Q & A with Kai-Leon Herbert

Where did this " rumph sucks at recruiting" first materialize from? Just curious to know what guys he missed out on. Coaches recruit area's for the most part not their position, if you will so I was just curious to know what guys he missed out on.

It started when he was hired since he literally never coached college and rumors were while at AH, he was anti-Golden.
Then because after a month on the job we lost Tyler Byrd in the 2016 class....though he's g.ayer than Woopie.
Really, the big test whether he can recruit or not is Tyson Campbell. He gets him, and everyone should shut their mouth. He doesn't and you can maintain questioning his recruiting abilities.

Why is it a "big test" to get Campbell, who he coached since Optimist football and who called Rumph his "second father figure"? That should be the ultimate layup. You guys are making it seem like some incredible task because Campbell is such a great prospect. Just because Campbell is a great prospect doesn't mean that his second dad getting him to come here is a great piece of recruiting.

Same with Reese and Dugans. Dugans signing his nephew should be a layup.

Advertisement
Yeah riiiiight, but when your blog wife asked for pics of U in your speedo on these Caribbean beaches U didn't oblige. Stop it 5

I wouldn't punish anyone with pics of me in a Speedo, dude, nor would I wear one of those bikini things. In july, I'll be hitting the Caribbean for the 4th time in 12 months. It'll be a 2 week trip. That's more than I ordinarily travel in a year. I am not rich but I do ok and try to do the best I can for my kids. Like me, I'm sure you try to do what you can for your family too and that's all anyone can ask of themselves.

Travel has become a way for me to escape and live and see that there's more to life than the day to day we find ourselves in, whether we live in Richmond, Cleveland or wherever. I've been to a decent number of places and I am better for it. If you have seen different places then you get it. If you havent, you should try to when you can. It puts a lot in perspective, especially in countries where they are less fortunate than us. One day I hope to be overseas permanently. Until then, I'm working towards the dream.

Last edited:
Where did this " rumph sucks at recruiting" first materialize from? Just curious to know what guys he missed out on. Coaches recruit area's for the most part not their position, if you will so I was just curious to know what guys he missed out on.

Pretty sure it started with his inability to land anyone he coached at American Heritage. Everyone is aware of the practice of coaches recruiting areas. That doesn't apply when you hire a HS coach directly from a HS that is producing loads of P5 talent. When you hire that guy you expect results with guys he coached regardless of the area concept.

Not every one of our coaches is flawless. It's OK to discuss their shortcomings without making ridiculous excuses. We all want Rumph to get better and to succeed, but to attempt to excuse away the obvious recruiting failures makes guys look dopey and pathetic.

Now, one of his former players, who was set to spurn him and go to UF but for UF having no OL coach, says Rumph has to get better. And guys are still looking to make excuses.

Bruh the full Q and A is:

A lot of Miami fans question Coach Rumph's ability to recruit. You have seen him as a high school coach and as a college coach sitting in your living room. What do you think of him?

"Coach Rumph is more of a hands on guy. Definitely hands on. When he talks to you, you're going to listen and you're going to get the information from him because it's the best. Recruiting-wise, like I said, he's more hands on, so when he talks to you it's different it's different than how he coaches you. I guess that might be something that he has to work on, but I mean he got me. He got [2018 defensive tackle Nesta Silvera] and he's probably going to get some other guys."

Think you're making a bigger deal than it is Chise...especially when you show the complete sentence he said, and the next sentence.

It started when he was hired since he literally never coached college and rumors were while at AH, he was anti-Golden.
Then because after a month on the job we lost Tyler Byrd in the 2016 class....though he's g.ayer than Woopie.
Really, the big test whether he can recruit or not is Tyson Campbell. He gets him, and everyone should shut their mouth. He doesn't and you can maintain questioning his recruiting abilities.

