Practice fields were crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
49ers: Your field is a bit torn up. Replace it.
U: Works for us . It'll grow back by spring.
49ers: We out.
Locals: U doesn't want to spend the money.
49ers: Oh, we'll pay for it.
U: OK by us.
Dip****s on CIS: The U sucks!

So Miami cultivates a field to their liking at their practice facility and because two NFL teams don't like it this is somehow a poor reflection on Miami??? GTFOHWTBS

That's kinda like visitors to your home not liking your guest bedroom and telling you to redo it.
thats how barry jackson said it too. it wasnt that the field was a bunch of a dirt patches everywhere. the canes prefer a certain mold the nfl didnt like. also, for context, the NFL wants all facilities to resod for SB practices.

Advertisement
I gotta add, I do think the fields should be the absolute best at the professional level. In college, they should be close. Saying dangerous though is up to interpretation. Those of you who played any sport on a field in high school or before, every field was different. Some were absolute **** shows, some wet as **** or hard as concrete. Level or with rollers in it. Injuries happen on pristine fields and turf as well. I doubt looking at our fields it was a mess, but one small depression or missing sod, that's probably an issue at the NFL level.

I know I've seen games at the NFL level where the field was garbage, they still played. Just a few short years ago, they were replacing sod weekly at our stadium. This sounds like much ado about nothing

and the canes re did the entire field last summer. whats your response to that?
I have no opinion either way. I'm just saying if I was Golden's legal counsel, I would use the SanFran's beef with UM as evidence that the practice fields were unsafe. I'm sure UM's counsel will respond accordingly. Frankly, I went to a practice last year at Greentree and the field looked fine to me, but maybe it isn't up to NFL standards.

I have no opinion either way. I'm just saying if I was Golden's legal counsel, I would use the SanFran's beef with UM as evidence that the practice fields were unsafe. I'm sure UM's counsel will respond accordingly. Frankly, I went to a practice last year at Greentree and the field looked fine to me, but maybe it isn't up to NFL standards.

I gotta add, I do think the fields should be the absolute best at the professional level. In college, they should be close. Saying dangerous though is up to interpretation. Those of you who played any sport on a field in high school or before, every field was different. Some were absolute **** shows, some wet as **** or hard as concrete. Level or with rollers in it. Injuries happen on pristine fields and turf as well. I doubt looking at our fields it was a mess, but one small depression or missing sod, that's probably an issue at the NFL level.

I know I've seen games at the NFL level where the field was garbage, they still played. Just a few short years ago, they were replacing sod weekly at our stadium. This sounds like much ado about nothing

it sounds like a nice gossip story during super bowl week. im sure rappaport when he reported it didnt htink it would cause such a stir (to be fair, no one outside of canes fans actually give a **** bout this story)

Advertisement
we have spring practice shortly..... fields in sad shape, blow back from Miami admin bad look...... look cheap what else is new

we have spring practice shortly..... fields in sad shape, blow back from Miami admin bad look...... look cheap what else is new

i doubt it was sad. they recruits there the last few weekends. theyre not showing them torn up fields. its subjective to what was wrong with the fields considering no one reported what was actually seen on the field when they toured it

Advertisement
enough with the “only the 49ers though it was an issue” argument.

The 49ers, the Packers, and the NFL all thought the field was crap and told UM that. The only entity that thought it was acceptable was Miami.

Just like Miami was the only entity that thought it was acceptable not to have an IPF for all those years. Just like they thought it was acceptable to rely exclusively on a pro style offense when the game had moved away from that system.

notice a pattern here? Miami is the problem, not the teams drawing attention to the issue.

That’s not a pattern so no.

Advertisement
I see all the Hecht apologists playing all kinds of semantic word games, setting themselves up as grass experts, and bragging about "getting a free field".

So let's review.

First, let's just ask ourselves...is the new turf better/safer? Is Beta Blake going to rip it out after the Super Bowl? If not, and the new field is better/safer, WHY WOULDN'T HE HAVE ALLOWED IT, NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON WAS? Seriously. Just think about it. Yes, there is a cost, but this is not an 18-hole golf course, this is 1.5 football fields. If the new turf is BETTER/SAFER, why wouldn't you just do it, for no other reason than it is BETTER/SAFER.

Second, let's just think about the basic timeline here. The 49ers didn't just show up on our doorstep. The Super Bowl, and every last detail, is planned out FAR IN ADVANCE. In "return", UM can get a nice PR bump out of allowing its facilities to be used by the NFL, and let's not pretend that Beta Blake wouldn't cite this event in PR materials. ****, he has already claimed credit for the Hard Rock renovations. IF NOTHING ELSE, you can brag about this to all the recruits---"hey, remember when the 49ers won the Super Bowl, this is where they practiced, I tell ya, this is truly NFL-U". Are we really supposed to believe that Beta Blake was caught with his shorts down, that he didn't know that the NFL would be practicing in slow-grass-growth January, that he didn't know the NFL and/or the teams would be inspecting the facilities? I realize that the Super Bowl hasn't been held in Miami for over a decade, but COME ON.

