Practice today

What ima say is this.. if the O is top 10 in the nation and they have been going back and fourth with our D ( defense shined scrimmage 1) and the defense is missing many key guys right now, how could you say the D is going to be mid tier ACC? That means the offense ain’t that good either and just had a great day, or you just caught the defense having a bad day with many guys out. Mario said defense gets them some days and offense gets them some days.
You bring up a good point. The defense is missing several potential starters. Also some solid Portal help coming. So if the defense is say a B- then when the troops arrive we'll be a solid B. After fall practice and better coordination we should be a B+. Trying hard not to be a Homer, but I cannot "Curb My Enthusiasm" :ROFLMAO:

Advertisement
No one should be making any conclusions one way or the other. You've got a new coaching staff in their first spring and they are pulling in players from the portal almost weekly. No Porter or Stevenson at CB in team stuff. Rivers and Campbell same. A starting TE out. Two RBs out. Portal help on the DL with Agunde and Moultrie haven't practiced. More to come. Same for OL. We're in on a LB. Whether you're an optimist or skeptic don't know how anyone can make a conclusion when there are probably 10-15 contributors in the fall who won't take one snap in 11-on-11 in the spring.

I don’t always necessarily agree with all of your opinions, but you always seem to have a balanced view, or at least a thoughtful and thorough one, in every respect.

What you’re saying is exactly right, there is just not enough information about the status of our team, including the availability of specific talent, to be confident in any conclusion or projection.

I hope yall don't expect anything beyond marginal improvement across the board.

One spring cannot offset years of pi$$ poor coaching and a fvcked up culture. It also can't fix glaring talent deficiencies.
That's fair but we have a first round QB and we play the ACC Coastal. Additionally, we upgraded every coach on the staff in theory. Like most fans I think we expect 9+ wins. TAM & Clemson are probably losses, both on the road in very tough environments then I would expect maybe 1 slip up with the rest of the ACC opponents. 9 should be the expectation, anything below is a failure and anything above is slightly ahead of schedule.

One spring cannot offset years of pi$$ poor coaching and a fvcked up culture. It also can't fix glaring talent deficiencies.
Idk, that transfer portal is a beast teams can rise from the ashes.

Your last sentence is key, and why I keep harping about the defensive front seven. My greatest area of concern.

Some concern about cornerback play, and of course our yearly lament - the offensive line, although I think they will be better this year and may surprise.

Advertisement
This offense needs to score 38-plus points per game, to be on the safe side...
Gimme a 60 burger in College Station to pad the average in case we come out a little slow later in the year against Pitt or Vag Tech or something!

Idk, that transfer portal is a beast teams can rise from the ashes.
I think he was talking about the spring game.

The majority of (meaningful) portal reinforcements are coming for fall. And we have key players out for spring

I totally agree... Here are my time frames: Culture changes are immediate (or be gone), coaching impacts within year 1 (spring to spring), talent and depth will sadly take 3 full recruiting cycles (especially in the trenches). NOW, the one unmeasurable factor that will push Miami to the Coastal this year and ACC Champs next year is EVERYONE is Freaking Hungry for this! I mean everyone. The players, coaches, admin, local community, HS coaches, portal players and even college football as a whole. This hunger and desire for Miami to succeed has produced an amazing energy. I've never seen anything like this before. Enjoy the ride because we are just getting started.

When did Deejay Dallas become Black Krrsantan… Hooleeeephuck!
1649700507056.gif

Advertisement

This is CIS where we had very intelligent and unbiased people thinking Díaz would go 15-0. It’s obvious Mario will go 30-0..

Absolutely agree, but I will add that even marginal improvement across the board could mean another win or two based on how close some of our games were last year. And that was with the aforementioned **** poor coaching and fvcked up culture. I think we can get to 9 wins this year and maybe win a bowl game for a change.

This. Years of lazy culture, bad tackling, lackadaisical play, etc takes a while to undo. To expect 11 wins because of this is unrealistic imo. Can it happen? Sure, but that stuff takes a while to unwind and fix.

We could see great improvements in some key areas but overall, I'm still sticking with 9 wins.

Advertisement
I think he was talking about the spring game.

The majority of (meaningful) portal reinforcements are coming for fall. And we have key players out for spring
Way too many pieces missing in spring game that will be here in the fall. Spring game will only give us a glimpse of what to expect. Iam sure of one thing about the spring game. There will be numerous cis hot takes during and after the game.

Normally, the Defense is ahead of a Offense during a spring, especially when the Offense is playing Vanilla. Sure, there are a lot of injuries but I think our Defense is in trouble. I expect the portal to be a short term solution.
The offense has been with their coaches and system longer than the defense. I imagine mental mistakes are abound

Advertisement
We got mollywopped by a team last year that loaded up on the portal and made one of the bigger single season turnarounds youll see...Michigan State.

We've used the portal and are most likely the poster child around CFB re: the portal, but some would say (and by some, I mean me) we should have hammered the portal even harder during the Manny years, unfortunately, we did not have the resources to really mine it to the level we needed to. Mario shows up, hires and puts together an entire department to manage portal transfers and so far, we're hammering the portal. Makes sense.
Didnt we take their portal guy? Think he’s on our staff

Advertisement
Back