Q & A with Kai-Leon Herbert

Good post. Should move to main board. Interesting how he addressed the question of Rumph as a recruiter:

"Coach Rumph is more of a hands on guy. Definitely hands on. When he talks to you, you're going to listen and you're going to get the information from him because it's the best. Recruiting-wise, like I said, he's more hands on, so when he talks to you it's different it's different than how he coaches you. I guess that might be something that he has to work on, but I mean he got me. He got [2018 defensive tackle Nesta Silvera] and he's probably going to get some other guys."

Very interesting. I'm not sure what he meant by that, but it's interesting to hear him say "he needs to work on that." That's a pretty candid comment from a kid and supports the evidence that tells us recruiting isn't Rumph's strong suit.

it isn't. He's learning on the job with that and can get better. But let these fan boys on here tell it. He's pretty new to it...they team him up with Banda a lot which is good. I expect him to improve especially if he can keep getting some draft picks under his belt...but he isn't some Mario Cristobal, Trooper Taylor, (Gators db coach forgot his name) where kids are attracted to him, etc.

T- Rob

Advertisement
If Rumph lands Campbell and gets our current DB class to stick - particularly Jobe - than he will have been very successful in regards to this cycle.

If not, than the in my opinion legitimate questions being asked of him at this point will rightfully continue, as they would with any coach in a similar position.

As far as Coach Kool's recruiting goes, it is also legitimate to question where we are right now on elite DT prospects. I know everyone has trust in him but it is our jobs as fans who care about recruiting to worry about these things.

With all that being said it's still exceptionally early and we will have to see how this all plays out, obviously.

Rumph coached him at Heritage

He coached Surtain too and he's not coming. I don't know what the deal is/was with Rumph and Heritage kids but he hasn't had luck there until Herbert and hopefully Silvera, neither of whom plays the position he actually coaches.

For one some kids ain't interested in Miami like Brian burns. Uga was his top school when coach richt was there. However when richt and Rumph was hired at Miami he didn't show any interest at all. Some kids just don't want to go here. With the tight end nick Eubanks who went to Michigan ,Miami told him that we weren't bringing him in for an official visit because that they day we locked up our top target at tight end in jovani Haskins. With Marco Wilson that kid and his father been bashing Miami since golden didn't offer Quincy and he not all that good either. Ain't losing sleep on that one. Rumph played an integral role in landing Herbert and silvera. Miami wasn't recruiting slaton and with surtain his family has an affinity for lsu. That's where surtain sr is from. We are in a great spot for tyson though. All of those heritage kids love rumph, when you get past the bullsh*t that people have come up with on message boards then you would realize that

I'm just pointing out that we haven't gotten a cornerback from Heritage to date. Ive said before and I'll say it again, I think Rumph's coaching will get him to the next level as a recruiter. As to whether or not all of those Heritage kids love Rumph, I don't know that one way or the other but I hope you're right.

Well in 2015
They had Tavarus McFadden- golden offered him late and never recruited him heavily like that
2016- I don't think they had any dbs of note
2017- Marco Wilson- you know the deal with uf/Wilson family
2018- tyson campbell and surtain. I definitely think we can get Campbell for sure. Outside chance at surtain

If Rumph lands Campbell and gets our current DB class to stick - particularly Jobe - than he will have been very successful in regards to this cycle.

If not, than the in my opinion legitimate questions being asked of him at this point will rightfully continue, as they would with any coach in a similar position.

As far as Coach Kool's recruiting goes, it is also legitimate to question where we are right now on elite DT prospects. I know everyone has trust in him but it is our jobs as fans who care about recruiting to worry about these things.

With all that being said it's still exceptionally early and we will have to see how this all plays out, obviously.

