Q & A with Kai-Leon Herbert

You are acting as if he has already committed to another staff already though, chill out

You're like Oscar the Grouch except you live in a diarrhea-filled toilet instead of a garbage can. You lift the toilet lid and pop your diarrhea soaked head out to yell "chill out" and "foh bruh" and to create dumb straw man arguments that no one is making.

You love conflict and chaos and dragging people into your murky repugnant waters. Well, foh, bruh! You ain't dragging me in there. I clearly said that I expect Rumph to sign Campbell and that it should be a layup. I have no idea where you get "you are acting like he has already committed to another staff" from anything that I said.

From lsu 247 insider
8 hours ago Premium Post
WhoDatSaintsLSU said... (original post)
Do you think we hit the Heritage trifecta?

I used to think so, but maybe not so much anymore. I think Chatfield is someone who could wind up in the class, but if he doesn't, LSU isn't hurting on OLB's.
I think LSU gets Surtain. I have Campbell as a Miami lean at the moment, but anything can happen there.

The smoking gun. That settles it.

I really don't get why you don't think getting Campbell would be a big win for us. It's not like dude is ****ing Al Blades jr or some ****.

We expect Rumph to get AH kids....well, he did! He got Kai, and he got Nesta. It appears Kool doesn't want Chatfield. Surtain has always been a LSU lock. We'll see what happens with Schwartz. I don't think anyone really knows what the real plan is for the 4th WR or how much we want one at this point. and finally, We lead for Campbell, who is probably the top DB on many schools boards, including the defending national champions.

If we get Tyson Campbell that'll be a major recruiting victory, because he will be one of our top 3 commits. You can keep on calling Rumph his "father" all you want, but in reality he isn't his father. In reality, he has a mom and dad, and doesn't NEED to go wherever Rumph goes.

No offense but you kinda contradicted yourself in that post.

You said getting Campbell would be a major victory, but in your first paragraph said "don't know why you think getting Campbell would be a big win"

Advertisement
You're like Oscar the Grouch except you live in a diarrhea-filled toilet instead of a garbage can. You lift the toilet lid and pop your diarrhea soaked head out to yell "chill out" and "foh bruh" and to create dumb straw man arguments that no one is making.

You love conflict and chaos and dragging people into your murky repugnant waters. Well, foh, bruh! You ain't dragging me in there. I clearly said that I expect Rumph to sign Campbell and that it should be a layup. I have no idea where you get "you are acting like he has already committed to another staff" from anything that I said.

From lsu 247 insider
8 hours ago Premium Post

I used to think so, but maybe not so much anymore. I think Chatfield is someone who could wind up in the class, but if he doesn't, LSU isn't hurting on OLB's.
I think LSU gets Surtain. I have Campbell as a Miami lean at the moment, but anything can happen there.

I really don't get why you don't think getting Campbell would be a big win for us. It's not like dude is ****ing Al Blades jr or some ****.

We expect Rumph to get AH kids....well, he did! He got Kai, and he got Nesta. It appears Kool doesn't want Chatfield. Surtain has always been a LSU lock. We'll see what happens with Schwartz. I don't think anyone really knows what the real plan is for the 4th WR or how much we want one at this point. and finally, We lead for Campbell, who is probably the top DB on many schools boards, including the defending national champions.

If we get Tyson Campbell that'll be a major recruiting victory, because he will be one of our top 3 commits. You can keep on calling Rumph his "father" all you want, but in reality he isn't his father. In reality, he has a mom and dad, and doesn't NEED to go wherever Rumph goes.

You said getting Campbell would be a major victory, but in your first paragraph said "don't know why you think getting Campbell would be a big win"
I wasn't contradicting myself at all.
"I really don't get why you don't think getting Campbell would be a big win for us"
maybe I worded that confusingly. How about this:
I don't understand why Franchise thinks Getting Campbell wouldn't be a big win for us....because it would be...

From lsu 247 insider
8 hours ago Premium Post

I wasn't contradicting myself at all.
"I really don't get why you don't think getting Campbell would be a big win for us"
maybe I worded that confusingly. How about this:
I don't understand why Franchise thinks Getting Campbell wouldn't be a big win for us....because it would be...