Why is it a "big test" to get Campbell, who he coached since Optimist football and who called Rumph his "second father figure"? That should be the ultimate layup. You guys are making it seem like some incredible task because Campbell is such a great prospect. Just because Campbell is a great prospect doesn't mean that his second dad getting him to come here is a great piece of recruiting.

You're acting like Rumph was literally providing for him like he was his actual father or some ****. If you asked every HS football player in the country who their "second father figure" is, a supermajority of them would respond their Coach.

Most people view their best friend as their brother, yet you would **** all over recruits for choosing to go to a school just because their friend is going there.

The fact is Campbell is one of the top DB's in the Country. Our biggest competitor is probably Clemson who just won a National Title. But you think because a guy that was his coach as a frosh and sophomore is here it should be automatic? Maybe if Rumph was his coach all 4 yrs, you'd have a point. But he wasn't. And I bet you Campbell also views the current AH coach as a father figure. If you're a good HS coach, thats just what happens when you spend 20+ hours a week with the player.

You're acting like Rumph was literally providing for him like he was his actual father or some ****. If you asked every HS football player in the country who their "second father figure" is, a supermajority of them would respond their Coach.

Most people view their best friend as their brother, yet you would **** all over recruits for choosing to go to a school just because their friend is going there.

The fact is Campbell is one of the top DB's in the Country. Our biggest competitor is probably Clemson who just won a National Title. But you think because a guy that was his coach as a frosh and sophomore is here it should be automatic? Maybe if Rumph was his coach all 4 yrs, you'd have a point. But he wasn't. And I bet you Campbell also views the current AH coach as a father figure. If you're a good HS coach, thats just what happens when you spend 20+ hours a week with the player.
Rumph coached Campbell in an optimist league before American heritage too. They are very close

Advertisement
lol so it started with people believing rumph was anti golden. Sounds about right.

I think so. He took a lot of heat on here for steering kids away from his alma mater. On the flipside, he would be sending his kids to Golden, Dno and Paul Williams. There are split feelings on here about it.

lol so it started with people believing rumph was anti golden. Sounds about right.

No.

The doubts cropped up about his recruiting ability when he couldn't land kids from his own school.

The latest comments from Herbert are difficult to interpret, so personally I'm not worrying about them since I'm not quite sure what they mean specifically. My only concern is what happens on the signing days in December and February. He has to come through this cycle. That's his final exam in recruiting for the last 2 yeoars. End of story.

Pretty sure it started with his inability to land anyone he coached at American Heritage. Everyone is aware of the practice of coaches recruiting areas. That doesn't apply when you hire a HS coach directly from a HS that is producing loads of P5 talent. When you hire that guy you expect results with guys he coached regardless of the area concept.

Not every one of our coaches is flawless. It's OK to discuss their shortcomings without making ridiculous excuses. We all want Rumph to get better and to succeed, but to attempt to excuse away the obvious recruiting failures makes guys look dopey and pathetic.

Now, one of his former players, who was set to spurn him and go to UF but for UF having no OL coach, says Rumph has to get better. And guys are still looking to make excuses.

Bruh the full Q and A is:

A lot of Miami fans question Coach Rumph's ability to recruit. You have seen him as a high school coach and as a college coach sitting in your living room. What do you think of him?

"Coach Rumph is more of a hands on guy. Definitely hands on. When he talks to you, you're going to listen and you're going to get the information from him because it's the best. Recruiting-wise, like I said, he's more hands on, so when he talks to you it's different it's different than how he coaches you. I guess that might be something that he has to work on, but I mean he got me. He got [2018 defensive tackle Nesta Silvera] and he's probably going to get some other guys."

Think you're making a bigger deal than it is Chise...especially when you show the complete sentence he said, and the next sentence.

Nah. I'm good with my interpretation of the whole situation.

Advertisement

Most HS coaches who get hired by colleges bring the kids they coached in HS. When you've coached a kid since he was 10 and he calls you his second father figure then it should be a layup. It has nothing to do with how good Campbell is and everything to do with the relationship they have.