Finally, let's go beyond the "he-said-she-said" on the state of the field, and simply think about the "appearance" and "image" issue, since all the Hecht apologist "media experts" are telling us how this is some obscure story that nobody will read. Let's even pretend that is true. BUT THE REALITY IS, we know the field can be re-sodded in a day and that the underlying issue of field quality can be fixed. However, the PERCEPTION issue lingers. That Miami had a field that the NFL deemed to be too dangerous. That Miami didn't want to fix it. It doesn't matter that the story has a happy ending. It doesn't matter if millions of people read the article. If 130 rival coaches read the article, and then whisper in the ears of the recruits, it has a much more specific and far-reaching impact. THAT we can't fix. It's like people can't even remember Chucky Amato and other coaches telling Lavar Arrington and other recruits about how dangerous Miami is, because one of our players was specifically targeted and killed by a jealous ex-boyfriend of a girl that he was helping out. Perception is reality. Other coaches will dirty-recruit us with anything they can find, so why are is Beta Blake creating ammunition?

I love my alma mater. I'm no mope. There are plenty of times when I have been optimistic and posted positive things about the program. But there is no reason why we should have to look the other way and ignore stupid things that Blake does.

If people think that Lane Kiffin won't use this story (and talk about how he made sure the FAU fields were in perfect condition), then those people are unclear about how recruiting works.

Blake needs to be fired. Immediately.

I see all the Hecht apologists playing all kinds of semantic word games, setting themselves up as grass experts, and bragging about "getting a free field".

So let's review.

First, let's just ask ourselves...is the new turf better/safer? Is Beta Blake going to rip it out after the Super Bowl? If not, and the new field is better/safer, WHY WOULDN'T HE HAVE ALLOWED IT, NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON WAS? Seriously. Just think about it. Yes, there is a cost, but this is not an 18-hole golf course, this is 1.5 football fields. If the new turf is BETTER/SAFER, why wouldn't you just do it, for no other reason than it is BETTER/SAFER.

Second, let's just think about the basic timeline here. The 49ers didn't just show up on our doorstep. The Super Bowl, and every last detail, is planned out FAR IN ADVANCE. In "return", UM can get a nice PR bump out of allowing its facilities to be used by the NFL, and let's not pretend that Beta Blake wouldn't cite this event in PR materials. ****, he has already claimed credit for the Hard Rock renovations. IF NOTHING ELSE, you can brag about this to all the recruits---"hey, remember when the 49ers won the Super Bowl, this is where they practiced, I tell ya, this is truly NFL-U". Are we really supposed to believe that Beta Blake was caught with his shorts down, that he didn't know that the NFL would be practicing in slow-grass-growth January, that he didn't know the NFL and/or the teams would be inspecting the facilities? I realize that the Super Bowl hasn't been held in Miami for over a decade, but COME ON.

Finally, let's go beyond the "he-said-she-said" on the state of the field, and simply think about the "appearance" and "image" issue, since all the Hecht apologist "media experts" are telling us how this is some obscure story that nobody will read. Let's even pretend that is true. BUT THE REALITY IS, we know the field can be re-sodded in a day and that the underlying issue of field quality can be fixed. However, the PERCEPTION issue lingers. That Miami had a field that the NFL deemed to be too dangerous. That Miami didn't want to fix it. It doesn't matter that the story has a happy ending. It doesn't matter if millions of people read the article. If 130 rival coaches read the article, and then whisper in the ears of the recruits, it has a much more specific and far-reaching impact. THAT we can't fix. It's like people can't even remember Chucky Amato and other coaches telling Lavar Arrington and other recruits about how dangerous Miami is, because one of our players was specifically targeted and killed by a jealous ex-boyfriend of a girl that he was helping out. Perception is reality. Other coaches will dirty-recruit us with anything they can find, so why are is Beta Blake creating ammunition?

I love my alma mater. I'm no mope. There are plenty of times when I have been optimistic and posted positive things about the program. But there is no reason why we should have to look the other way and ignore stupid things that Blake does.

If people think that Lane Kiffin won't use this story (and talk about how he made sure the FAU fields were in perfect condition), then those people are unclear about how recruiting works.

Blake needs to be fired. Immediately.

theres an article that did state miami is planning to go abck to their previous truf after the SB.

no one is watching the practice but one of the teams playing on that worldwide stage on Sunday was prepared to tell Miami to **** off because of the status of our practice fields.

If you don’t think that’s a problem, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s not like the program didn’t know SF was coming.
It's also no Miami's job to make sure the 49ers are happy. Since nobody's watching, there's no upside to Miami.

And?!? So?!? I don't give a rat's *** what 2 NFL teams and the league thinks...they dont like it replace it at your own cost...ohhhhhh, they did do that didn't they :unsure:...seems the U came out on top to me 🤷🏿‍♂️
Except now you have former players talking about how players kept getting injured at practice. You have your head in the sand if you don't think, at a minimum, this is something every program will use against us in recruiting. No matter how you spin it, having a public spat with the NFL and two teams over this is not a good look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back