Gotcha...yeah it was just the way I read it.

From lsu 247 insider
8 hours ago Premium Post

I really don't get why you don't think getting Campbell would be a big win for us. It's not like dude is ******* Al Blades jr or some ****.

You're extremely dense yet very combative. Bad combo.

Tyson Campbell should be a layup for Rumph just like Reese should be a layup for Dugans. What's so hard to get about that? Why are you dummies making this so dramatic?

Campbell's a great player and a great prospect and would be an incredible addition to our team. Now, try to use more than the .0000000001% of your brain that you currently use, and realize that Campbell being a great prospect that every UM fan would love to have doesn't mean that signing him should be considered some Herculean task.

Duke Johnson was a 5 star guy who everyone loved and wanted. He was a layup. Shannon didn't do an incredible job recruiting him because he was a layup.

Do you understand that sometimes signing a great prospect doesn't mean that a coach did something miraculous? Campbell should be a bunny for Rumph, and it's not just because he coached him at AH. Learn more about their relationship and how long Rumph coached him and how enamored Campbell is with Rumph. Campbell has family that loves UM, and he's a local guy. This kid is sitting there on a silver platter.

Reese and Dugans are actually related. Campbell and Rumph aren't, It's as simple as that.

The big problem is that you are saying this is a layup recruitment, which is obviously completely false. Al Blades is a layup recruitment. Tyson Campbells recruitment is nowhere near that easy. Can you at least admit that? Tyson Campbells recruitment isn't as easy as Popes...can you admit that? And landing Campbell compared to landing Blades, Pope, or Duke isn't more difficult because Rumph is coach, it's just more difficult because thats the way it is. Those other 3 are/were very clearly ALL Miami all along. And while Tyson Campbell and his family might really like/love Miami, He's clearly been heavily considering other teams - the others really weren't, regardless of the coach recruiting them.

Now, I do expect Rumph to land Campbell, and haven't been saying its a herculean task. But to sit here and act like it's just easy and imply that Rumph is a ****** recruiter if he doesn't get him is just stupid imo. According to you Rumph is a terrible recruiter if he doesn't get Campbell, and still a terrible recruiter if he does because this recruitment is such a layup it shouldn't even be a positive for him.

From lsu 247 insider
8 hours ago Premium Post

Tyson Campbell should be a layup for Rumph just like Reese should be a layup for Dugans. What's so hard to get about that? Why are you dummies making this so dramatic?

Campbell's a great player and a great prospect and would be an incredible addition to our team. Now, try to use more than the .0000000001% of your brain that you currently use, and realize that Campbell being a great prospect that every UM fan would love to have doesn't mean that signing him should be considered some Herculean task.

Duke Johnson was a 5 star guy who everyone loved and wanted. He was a layup. Shannon didn't do an incredible job recruiting him because he was a layup.

Do you understand that sometimes signing a great prospect doesn't mean that a coach did something miraculous? Campbell should be a bunny for Rumph, and it's not just because he coached him at AH. Learn more about their relationship and how long Rumph coached him and how enamored Campbell is with Rumph. Campbell has family that loves UM, and he's a local guy. This kid is sitting there on a silver platter.

Reese and Dugans are actually related. Campbell and Rumph aren't, It's as simple as that.

The big problem is that you are saying this is a layup recruitment, which is obviously completely false. Al Blades is a layup recruitment. Tyson Campbells recruitment is nowhere near that easy. Can you at least admit that? Tyson Campbells recruitment isn't as easy as Popes...can you admit that? And landing Campbell compared to landing Blades, Pope, or Duke isn't more difficult because Rumph is coach, it's just more difficult because thats the way it is. Those other 3 are/were very clearly ALL Miami all along. And while Tyson Campbell and his family might really like/love Miami, He's clearly been heavily considering other teams - the others really weren't, regardless of the coach recruiting them.

Now, I do expect Rumph to land Campbell, and haven't been saying its a herculean task. But to sit here and act like it's just easy and imply that Rumph is a ****ty recruiter if he doesn't get him is just stupid imo. According to you Rumph is a terrible recruiter if he doesn't get Campbell, and still a terrible recruiter if he does because this recruitment is such a layup it shouldn't even be a positive for him.