If you can't sign your "son" then you should give up recruiting and go coach in the NFL.

The guys who make excuses for Rumph's failures in recruiting like to point to Campbell as some monumental recruiting job because they think we are going to sign him. Then they can start with the whole "where are Rumph's critics now?" line of diarrhea burping.

Most HS coaches who get hired by colleges bring the kids they coached in HS. When you've coached a kid since he was 10 and he calls you his second father figure then it should be a layup. It has nothing to do with how good Campbell is and everything to do with the relationship they have.

If you can't sign your "son" then you should give up recruiting and go coach in the NFL.

The guys who make excuses for Rumph's failures in recruiting like to point to Campbell as some monumental recruiting job because they think we are going to sign him. Then they can start with the whole "where are Rumph's critics now?" line of diarrhea burping.

Lsu just sent 2 dbs in the first round
Osu just sent 3 dbs in the first round
Clemson coming off of a national championship
Miami, ohio state and clemson have all told Campbell that he is their #1 cb on he board
What more do you ******* want? We are sitting in a really good spot with Campbell, you acting like we are outside his top 3 or something. It's 2017 ain't no such thing as a layup in recruiting especially when you are talking about a kid who has a chance of ending up as the #1 cb in the country... this would be a valid concern if we weren't considered a top school in his recruitment, that's DEFINTIELY not the case here though so fvck your agenda tbh... Are you mad because he hasn't committed early enough for YOU? Give me a ******* break, when he's ready he will do it obviously

Last edited:

Miami, ohio state and clemson have all told Campbell that he is their #1 cb on he board
What more do you ******* want? We are sitting in a really good spot with Campbell, you acting like we are outside his top 3 or something. It's 2017 ain't no such thing as a layup in recruiting especially when you are talking about a kid who has a chance of ending up as the #1 cb in the country... this would be a valid concern if weren't considered a top school in his recruitment, that's DEFINTIELY not the case here though so fvck your agenda tbh... Are you mad because he hasn't committed early enough for YOU? Give me a ******* break, when he's ready he will do it obviously
What more do I expect? I expect his second dad to sign him. I don't care about top 3 or DBs that went to the NFL from other teams. Campbell's second dad went to the NFL in the 1st round from UM.

You're good with losing and with consolation prizes. I'm not.

What more do you ******* want? We are sitting in a really good spot with Campbell, you acting like we are outside his top 3 or something. It's 2017 ain't no such thing as a layup in recruiting especially when you are talking about a kid who has a chance of ending up as the #1 cb in the country... this would be a valid concern if weren't considered a top school in his recruitment, that's DEFINTIELY not the case here though so fvck your agenda tbh... Are you mad because he hasn't committed early enough for YOU? Give me a ******* break, when he's ready he will do it obviously
What more do I expect? I expect his second dad to sign him. I don't care about top 3 or DBs that went to the NFL from other teams. Campbell's second dad went to the NFL in the 1st round from UM.

You are acting as if he has already committed to another staff already though, chill out

Advertisement

You are acting as if he has already committed to another staff already though, chill out

You're like Oscar the Grouch except you live in a diarrhea-filled toilet instead of a garbage can. You lift the toilet lid and pop your diarrhea soaked head out to yell "chill out" and "foh bruh" and to create dumb straw man arguments that no one is making.

You love conflict and chaos and dragging people into your murky repugnant waters. Well, foh, bruh! You ain't dragging me in there. I clearly said that I expect Rumph to sign Campbell and that it should be a layup. I have no idea where you get "you are acting like he has already committed to another staff" from anything that I said.

Kai is our next left tackle of the future. Our oline is gonna b nasty soon!!!!

hes gonna need a lot of work to be on that left side..he can get there though. This is why I wasn't high on him during recruiting..HIS FEET...he doesn't have great feet. Big Donaldson has better feet than him.