Banda is jobe's main recruiter.
Not really worried about dline recruiting. Miami already has silvera. And are in a good spot with Briggs who is very underrated right now. Also in a good spot with the de who decommitted from fsu. If we are offer chatfield then we defintiely are at or near the top in his recruitment. I think kools Missouri connection with Trevor Trout could be big too. It hurt not landing chatman but from all accounts he was coming to Miami until lsu offered 2 of his teammates. 1 who is a top 75overall player in the country and the other a 5'10 dt

Not really worried about dline recruiting. Miami already has silvera. And are in a good spot with Briggs who is very underrated right now. Also in a good spot with the de who decommitted from fsu. If we are offer chatfield then we defintiely are at or near the top in his recruitment. I think kools Missouri connection with Trevor Trout could be big too. It hurt not landing chatman but from all accounts he was coming to Miami until lsu offered 2 of his teammates. 1 who is a top 75overall player in the country and the other a 5'10 dt

That whole Chatman thing is screwy. That's 3 guys on the same defensive line on a Georgia high school team going to L$U. There was a package deal because one of them won't cut it on his own. I would think that might fall apart at some point.

Advertisement
Good post. Should move to main board. Interesting how he addressed the question of Rumph as a recruiter:

"Coach Rumph is more of a hands on guy. Definitely hands on. When he talks to you, you're going to listen and you're going to get the information from him because it's the best. Recruiting-wise, like I said, he's more hands on, so when he talks to you it's different it's different than how he coaches you. I guess that might be something that he has to work on, but I mean he got me. He got [2018 defensive tackle Nesta Silvera] and he's probably going to get some other guys."

Very interesting. I'm not sure what he meant by that, but it's interesting to hear him say "he needs to work on that." That's a pretty candid comment from a kid and supports the evidence that tells us recruiting isn't Rumph's strong suit.
But, "I mean he got me and he got nesta, "I guess you didn't point that out either. Herbert called rumph and he was the 1st coach he told that he was coming to miami

I didn't forget to mention anything. The kid made a candid comment ("he needs to work on that") then knew he kind of bit off a big chunk and tried to walk it back a little by giving Rumph some credit. You don't need to ride that white horse in for a rescue every time men are having a discussion.

That whole Chatman thing is screwy. That's 3 guys on the same defensive line on a Georgia high school team going to L$U. There was a package deal because one of them won't cut it on his own. I would think that might fall apart at some point.
Uga boards also speculated that chatman grades weren't really good but they have improved this spring. They did say chatman could get offered pretty soon but they might not offer that dt. What's interesting is the dt has a brother who will be top prospect at running back in the class after this one

Such poor logic from a "trained lawyer". So if a Canes fan lives 2hours away from a rival school, then they are a fan of that rival school lol! So all Cane fans that live 2 hours from Tallahassee and Gainesville are Noles and Gayturds I suppose?? U must live at least 2 hours from Gainesville the way U stay on the Gayturds dycks.

You stay on my dyck like an unwanted Bîtch following me, jizzbreath.
And nice shot you took at anyone who posts regularly in the Gator Tears thread or who follows it, Buckeye Bîtch.

The usual Corporate Cane response to change reality and project that I'm following U but U tagged my post with an insult out of nowhere and it's documented right there^, but don't let the obvious stop U from creating a false narrative like Thomas Cooley taught U and the crew whose jockstraps U ride by reposting their jokes and being a sly, instigating and being a cheerleader #facts . Now go get one of your bosses because I don't deal with wannabe and workers.

I didn't go to Thomas Cooley Law School but since you raised it... I have a college friend who did. He's now the President's personal attorney. If you followed the election then you've seen him on TV many times and he's very successful. It's not where you're from, it's where you're at... And as for you ... You're trapped being you and where you're at is in Cleveland. Have a nice day, Buckeye.

Last edited:
Also he is definately gonna need some work if he has to go against Brian burns who worked him in that video expectedly. I like that Herbert has put on more solid weight since I've seen him..I still don't think he has Lt feet..which I saw in the short clip..I see him as a Rte or Rg

Advertisement
You stay on my dyck like an unwanted Bîtch following me, jizzbreath.
And nice shot you took at anyone who posts regularly in the Gator Tears thread or who follows it, Buckeye Bîtch.

