Practice fields were crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im pretty sure we have known for awhile that our facilities would be used by NFC side, like they have been used in the past. So yes, I think it is only fair that those organizations expect to have a safe field to use for their multi million dollar assets. Everyone doesnt run their program like blake n co.
Again, I don't see why the university should spend their money on this. If they have extra money, I can think of a dozen better things to use it on. You know, things that actually benefit the team. Having the field ready for NFL practice does nothing to make Miami a better football team, therefore it's a waste of money and time.

Advertisement
Except now you have former players talking about how players kept getting injured at practice. You have your head in the sand if you don't think, at a minimum, this is something every program will use against us in recruiting. No matter how you spin it, having a public spat with the NFL and two teams over this is not a good look.

This field is a year old. What former players are saying about back in the day is irrelevant.

And all we have to do to negate that “negative recruiting“ is have a kid stand or run on it.

I see all the Hecht apologists playing all kinds of semantic word games, setting themselves up as grass experts, and bragging about "getting a free field".

So let's review.

First, let's just ask ourselves...is the new turf better/safer? Is Beta Blake going to rip it out after the Super Bowl? If not, and the new field is better/safer, WHY WOULDN'T HE HAVE ALLOWED IT, NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON WAS? Seriously. Just think about it. Yes, there is a cost, but this is not an 18-hole golf course, this is 1.5 football fields. If the new turf is BETTER/SAFER, why wouldn't you just do it, for no other reason than it is BETTER/SAFER.

Second, let's just think about the basic timeline here. The 49ers didn't just show up on our doorstep. The Super Bowl, and every last detail, is planned out FAR IN ADVANCE. In "return", UM can get a nice PR bump out of allowing its facilities to be used by the NFL, and let's not pretend that Beta Blake wouldn't cite this event in PR materials. ****, he has already claimed credit for the Hard Rock renovations. IF NOTHING ELSE, you can brag about this to all the recruits---"hey, remember when the 49ers won the Super Bowl, this is where they practiced, I tell ya, this is truly NFL-U". Are we really supposed to believe that Beta Blake was caught with his shorts down, that he didn't know that the NFL would be practicing in slow-grass-growth January, that he didn't know the NFL and/or the teams would be inspecting the facilities? I realize that the Super Bowl hasn't been held in Miami for over a decade, but COME ON.

Finally, let's go beyond the "he-said-she-said" on the state of the field, and simply think about the "appearance" and "image" issue, since all the Hecht apologist "media experts" are telling us how this is some obscure story that nobody will read. Let's even pretend that is true. BUT THE REALITY IS, we know the field can be re-sodded in a day and that the underlying issue of field quality can be fixed. However, the PERCEPTION issue lingers. That Miami had a field that the NFL deemed to be too dangerous. That Miami didn't want to fix it. It doesn't matter that the story has a happy ending. It doesn't matter if millions of people read the article. If 130 rival coaches read the article, and then whisper in the ears of the recruits, it has a much more specific and far-reaching impact. THAT we can't fix. It's like people can't even remember Chucky Amato and other coaches telling Lavar Arrington and other recruits about how dangerous Miami is, because one of our players was specifically targeted and killed by a jealous ex-boyfriend of a girl that he was helping out. Perception is reality. Other coaches will dirty-recruit us with anything they can find, so why are is Beta Blake creating ammunition?

I love my alma mater. I'm no mope. There are plenty of times when I have been optimistic and posted positive things about the program. But there is no reason why we should have to look the other way and ignore stupid things that Blake does.

If people think that Lane Kiffin won't use this story (and talk about how he made sure the FAU fields were in perfect condition), then those people are unclear about how recruiting works.

Blake needs to be fired. Immediately.

Lmao.

Not everyone who thinks this isn't a big deal is this true for, but boy, some of you are so damned concrete about the implications of this that it's no wonder they've hoodwinked us into a lethargic, low effort, below average ACC program over 20 years with implied fan consent.

Not everyone who thinks this isn't a big deal is this true for, but boy, some of you are so damned concrete about the implications of this that it's no wonder they've hoodwinked us into a lethargic, low effort, below average ACC program over 20 years with implied fan consent.

i think thatd be true if they didnt replace the field twice since 2014 (the last time being last year). we really dont know the real issues regarding the field other than the two sides disagreed on what they prefer.

