Proof and specifics of our improvement

Advertisement
And on a positional level how things stand from last yr to this yr. And then going forward where the position stands.

QB - worse performance than last year solely due to turnovers. Next season will almost certainly see an improvement in QB play - and that's without knowing which portal QB we get. This could be a decent improvement just by turning the ball over, or it could end up being a gigantic improvement if we actually get a top portal guy.

RB - improved over last year. And likely to improve again next year. Still not exactly a special unit yet, but id say above average this year and next yr will be firmly in the good range.

Wr - massive improvement over last season. And I think next year that will only improve. We have gotten good production out of our WRs. And we have a good/great WR class coming in. And between last class and this class we will have more speed/explosiveness.

TE - worse than last year. Our TE performance has been good awful this year. Basically impossible for our TE play to be worse next year. Only way is if Cam McCormock somehow gets a 20th yr of eligibility.

OT - improved over last year. Mauigoa has struggled a bit as a true frosh. I expect him to massively improve for next season. I'd expect Rivers to leave, but we have a lot of talent at OT for next season, one of them just needs to step up. So maybe this will be a wash, but could be better too.

IOL - big improvement over last season. Matt Lee and Cohen have been great.. likely to not be as good here next yr unless someone steps up at center or Lee returned which seems unlikely. Guard I'm not really worried about.

EDGE - kinda the same as last year - nothing much special - mostly due to injuries though. Next yr edge will likely be the most improved position on Defense save for maybe LB.

DT - same or slightly worse than last year. Our DT play has been solid. Taylor has been very up and down as well as just not playing as much as you wish he would. At this point I don't think he's secured as a 1st round pick, so he could return, but that's doubtful. Next yr I think unless we get another portal addition besides Burroughs we will be slightly worse.

LB - somehow we took a massive leap forward over last season and still kinda suck besides Mauigoa. I think this unit will be better next year too. We have a lot of talented athletic young LBs that need to ******* improve and see the field.

CB - been mostly average at CB this year, which is worse than last year. Next yr I think we will be improved with Porter returning and the Young's guys finally beginning to step up and get PT they should have gotten earlier.

S - kinda the same overall play as last year. Lots of big plays positive and negative. James Williams has been undeniably better than last year while kam has been worse. Next yr This really depends what those 2 do. I could see them returning and us improving. I can see them leaving and still improving in the sense that we dont end up letting up 10 big play TDs just on them ******* up... Or I can see them leaving and being screwed at Safety...
QB well have to see. Tyler has amazing highs, & equally as amazing lows. If we simply get more consistency we'll be far better off at QB. Because as we've always shown when we have athletes we just need to get the ball in their hands. One thing I'd definitely disagree about (and it's the only thing)is Dt. I think people view this position pretty narrowly. We made HUGE strides at the position this season. A dt job first and foremost is to take on blockers and shed to help against the run. Maybe I'm not thinking clearly here but from what I remember WE SHUT DOWN THE RUN this season. Where previously our run game defense relied on safety play **** near more than any other position. This season the front 7 locked that **** down. That's almost entirely on the tackle play and lb play.(which u already established was a huge upgrade)

Make it a 22... A 25... & A 32... #justsayin
giphy-18.gif

I don’t think this is off much except at QB where I’m not certain we’ll see massive improvement next year. I don’t have a lot of confidence that we’ll get a difference maker or that he’ll be coached well. I don’t know that Michael Pratt is a difference maker, btw, but I suppose he’s better than what we’ve had this year. I also think the TE room was improved on paper but misused. That’s coaching, who we it was. Back to QB, I guess we’ll see next year.
Pratt isn't the guy id target in the portal. Pratt would likely be a high floor guy that is more of a fall back option imo. I think it should be clear that the interceptions are what have actually derailed our W/L. Even as a freshman with Pratts highest Int rate in his career of 3.04%, that is still way less than TVD this year. TVD has an INT rate of 4% over the season - just unacceptable. Over the 4 game GTech, UVA, UNC, NCSt stretch which we had 3 losses his INT rate was 6.6%. you can't win like that. The highest you want your starting QBs INT rate to be is like 2.5%

Those are 3 loses where JUST a high floor guy, that has only 1.6%Int rate the last 2 seasons like Pratt does, is the difference in Winning MINIMUM 2 more games. You change 2 of those games to wins we have 8 wins (and likely #9 against BC), and 2 close losses to top 10 teams in FSU and Louisville. That would be entirely different view on how this season went. But TVDs interceptions killed us.

