Practise #7 *Aug 14th*

Please show me some examples of Gil and Bob Knowles "holding up" in nickel situations. If they didn't get torched it was only because the QB didn't see their guy uncovered.
No, doesn't have the lateral footwork or eye discipline to play Nickel.

People think just because he runs a 4.52 that he can play Nickel, but in HS he didn't play any Corner, he was Safety, RB & KR. He's a raw athlete with good physical traits but he doesn't have the footwork necessary to play anyone in one on one coverage, he's a Zone defender.

He's at his best off ball reading the whole field, not locked in man coverage having to read the man in front of him.

But don't take my word for it, here's what Ed Reed said about him after coaching him at the UA All-American game:

I agree..he’s not a nickel corner. But the way we use our safeties he will be asked to cover the slot from time to time. Do I think he can handle that at this level, absolutely. Playing safety in today cfb ask u to be able to do that in certain situations. Do u know how many times I see Gil, Finley and even rob lineup in that spot and just crossed my fingers hoping the offense didn’t catch us in man or a blitz with no help 🤣..too many times. If u play safety in Cfb today u better be able to hold your own in nickel

Advertisement
I agree..he’s not a nickel corner. But the way we use our safeties he will be asked to cover the slot from time to time. Do I think he can handle that at this level, absolutely. Playing safety in today cfb ask u to be able to do that in certain situations. Do u know how many times I see Gil, Finley and even rob lineup in that spot and just crossed my fingers hoping the offense didn’t catch us in man or a blitz with no help 🤣..too many times. If u play safety in Cfb today u better be able to hold your own in nickel
I played CB in HS & College, I'm aware of how Safeties are used in Nickel coverage, especially in Diaz's scheme.

I'm just saying a lot of people see Tae's raw athletic ability & assume he'll be a Dynamo covering WR's/TE's when that's not his strong suit, he doesn't have active hands & he needs a lot of coaching up before he can go out there & asked to cover in Man in open space.

He's at his best when his assignments are clearly defined for him, I don't expect him to be on the field much but in the instances when he is, rotate Hall down to Nickel & let Tae play Deep centerfield in Single High & give him a designated Zone to cover. Basically just tell him don't bite on any underneath routes & roll to any side where the Post route is coming from lol. Safeties in our system have so much responsibility on the backend both vs the run & the pass I just think he's too green to have too much on his shoulders this early in his career.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like something Manny/Banda has prioritized and I'm not sure why. A versatile S that can drop into that nickel CB spot would help the defense a ton. Instead, we use a less athletic striker to serve as the nickel.
A striker IS a versatile safety lol.

Finley and Frierson were both a safeties or CB before switching to striker. So was Keontra Smith.

A striker IS a versatile safety lol.

Finley and Frierson were both a safeties or CB before switching to striker. So was Keontra Smith.
I did say a versatile S that can drop into the nickel CB spot. I know what a striker is hence me saying we use a less athletic version of it as a LB/S, which I noted prior that Manny/Banda doesn't seem to prioritize a S that can cover. So you're essentially left with a bigger S with range but little coverage ability; see Frierson.

Advertisement
I know everyone gets hung up on coverage, and rightfully so, but when you are evaluating a DB (especially a safety) for Manny’s defense, the first evaluation should he be they tackle and get people to the ground. Defensive back tackling is crucial for this system because our front 7 is so aggressive (sometimes out of control/position, but I digress) that our DBs have to tackle. If Tae wants to play, he needs to be able to line people up and tackle

Last edited:
I think the problem here is that a lot of y’all don’t know the responsibilities of these positions which is why y’all keep throwing miscellaneous players out there to do things they’re horrible at because you think being closer to the line of scrimmage somehow makes the game easier for them

I think the problem here is that a lot of y’all don’t know the responsibilities of these positions which is why y’all keep throwing miscellaneous players out there to do things they’re horrible at because you think being closer to the line of scrimmage somehow makes the game easier for them
So are we saying free safety is not a coverage safety? Tae was the number 1 FS in America now we're saying he shouldn't be expected to be able to cover tight ends? So question to you guys what position can good FS be expected to cover?

