Practice today

Used to be Umfire on this site.

I got invited to go to practice today. Here’s what I saw, position grade:

QB: A. Loaded. TVD is 1st material. Backups have real talent. TVD was anticipating everything. And then sticking it in a bucket. Enjoy him while he lasts.

RB: A-

TE: A

WR: B+

OL: B

This offense is going to torch people. Top 10 in the country offense.

Defense

DE: B-

DT: C-

LB: C-

DB: B-

Safeties are good to very good. Corners are decent. DL is decent. This is a mid tier ACC defense

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Used to be Umfire on this site.

I got invited to go to practice today. Here’s what I saw, position grade:

QB: A. Loaded. TVD is 1st material. Backups have real talent. TVD was anticipating everything. And then sticking it in a bucket. Enjoy him while he lasts.

RB: A-

TE: A

WR: B+

OL: B

This offense is going to torch people. Top 10 in the country offense.

Defense

DE: B-

DT: C-

LB: C-

DB: B-

Safeties are good to very good. Corners are decent. DL is decent. This is a mid tier ACC defense
What ima say is this.. if the O is top 10 in the nation and they have been going back and fourth with our D ( defense shined scrimmage 1) and the defense is missing many key guys right now, how could you say the D is going to be mid tier ACC? That means the offense ain’t that good either and just had a great day, or you just caught the defense having a bad day with many guys out. Mario said defense gets them some days and offense gets them some days.

What ima say is this.. if the O is top 10 in the nation and they have been going back and fourth with our D ( defense shined scrimmage 1) and the defense is missing many key guys right now, how could you say the D is going to be mid tier ACC? That means the offense ain’t that good either and just had a great day, or you just caught the defense having a bad day with many guys out. Mario said defense gets them some days and offense gets them some days.
Could be a lot of different factors. Are we doing 1s vs 1s or 1s vs 2s. Are we mixing and matching the 1s and 2s trying to see if the younger guys step up. Defense is missing key pieces like you said tho. Both sides are learning new concepts and what not. I wouldn't judge the spring with a fine tooth comb. It's still early with this staff.

Advertisement
It’s also Spring. And Kevin Steele is the real deal. Wouldn’t be surprised if this D looks a lot more ferocious in the fall

I don't think anyone is expecting an elite defense. That said, we almost won out last season on the offense and talent alone. A modest improvement on defense and offense gets us cooking in the ACC.

Advertisement

Fire is old guard, brother. He knows enough to differentiate at the player level who is a JAG, mediocre, good, great and elite. He runs a little too optmisitic at times. But the man knows his football.

@Umfire87 Help us understand the LB situation a little more. Keontra stepping up that much? When we're in 4-3, who were the MLBs and how'd they play?

today he beat Scaife two or three times in one series.
I know he had three sacks in one scrimmage ,one was for sure on Zion, it was an inside move. I believe he had a sack or two today as well . Likely on one of the starters if I had to guess. Imo he still needs some size.

The Nelson reps are more a legit representation of what he'll be facing in pivotal games. Good to see he's doing it against a guy with a huge wingspan, and against multiple guys for that matter.

Advertisement
Back