That's the ultimate setup franchise is trying to construct.
Damned if you do and damned if you don't...

Advertisement

Now, I do expect Rumph to land Campbell, and haven't been saying its a herculean task. But to sit here and act like it's just easy and imply that Rumph is a ****ty recruiter if he doesn't get him is just stupid imo. According to you Rumph is a terrible recruiter if he doesn't get Campbell, and still a terrible recruiter if he does because this recruitment is such a layup it shouldn't even be a positive for him.

I believe [MENTION=1279]gogeta4[/MENTION] probably knows the situation on the ground and he says any way you slice it, if Rumph doesn't get Campbell, it's a fail. That's all I'm saying. If he gets him he should get credit too but he should have that expectation placed on him.

Last edited:

I believe [MENTION=1279]gogeta4[/MENTION] probably knows the situation on the ground and he says any way you slice it, if Rumph doesn't get Campbell, it's a fail. That's all I'm saying. If he gets him he should get credit too but he should have that expectation placed on him.

Thats the thing. Yes I expect Rumph to be able to bring him in. But I'm not going to sit here and act like he has an incredibly easy task or set him up so that if he does pull Tyson Campbell it wouldn't be a big win and if he doesn't get him it would be a catastrophic fail, that's just BS to me.
Also, real question here, who is gogeta4 and does he know campbell or something? Because I know Rattler is like his cousin but Idk who this other dude is.

Thats the thing. Yes I expect Rumph to be able to bring him in. But I'm not going to sit here and act like he has an incredibly easy task or set him up so that if he does pull Tyson Campbell it wouldn't be a big win and if he doesn't get him it would be a catastrophic fail, that's just BS to me.
Also, real question here, who is gogeta4 and does he know campbell or something? Because I know Rattler is like his cousin but Idk who this other dude is.
[MENTION=1279]gogeta4[/MENTION] knows the high school scene and players/coaches down there very well.

If Rumph got that stud cornerback from Texas that [MENTION=14457]Liberty City El[/MENTION] has told us about then it would be a big win. If he fails to get him, it's a much lesser fail. On the flip side, if Rumph doesn't get Campbell then it's a big fail. If he does get him, it's a win but it's not the winning equivalent of the fail in magnitude based on the history and expectations.

Last edited:

[MENTION=1279]gogeta4[/MENTION] knows the high school scene and players/coaches down there very well.

If Rumph got that stud cornerback from Texas that [MENTION=14457]Liberty City El[/MENTION] has told us about then it would be a big win. If he fails to get him, it's a much lesser fail. On the flip side, if Rumph doesn't get Campbell then it's a big fail. If he does get him, it's a win but it's not the winning equivalent of the fail in magnitude based on the history and expectations.

recruiting is all about building relationships and comfortability. If you have a problem getting someone to commit that you have a 5-10 year previous relationship...that another person who recruited for 6months to 1 year was able to get...then its a fail in my opinion. Its a fail in that particular situation depends on your fall back options..in this particular class though the DB class in s.fla alone is LOADED. Campbell is numero uno

Advertisement

bruh this was hella confusing to read.
If Rumph doesn't get Campbell, obviously its a fail. But once again, that doesn't mean its easy. But If/When Rumph gets Campbell will he get any credit for getting top Heritage kids and for us have a DB class with 7 studs this year? I doubt he will, which is BS.

I just don't like that people act like Rumph is terrible at recruiting and that getting a top 50 player is just super easy. Thats pretty much all I'm saying. Obviously we should hold our coaches to high standards, and they should be criticized for failures. But sometimes it gets to the point where it seems like people on this board want us to fail and ****.

recruiting is all about building relationships and comfortability. If you have a problem getting someone to commit that you have a 5-10 year previous relationship...that another person who recruited for 6months to 1 year was able to get...then its a fail in my opinion. Its a fail in that particular situation depends on your fall back options..in this particular class though the DB class in s.fla alone is LOADED. Campbell is numero uno

Though it is tough to admit, I have to agree with the way you expressed the issue here at the end. I would point out, these kids can be very impressionable sometimes, you can sometimes find a kid who ignores lifelong relationships with family to chase after a girlfriend who has only been a part of his life for a short time, so in that same spirit, I think some recruits might get dazzled by a fast-talking, big-promising recruiter from time to time.