So are we saying free safety is not a coverage safety? Tae was the number 1 FS in America now we're saying he shouldn't be expected to be able to cover tight ends? So question to you guys what position can good FS be expected to cover?
There's a big difference between covering ground and lining up across from a guy and covering him. Tae can cover a lot of ground, but for the reasons so eloquently stated by LCE, he's not best suited for lining up across from someone and covering him.

Advertisement
Ideally he wouldn’t cover anyone he’d cover the field. Could he develop the versatility to be able to cover tight ends? Sure. Until then put him single high and let him react to whatever he sees. That’s what he did to be the best safety in the country anyway. Think Malik hooker at Ohio state. Earl Thomas.

Ideally he wouldn’t cover anyone he’d cover the field. Could he develop the versatility to be able to cover tight ends? Sure. Until then put him single high and let him react to whatever he sees. That’s what he did to be the best safety in the country anyway. Think Malik hooker at Ohio state. Earl Thomas.
Ok I agree with this statement. I just didn't understand why some people were suggesting hes bad in coverage or has tight hips based on non padded 1v1s. When I posted D wigg burning juedy badly 3 times at paradise camp I was told that's supposed to happen, that these drills cater to the offense

Ok I agree with this statement. I just didn't understand why some people were suggesting hes bad in coverage or has tight hips based on non padded 1v1s. When I posted D wigg burning juedy badly 3 times at paradise camp I was told that's supposed to happen, that these drills cater to the offense
He can develop and be able to do some of those things possibly but like LCE says, playing safety for Manny Diaz is a full time job workings 12’s. So much responsibility. Lets not overdo it just let him do what’s he’s elite at.

I played CB in HS & College, I'm aware of how Safeties are used in Nickel coverage, especially in Diaz's scheme.

I'm just saying a lot of people see Tae's raw athletic ability & assume he'll be a Dynamo covering WR's/TE's when that's not his strong suit, he doesn't have active hands & he needs a lot of coaching up before he can go out there & asked to cover in Man in open space.

He's at his best when his assignments are clearly defined for him, I don't expect him to be on the field much but in the instances when he is, rotate Hall down to Nickel & let Tae play Deep centerfield in Single High & give him a designated Zone to cover. Basically just tell him don't bite on any underneath routes & roll to any side where the Post route is coming from lol. Safeties in our system have so much responsibility on the backend both vs the run & the pass I just think he's too green to have too much on his shoulders this early in his career.

It's nice reading comprehensible and thoughtful football knowledge for once. Other then standard fan talk, he's fast, and have a 3 cone drill so hes a great punt returner or nickel. If that was the case out of HS in Northern Canada I would have been able to play DIV 1 as a TF.
Appreciate the constant real football talk from you LCE, from one coach to another (and former higher level athlete to another).

Advertisement
I did say a versatile S that can drop into the nickel CB spot. I know what a striker is hence me saying we use a less athletic version of it as a LB/S, which I noted prior that Manny/Banda doesn't seem to prioritize a S that can cover. So you're essentially left with a bigger S with range but little coverage ability; see Frierson.
To be fair to Frierson, he was originally a CB.

Also, why do people say Frierson can't cover?

Th blown coverage by Amari vs UF?

Or the elite speedster Tutu Atwell.

Was he abused at all the rest of the year?

The Patriots weren't the best because they had elite players all over the field. They have been the best team the last decade because their coach knows exactly what his players strengths and weaknesses are and puts them in best position to do what they're strong at, and avoids putting them in situations that asks them to perform what they are weak at.

Advertisement
No and he’ll be more than fine at that position
I personally have Frierson as my breakout player on defense for this year. I think he is going to be a beast.

But I also don't know why people think he can't cover. He actually showed many times last year great coverage.

CBs get bombed all the time, so a Strk getting bombed by UFs fastest WR isn't the worst.

And Tutu makes everyone in D1 look slow. So that shouldn't be a measuring stick.

I personally have Frierson as my breakout player on defense for this year. I think he is going to be a beast.

But I also don't know why people think he can't cover. He actually showed many times last year great coverage.

CBs get bombed all the time, so a Strk getting bombed by UFs fastest WR isn't the worst.

And Tutu makes everyone in D1 look slow. So that shouldn't be a measuring stick.
Frierson takes horrific angles to the ball sometimes and looks lost as **** a lot. I’m waiting and hoping he breaks out

Advertisement
Back