Practise #7 *Aug 14th*

Advertisement
The Patriots weren't the best because they had elite players all over the field. They have been the best team the last decade because their coach knows exactly what his players strengths and weaknesses are and puts them in best position to do what they're strong at, and avoids putting them in situations that asks them to perform what they are weak at.
That and they had the goat qb.

Advertisement
I did say a versatile S that can drop into the nickel CB spot. I know what a striker is hence me saying we use a less athletic version of it as a LB/S, which I noted prior that Manny/Banda doesn't seem to prioritize a S that can cover. So you're essentially left with a bigger S with range but little coverage ability; see Frierson.
A safety that could cover would most likely be playing CB unless you're Sean Taylor. Good luck finding them.

I admit this is super petty but I am happy to see us practicing outside, so far. I feel like we were using the IPF way too much at times and I never understood why that was the case when the weather was fine. Our conditioning will improve outside in that humidity, not in the AC.

Advertisement
That and they had the goat qb.
Technically they have had a two decade run which is frightening in today’s NFL. I had a chance to watch Brady practice once. The guy was a machine. Competitive and his throws were gross. All the time.

Advertisement
Mallory was definitely in over his head early on last year got better on as the year went on but Brevin bring back should help him a lot.

The Patriots weren't the best because they had elite players all over the field. They have been the best team the last decade because their coach knows exactly what his players strengths and weaknesses are and puts them in best position to do what they're strong at, and avoids putting them in situations that asks them to perform what they are weak at.

They won because they had the best player of all time at quarterback.

Advertisement
Earl has corner/nickel skills. He was a RB and CB at west orange stark, went to UT as a 3 star ath. Earl is one of the exceptions not the rule. He can for sure play like earl as a single high but he probably isn’t as versatile

A safety that could cover would most likely be playing CB unless you're Sean Taylor. Good luck finding them.
All I'm referring to when I say a safety that can cover is a guy that doesn't look out of place in coverage; your defense won't get eaten up when the opposing offense puts their best, or shiftiest, player in the slot. As @SouthParkCane just mentioned, Earl Thomas is an example of a S that can cover. Minkah Fitzpatrick, Tyrann Matheiu, Derwin James, Eddie Jackson, etc can as well and they did it in college.

All I'm referring to when I say a safety that can cover is a guy that doesn't look out of place in coverage; your defense won't get eaten up when the opposing offense puts their best, or shiftiest, player in the slot. As @SouthParkCane just mentioned, Earl Thomas is an example of a S that can cover. Minkah Fitzpatrick, Tyrann Matheiu, Derwin James, Eddie Jackson, etc can as well and they did it in college.
And those were all guys who weren’t strictly safeties. Most guys who have only played S growing up don’t have man to man cover skills lol

Advertisement
Back