Advertisement
Again, I don't see why the university should spend their money on this. If they have extra money, I can think of a dozen better things to use it on. You know, things that actually benefit the team. Having the field ready for NFL practice does nothing to make Miami a better football team, therefore it's a waste of money and time.
While this is true, you know the NFL is spending a **** of a lot more time and money on safe practice fields to protect their most valuable assets - the players. I do not understand why you would not want to replicate the benchmarks and standards that the industry leader sets. It is akin to a hospital discarding best practices set by the CDC or AHA and doing less than that.

This field is a year old. What former players are saying about back in the day is irrelevant.

And all we have to do to negate that “negative recruiting“ is have a kid stand or run on it.
Is there any aspect of your life in which you are not naive. If Ahmmon Richards, a player who had his career sidelined by injuries and is currently suing the school, is talking about the field conditions and injuries it caused, that is a problem. Your point is fair that it is a new field since then, but this is a new issue. If anything it shows a pattern of unsafe conditions.

Yes, having a player stand on the field will easily refute a team saying "Don't go to Miami. You will be running, cutting, spending most of your time on a field that two NFL teams and the league itself did not meet their safety standards." Sure, not a problem at all. You truly are an absolute nonce.

i think thatd be true if they didnt replace the field twice since 2014 (the last time being last year). we really dont know the real issues regarding the field other than the two sides disagreed on what they prefer.

Cut the crap.

We "replaced" the field last year BECAUSE WE TORE IT OUT WHEN WE BUILT THE IPF.

You act as if someone went out and said "yep, it's time to replace the grass at Greentree".

NEVER HAPPENED THAT WAY.

We tore it all out to create a construction staging area, and then we had to re-sod when the IPF was done.

But, sure, YOU are going to call that a "replacement", as if we did so simply to improve Greentree.

The insanity that some people post on this board.

Right. That's "all we have to do".

A high school kid "standing on it" or "running on it" will obviously just ignore the stated opinion of the NFL and the 2 Super Bowl participant teams.

Yep. That's ALL WE HAVE TO DO to negate negative recruiting, just invite some high school kids to stand on Greentree and pretend that the NFL ever said that the field was unsafe.

Actually, that IS a genius idea, since they will be "standing on" or "running on" the field that the NFL installed, not the old, unsafe Greentree.

BLAKE IS A GENIUS.

Advertisement
While this is true, you know the NFL is spending a **** of a lot more time and money on safe practice fields to protect their most valuable assets - the players. I do not understand why you would not want to replicate the benchmarks and standards that the industry leader sets. It is akin to a hospital discarding best practices set by the CDC or AHA and doing less than that.

Is there any aspect of your life in which you are not naive. If Ahmmon Richards, a player who had his career sidelined by injuries and is currently suing the school, is talking about the field conditions and injuries it caused, that is a problem. Your point is fair that it is a new field since then, but this is a new issue. If anything it shows a pattern of unsafe conditions.

Yes, having a player stand on the field will easily refute a team saying "Don't go to Miami. You will be running, cutting, spending most of your time on a field that two NFL teams and the league itself did not meet their safety standards." Sure, not a problem at all. You truly are an absolute nonce.

It’s not being naïve, it’s not buying into the absurd hyperbole that goes on at this place as the end of the world.

In the past two weeks alone there have been countless threads about Navarro blowing the King signing, Nesta transferring, Pope going to UF, Butch Davis benching Ed Reed after the Penn State game, Williams to Georgia and Baker interviewing with LSU just to name a few. None had a single shred of proof and none came true.

So forgive me for not running around with my hair on fire over a “story” that will I’m the end will. have zero effect in future recruiting, despite all the apocalyptic screams from the usual mope squad.

If you took the time to think, you’d see that 99% of all college football fields right now are either dirt or buried in snow. By spring our field will be fine and ready for use.

And as far as Ahmon Richards is concerned, he was injured in a game not at practice. The fact that he is suing the school has nothing to do with our practice field. If he is talking about injuries to so many players, let him name them, not speak in generalities.

Here's a turf management professional's opinion from reddit:
I have a degree in turf management! I’m on the golf course side of things but I have a pretty good understanding on what goes into sports turf as well,,.took some classes with the guy that does Jack Trice Stadium for Iowa State (extremely well regarded field that has won best in the country multiple times.)
Edit: I’m not an expert in warm season grasses (which is what grows in Florida,) but they were most likely using Bermuda grass, possibly Bahia, but I’ll assume it’s Bermuda. Bermuda thrives in hot temperatures, typically around 85-95F degrees during the day, and will stop growing at temperatures under 60F, hence why it’s great for Florida. What usually leads to a field being deemed “unsafe” is poor rooting that leads to bad footing, or too much compaction leading to a hard playing surface.
If they’ve had this growing for a year, I don’t see why, especially with professionals doing the grow-in, the field wouldn’t be in good enough condition to practice on. Bermuda is crazy quick to establish which is why it’s so widely used in sports fields in the south. Unless Miami got a lot of rain during peak growing times (June-August,) they should be fine even though Bermuda’s growth slows down tremendously in September-May.