Oh ya ..if Rumph doesn't land Campbell that's a FAIL...yall could spin it however you want....imma be on this board going in...so come one come all with your excuses.

Advertisement

You're like Oscar the Grouch except you live in a diarrhea-filled toilet instead of a garbage can. You lift the toilet lid and pop your diarrhea soaked head out to yell "chill out" and "foh bruh" and to create dumb straw man arguments that no one is making.

You love conflict and chaos and dragging people into your murky repugnant waters. Well, foh, bruh! You ain't dragging me in there. I clearly said that I expect Rumph to sign Campbell and that it should be a layup. I have no idea where you get "you are acting like he has already committed to another staff" from anything that I said.

From lsu 247 insider
8 hours ago Premium Post
WhoDatSaintsLSU said... (original post)
Do you think we hit the Heritage trifecta?

I used to think so, but maybe not so much anymore. I think Chatfield is someone who could wind up in the class, but if he doesn't, LSU isn't hurting on OLB's.
I think LSU gets Surtain. I have Campbell as a Miami lean at the moment, but anything can happen there.

From lsu 247 insider
8 hours ago Premium Post

I used to think so, but maybe not so much anymore. I think Chatfield is someone who could wind up in the class, but if he doesn't, LSU isn't hurting on OLB's.
I think LSU gets Surtain. I have Campbell as a Miami lean at the moment, but anything can happen there.

The smoking gun. That settles it.

From lsu 247 insider
8 hours ago Premium Post

I really don't get why you don't think getting Campbell would be a big win for us. It's not like dude is ******* Al Blades jr or some ****.

We expect Rumph to get AH kids....well, he did! He got Kai, and he got Nesta. It appears Kool doesn't want Chatfield. Surtain has always been a LSU lock. We'll see what happens with Schwartz. I don't think anyone really knows what the real plan is for the 4th WR or how much we want one at this point. and finally, We lead for Campbell, who is probably the top DB on many schools boards, including the defending national champions.

If we get Tyson Campbell that'll be a major recruiting victory, because he will be one of our top 3 commits. You can keep on calling Rumph his "father" all you want, but in reality he isn't his father. In reality, he has a mom and dad, and doesn't NEED to go wherever Rumph goes.

From lsu 247 insider
8 hours ago Premium Post

I really don't get why you don't think getting Campbell would be a big win for us. It's not like dude is ******* Al Blades jr or some ****.

We expect Rumph to get AH kids....well, he did! He got Kai, and he got Nesta. It appears Kool doesn't want Chatfield. Surtain has always been a LSU lock. We'll see what happens with Schwartz. I don't think anyone really knows what the real plan is for the 4th WR or how much we want one at this point. and finally, We lead for Campbell, who is probably the top DB on many schools boards, including the defending national champions.

If we get Tyson Campbell that'll be a major recruiting victory, because he will be one of our top 3 commits. You can keep on calling Rumph his "father" all you want, but in reality he isn't his father. In reality, he has a mom and dad, and doesn't NEED to go wherever Rumph goes.

You're extremely dense yet very combative. Bad combo.

Tyson Campbell should be a layup for Rumph just like Reese should be a layup for Dugans. What's so hard to get about that? Why are you dummies making this so dramatic?

Campbell's a great player and a great prospect and would be an incredible addition to our team. Now, try to use more than the .0000000001% of your brain that you currently use, and realize that Campbell being a great prospect that every UM fan would love to have doesn't mean that signing him should be considered some Herculean task.

Duke Johnson was a 5 star guy who everyone loved and wanted. He was a layup. Shannon didn't do an incredible job recruiting him because he was a layup.

Do you understand that sometimes signing a great prospect doesn't mean that a coach did something miraculous? Campbell should be a bunny for Rumph, and it's not just because he coached him at AH. Learn more about their relationship and how long Rumph coached him and how enamored Campbell is with Rumph. Campbell has family that loves UM, and he's a local guy. This kid is sitting there on a silver platter.

Advertisement
Back