But I still agree. It sucks that if a person with a longstanding relationship can't pull a kid, and you start to question why. Maybe the kid wants to "make the decision on his own", and so resists (or even ignores) the strong feelings he has with the longstanding relationship, in order to "look around".

I don't know. A lot of this is psychological and beyond my limited understanding of such matters. But it will still suck if Campbell chooses to go with a newer recruiter and a sales pitch that probably simply pushed all the right buttons in the kid's psyche.

If Rumph doesn't get Campbell, obviously its a fail. But once again, that doesn't mean its easy. But If/When Rumph gets Campbell will he get any credit for getting top Heritage kids and for us have a DB class with 7 studs this year? I doubt he will, which is BS.

I just don't like that people act like Rumph is terrible at recruiting and that getting a top 50 player is just super easy. Thats pretty much all I'm saying. Obviously we should hold our coaches to high standards, and they should be criticized for failures. But sometimes it gets to the point where it seems like people on this board want us to fail and ****.
Lol...yeah... Sorry. He should get credit if we land him. All I'm saying is that the expectation, based on the long-standing relationship between Rumph and Campbell, would magnify the failure to land Campbell on one side of the spectrum far more than the success of landing him on the other side of the same spectrum.

You don't see the same angst about Surtain. Even though he coached him, the dynamics are different, though you wonder why Rumph has no chance with Surtain??? High school coaches get hired with the thought that they can at least pull their own kids. The saving grace for Rumph is that he's done such a good job coaching that eventually this will be the draw to him, much like Kool.

Lol...yeah... Sorry. He should get credit if we land him. All I'm saying is that the expectation, based on the long-standing relationship between Rumph and Campbell, would magnify the failure to land Campbell on one side of the spectrum far more than the success of landing him on the other side of the same spectrum.

You don't see the same angst about Surtain. Even though he coached him, the dynamics are different, though you wonder why Rumph has no chance with Surtain??? High school coaches get hired with the thought that they can at least pull their own kids. The saving grace for Rumph is that he's done such a good job coaching that eventually this will be the draw to him, much like Kool.

First, I don't think that Rumph has "no chance" with Surtain.

Second, we have to admit that Surtain, and other kids like him (such as the Bosas) are not the "traditional" SoFla kids. Surtain lives in SoFla because his dad played for the Dolphins, and as such, he may have family or university preferences that are not just limited to SoFla. Plus, the family has a few dollars, so they might not find it such a struggle to travel to an out-of-state school to see the kid play.

I'd love to get Surtain, but I won't waste a minute worrying about "why" we didn't get him. Other SoFla kids, maybe.

Advertisement

Second, we have to admit that Surtain, and other kids like him (such as the Bosas) are not the "traditional" SoFla kids. Surtain lives in SoFla because his dad played for the Dolphins, and as such, he may have family or university preferences that are not just limited to SoFla. Plus, the family has a few dollars, so they might not find it such a struggle to travel to an out-of-state school to see the kid play.

I'd love to get Surtain, but I won't waste a minute worrying about "why" we didn't get him. Other SoFla kids, maybe.

I agree about Surtain for the most part. Your reasons are good ones, IMO, and not so different from my thoughts on Surtain. As I said, the circumstances are different when comparing Campbell to Surtain.

I think there's no real chance with Surtain because he's focused on other places like L$U, O$U and maybe even F$U. There's no buzz about us with him and there never really has been.

Last edited:

I agree about Surtain for the most part. Your reasons are good ones, IMO, and not so different from my thoughts on Surtain. As I said, the circumstances are different when comparing Campbell to Surtain.

I think there's no real chance with Surtain because he's focused on other places like L$U, O$U and maybe even F$U. There's no buzz about us with him and there never really has been.

Except the fact that the only places he's visited this offseason so far is lsu, Ohio state, Miami and uf. Also vistied 3-4 Miami games at sun life last year too. Hasn't been to fsu in a while. If anything we have a small chance with him because his relationship with rumph but this kid has always had his eyes set on lsu. It is what it is. Not losing no sleep over especially since we are in a Very good spot or land campbell who will be just as good if not better than surtain

Advertisement
Back