The usual Corporate Cane response to change reality and project that I'm following U but U tagged my post with an insult out of nowhere and it's documented right there^, but don't let the obvious stop U from creating a false narrative like Thomas Cooley taught U and the crew whose jockstraps U ride by reposting their jokes and being a sly, instigating and being a cheerleader #facts . Now go get one of your bosses because I don't deal with wannabe and workers.

I didn't go to Thomas Cooley Law School but since you raised it... I have a college friend who did. He's now the President's personal attorney. If you followed the election then you've seen him on TV many times and he's very successful. It's not where you're from, it's where you're at... And as for you ... You're trapped being you and where you're at is in Cleveland. Have a nice day, Buckeye.

Again the logic is poor and this post is a contradiction. Thomas Jefferson Law did a poor job. "It ain't where U from, it's where U at" but where I'm from means everything in your delusions of who I am??? Just another washed up ex lawyer turned blog obsessed antagonist, U wannabe the wrong people and your boy sucks if he is the attorney of one of the most idiotic morons in America. That is only success when U spend 24 a day everyday insulting people and being a keyboard tough guy on a sports blog. Like I said, go fetch me your big homies because U light work and I'm not a bully like they are.

Also he is definately gonna need some work if he has to go against Brian burns who worked him in that video expectedly. I like that Herbert has put on more solid weight since I've seen him..I still don't think he has Lt feet..which I saw in the short clip..I see him as a Rte or Rg

Yea I have no idea why that workout video was posted with that article. It was not flattering for Herbert

Again the logic is poor and this post is a contradiction. Thomas Jefferson Law did a poor job. "It ain't where U from, it's where U at" but where I'm from means everything in your delusions of who I am??? Just another washed up ex lawyer turned blog obsessed antagonist, U wannabe the wrong people and your boy sucks if he is the attorney of one of the most idiotic morons in America. That is only success when U spend 24 a day everyday insulting people and being a keyboard tough guy on a sports blog. Like I said, go fetch me your big homies because U light work and I'm not a bully like they are.

I didn't vote for Trump, I voted for her, so fire away. Who he works for is a separate issue from the achievement of the individual starting where he did and getting to his place today. The only place you'll find me washed up is on a Caribbean beach. It's a lot like Lake Erie, just warmer, cleaner, saltier, bluer and with nice sand and palm trees.

For the record, I think Rumph is a straight shooter who, like Kool, will become a strong recruiter by putting guys in the league. Regardless of how he got them, he got Herbert and presumably, Silvera. Campbell would be a huge get. No Campbell would definitely be a glaring mark For the near future. Success for Rumph is success for us all so here's to wishing for the best for him and all of us.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Yeah he really has transformed his body since his official visit to Miami in January

Advertisement
Where did this " rumph sucks at recruiting" first materialize from? Just curious to know what guys he missed out on. Coaches recruit area's for the most part not their position, if you will so I was just curious to know what guys he missed out on.

Where did this " rumph sucks at recruiting" first materialize from? Just curious to know what guys he missed out on. Coaches recruit area's for the most part not their position, if you will so I was just curious to know what guys he missed out on.

It started when he was hired since he literally never coached college and rumors were while at AH, he was anti-Golden.
Then because after a month on the job we lost Tyler Byrd in the 2016 class....though he's g.ayer than Woopie.
Really, the big test whether he can recruit or not is Tyson Campbell. He gets him, and everyone should shut their mouth. He doesn't and you can maintain questioning his recruiting abilities.

Pretty sure it started with his inability to land anyone he coached at American Heritage. Everyone is aware of the practice of coaches recruiting areas. That doesn't apply when you hire a HS coach directly from a HS that is producing loads of P5 talent. When you hire that guy you expect results with guys he coached regardless of the area concept.

Not every one of our coaches is flawless. It's OK to discuss their shortcomings without making ridiculous excuses. We all want Rumph to get better and to succeed, but to attempt to excuse away the obvious recruiting failures makes guys look dopey and pathetic.

Now, one of his former players, who was set to spurn him and go to UF but for UF having no OL coach, says Rumph has to get better. And guys are still looking to make excuses.

Advertisement
Back