Advertisement
I don't care if the self-loathing Miami haters want to complain about only six wins this year, against five wins last year.

I collated all our 2022 and 2023 games from largest victory to worst defeat, and I put them side-by-side.

Here it is.

1. More wins
2. More wins at home
3. No blowouts by more than 2 TDs in 2023 (like, NONE)
4. More competitive games against ranked teams
5. 11 point swing in average margin across all games

View attachment 267164Boring!

Pratt isn't the guy id target in the portal. Pratt would likely be a high floor guy that is more of a fall back option imo. I think it should be clear that the interceptions are what have actually derailed our W/L. Even as a freshman with Pratts highest Int rate in his career of 3.04%, that is still way less than TVD this year. TVD has an INT rate of 4% over the season - just unacceptable. Over the 4 game GTech, UVA, UNC, NCSt stretch which we had 3 losses his INT rate was 6.6%. you can't win like that. The highest you want your starting QBs INT rate to be is like 2.5%

Those are 3 loses where JUST a high floor guy, that has only 1.6%Int rate the last 2 seasons like Pratt does, is the difference in Winning MINIMUM 2 more games. You change 2 of those games to wins we have 8 wins (and likely #9 against BC), and 2 close losses to top 10 teams in FSU and Louisville. That would be entirely different view on how this season went. But TVDs interceptions killed us.
I like Cam Ward, not that he’s an option.

Advertisement
QB well have to see. Tyler has amazing highs, & equally as amazing lows. If we simply get more consistency we'll be far better off at QB. Because as we've always shown when we have athletes we just need to get the ball in their hands. One thing I'd definitely disagree about (and it's the only thing)is Dt. I think people view this position pretty narrowly. We made HUGE strides at the position this season. A dt job first and foremost is to take on blockers and shed to help against the run. Maybe I'm not thinking clearly here but from what I remember WE SHUT DOWN THE RUN this season. Where previously our run game defense relied on safety play **** near more than any other position. This season the front 7 locked that **** down. That's almost entirely on the tackle play and lb play.(which u already established was a huge upgrade)
I agree. TVD has had high highs. But the lows were so low they killed us to the point a guy just with an EVEN TD:Int ratio may have been the difference between 2-3 more wins. Maybe you could say it would have shifted A&M to a loss cause TVD played great that game. But like net we are still talking +2 wins... Like if we just had a guy with 1:1 TD:int ratio we win 2 more games, that's crazy. Especially when I think there will be plenty of QBs that COULD give us at least 2.5:1 and be a mobile threat. I posted the stats of like 8 QBs that could be portal targets from non p5 schools in the portal QB thread... Any one of them probably has us with 2 more wins.

DT, maybe it's more a function of the edge play for me. Cause we are getting almost nothing out of the dts in the pas rush aside from Taylor and he has been sporadic and barely played some games. I absolutely agree their run D out of our dta has improved. JHH has turned in on the last few games too, but for all but like 3 games the only guy at DT doing more than just being solid against the run was Taylor... I think I'm just disappointed in the season Taylor has had the last half of this season. I think he has probably played himself out of the 1st round.

I like Cam Ward, not that he’s an option.
@Brooklyndee

Based on this yrs stats, Kadion Slater is the topp portal guy. After him would be Chandler Rogers and Seth Hanigan out of North Texas and Memphis respectively. Jaylen Raynor too... Cam ward probably below all them statistically... But maybe in run game he over takes them. He has 8 rushing tds

Last edited:
Football is never serious enough to make a spreadsheet for. I’ve seen improvement for sure but the reality is being 6-5 is a failure even if we beat BC. Recruiting is not as good this season and we’ll need to rely on the portal. Mario’s here for awhile so ultimately we’ll see what happens but some of the Capt Save-A-Hoe’ing going on for Mario is disgusting.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't care if the self-loathing Miami haters want to complain about only six wins this year, against five wins last year.

I collated all our 2022 and 2023 games from largest victory to worst defeat, and I put them side-by-side.

Here it is.

1. More wins
2. More wins at home
3. No blowouts by more than 2 TDs in 2023 (like, NONE)
4. More competitive games against ranked teams
5. 11 point swing in average margin across all games

View attachment 267164
Wow, this post sure has elicited quite the comments from Team Mope.

Advertisement
Back