly take care of itself. Kool proves that.

Yup. I posted virtually the same thing before seeing this.

Exactly! I read it as Rumph needs to learn to twist reality better and/or be a liar.

If a recruit described Coach Kul this way, the trait would be praised and there's no way Kul would be expected to change this approach. And yes, I understand that Kul has more experience and proven outcomes than Rumph as a coach, but we're talking about character and being a man which is very important in life, relationship building and recruiting. I'm sure Rumph knows what to tweak now though, and it's not his integrity.

Exactly! I read it as Rumph needs to learn to twist reality better and/or be a liar.

If a recruit described Coach Kul this way, the trait would be praised and there's no way Kul would be expected to change this approach. And yes, I understand that Kul has more experience and proven outcomes than Rumph as a coach, but we're talking about character and being a man which is very important in life, relationship building and recruiting. I'm sure Rumph knows what to tweak now though, and it's not his integrity.

HarrietTurdmanCane has spoken

Advertisement
Back