I think the worst look in all of this is not that the field wasn't up to par, but that the University initially balked at changing it.

I'm kinda shocked the NFL and Niners/Green Bay didn't just bounce at that. It's almost like they were trying to save Blake from himself.

It goes without saying, Blake is a loser.

I think the worst look in all of this is not that the field wasn't up to par, but that the University initially balked at changing it.

I'm kinda shocked the NFL and Niners/Green Bay didn't just bounce at that. It's almost like they were trying to save Blake from himself.

It goes without saying, Blake is a loser.

Agree, let's not let the nuances of turf management distract us from the fact that Blake needs to go.

Advertisement
Old heads....was greentree turf ever discussed back in the day? Just curious

What? Miami had grown a field they liked and wanted, but they're supposed to incur the cost of replacing it to make an NFL team happy...in what business model does that make sense?

"When the 49ers and Packers visited prior to last week, the field was deemed unsafe in accordance with NFL standards. When the league conducted its testing, those officials agreed with the initial sentiments."

So two NFL franchises and the league itself all determined that the field was unsafe, yet we still have Hecht shills and nitwits on here defending UM.

It's embarrassing for the highest level of football to come onto your campus and unanimously conclude your facility is unsafe for athletes.

Well, embarrassing if you have any ounce of pride, at least. This doesn't seem to be an issue for the shills, homers, and dingbats, though.

Miami continues to conduct itself like a second-rate program and it receives second-rate results, but our homer fans will continue to clap for every 2 star recruit we land, dumb hire we make, or bush league move we conduct, and still wonder why things don't change.

I hate you all.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It’s not being naïve, it’s not buying into the absurd hyperbole that goes on at this place as the end of the world.

In the past two weeks alone there have been countless threads about Navarro blowing the King signing, Nesta transferring, Pope going to UF, Butch Davis benching Ed Reed after the Penn State game, Williams to Georgia and Baker interviewing with LSU just to name a few. None had a single shred of proof and none came true.

So forgive me for not running around with my hair on fire over a “story” that will I’m the end will. have zero effect in future recruiting, despite all the apocalyptic screams from the usual mope squad.

If you took the time to think, you’d see that 99% of all college football fields right now are either dirt or buried in snow. By spring our field will be fine and ready for use.

And as far as Ahmon Richards is concerned, he was injured in a game not at practice. The fact that he is suing the school has nothing to do with our practice field. If he is talking about injuries to so many players, let him name them, not speak in generalities.
1) So we are now lumping an article from ESPN, local media, etc. that is a fact with a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors? Just want to check how far the rabbit hole we are going to defend our AD. Apparently it was Ed Reed possibly being benched 19 years ago. No one is saying this is the end of the world or to shut the program down. People are saying it is just another way that 1) our AD looks cheap and 2) our AD looks incompetent.
2) The field's condition is ancillary. The bigger issue is the school got into a public spat with the NFL and two of its teams that had to be mediated. It is amateur hour and bush league. Further, you are naive if you don't think this would come up in recruiting. Whether it changes anyone's mind, who knows, but we have enough chips stacked against us with bags and our inability to develop players.
3) None of those other fields are supposed to be hosting NFL teams or Super Bowl practices. This was not a last minute thing that they sprung up on the school. So the fact that other schools are under snow or not usable right now is 100% irrelevant and a straw man argument to end all straw man arguments.
4) I am going to go with Kaaya and Richards experience and first hand knowledge over you talking out of your *** to defend BJ and Hecht.

We fired Coker
We fired Shannon
We fired Golden
We fired Richt
...little did we know it was the sneaky field guy all along.

What? Miami had grown a field they liked and wanted, but they're supposed to incur the cost of replacing it to make an NFL team happy...in what business model does that make sense?
I dont think anyone has a problem w UM balking at paying. Its the fact that they didnt even think their field was substandard that's the issue. You have 2 NFL teams and the league itself telling you your field is a POS and your response is, "Yeah, well it took us a year to grow that POS and we like it."

No bueno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back