Practice today

Advertisement
Bring in 3 OL transfer's, a true #1 WR, development and I would hope for a Top 15. Their is no chance this is a Top 10 O with what we have now and we have TVD. I assume that's a joke. The D this great O is playing against is bad? The D strength is the secondary right now without Rique or Porter. That's our strength. Restrepo who I like, is unquestionably our best WR right now. He is going to catch a lot of 10 yard passes. We need upgrades on both sides of the ball. They would be happier if all 3 starting LB's were the 2nd string. What's behind the 3 starters now is Chase and Wesley. Chase is taking somebody's spot. They are going to have to bring in at least 2 LB's with 3 or more guys leaving. This hype is starting to get to last off seasons level. I hope to have a very different opinion by the end of Fall and I think I will. I just can't lie to myself about the roster at the moment.

Fire is old guard, brother. He knows enough to differentiate at the player level who is a JAG, mediocre, good, great and elite. He runs a little too optmisitic at times. But the man knows his football.

@Umfire87 Help us understand the LB situation a little more. Keontra stepping up that much? When we're in 4-3, who were the MLBs and how'd they play?

I do probably err on the optimistic side, but that’s how I am built.

Flagg and Steed both got time there today (I was only there for about 75 minutes). They are both decent linebackers and that’s kinda the problem.

The whole thing besides coaching with Miami is where are the difference makers? Where are the elite kids?

By elite, I mean top 5 at their position in CFB.

The past 10 YEARS we’ve had maybe 3. Duke, Phillips, maybe Brevin. Maybe Rousseau

BAMA has 3 of these a year.

THAT is a key component between 9 wins and 11.

We have at least 1 this year

Used to be Umfire on this site.

I got invited to go to practice today. Here’s what I saw, position grade:

QB: A. Loaded. TVD is 1st material. Backups have real talent. TVD was anticipating everything. And then sticking it in a bucket. Enjoy him while he lasts.

RB: A-

TE: A

WR: B+

OL: B

This offense is going to torch people. Top 10 in the country offense.

Defense

DE: B-

DT: C-

LB: C-

DB: B-

Safeties are good to very good. Corners are decent. DL is decent. This is a mid tier ACC defense
Compared to our practices in the past, what would you say is different today versus the past few years? Anything stick out to you that would show us this new staff will be different and better? We see the improvements in adding players from the portal ala high expectations, does this staff impress you as superior????? Thank You in advance!

Advertisement
I coached a long time ago. And when kids are checked out, the tone is sleepy. You Can be the best technical teacher in the world, but if the kids are kinda checked out, it’ll go in one ear and out the other.

Manny was a smart guy, no joke. But he didn’t command attention or respect. Mario’s practices are different, as he pushes engagement and intensity from jump

I don't think anyone is expecting an elite defense. That said, we almost won out last season on the offense and talent alone. A modest improvement on defense and offense gets us cooking in the ACC.
Modest is fine as long as we are a long way from worst in college football in tackling. That was ******* embarrassing and should never happen at UM under ANY coaching staff, no matter how remedial they are.

The start of culture change is hopefully well under way to get rid of the prima donna **** that leads to that…

Advertisement

QB: A. Loaded. TVD is 1st material. Backups have real talent. TVD was anticipating everything. And then sticking it in a bucket. Enjoy him while he lasts.

Defense

Safeties are good to very good. Corners are decent. DL is decent. This is a mid tier ACC defense
I’m thinking you’re probably a bit overly optimistic on the OL or the DL is really depleted at the moment.

But maybe you’re being a bit pessimistic on the DB’s and LBs? We all with our own eyes that the OL wasn’t great last year and the DBs were getting torched (not even going to mention LBs)

Can’t underestimate the effect great coaching will have on the OL, but the lack of tackle bodies and overall strength is concerning on paper. As for the CBs and LBs I think they’re more talented than people give them credit for, and you can’t blame them for giving up plays if TVD is really playing at an elite level.

Hope the transfers pan out in the DL, we’re gonna need em

It’s also Spring. And Kevin Steele is the real deal. Wouldn’t be surprised if this D looks a lot more ferocious in the fall
Offense was light years ahead last year.

They actually had a very good offensive staff and depth and it showed.

Defense was exact opposite.

Limited coaching. Limited depth.
And it showed.

Defense will get probably 6 more transfers, 4 months of heavy with Feld, 4 months in Steeles offseason and should be a top 3 ACC defense.

Flagg and Steed both got time there today (I was only there for about 75 minutes). They are both decent linebackers and that’s kinda the problem.

The whole thing besides coaching with Miami is where are the difference makers? Where are the elite kids?

The past 10 YEARS we’ve had maybe 3. Duke, Phillips, maybe Brevin. Maybe Rousseau

What would you say overall about OL?

Advertisement

Thank you, sir. Wish I could have been there. I'm a huge homer so was giving a compliment no being critical. Optimism is a much better way to go through life than pessimism.

I like Steed now that he's healthy, just don't see him inside. Flagg's too slow for top competition. Until someone in the know tells me otherwise, I'll continue to be comfortable riding with the current guys at OLB, but praying for an MLB from the portal. That west coast kid isn't Shaq much less Vilma, but he's a good start.

Agree on the elite. TVD, Chaney if healthy. Then a group of plus kids with All ACC potential. Then a group that needs to be rotational but earned starting nods over guys that are playing at an even worse level. And while I like the 2021 kids, all the blue chippers are a ways away from deserving that adjective.

Bring in 3 OL transfer's, a true #1 WR, development and I would hope for a Top 15. Their is no chance this is a Top 10 O with what we have now and we have TVD. I assume that's a joke. The D this great O is playing against is bad? The D strength is the secondary right now without Rique or Porter. That's our strength. Restrepo who I like, is unquestionably our best WR right now. He is going to catch a lot of 10 yard passes. We need upgrades on both sides of the ball. They would be happier if all 3 starting LB's were the 2nd string. What's behind the 3 starters now is Chase and Wesley. Chase is taking somebody's spot. They are going to have to bring in at least 2 LB's with 3 or more guys leaving. This hype is starting to get to last off seasons level. I hope to have a very different opinion by the end of Fall and I think I will. I just can't lie to myself about the roster at the moment.
We are right on schedule for the offseason.. After spring game next week we start the PR campaign for 15-0 for the rest of offseason.. Should be good times..

Defense

So you're saying we will have to outscore everyone.

Advertisement

Defense

I hope you’re right. With the offense we should have, a mod-tier ACC defense will win us a lot of games.

Defense

My fave part was used to be Umfire.

It’s also Spring. And Kevin Steele is the real deal. Wouldn’t be surprised if this D looks a lot more ferocious in the fall
Normally, the Defense is ahead of a Offense during a spring, especially when the Offense is playing Vanilla. Sure, there are a lot of injuries but I think our Defense is in trouble. I expect the portal to be a short term solution.

Advertisement
Back