Practice 3

We should really start campaigning for Pete to take over for Susan.

Advertisement
Susan could have the wrong player. Just saying!!!

why would you listen to anything she says?

Because when its the start of camp, you are looking for Hurricanes news and updates, currently all you have at the moment is the person who is paid to professionally report on the hometown sports team for a news publication like the Herald. Give me Pete all day and everyday and if he isn't available let's get the BEAST in there. Anyone know a person of power at the Herald?

From PORTER

CORAL GABLES — This isn’t to say Braxton Berrios won’t be back there if Miami punts against Bethune-Cookman.

(OK, Miami’s probably not punting against Bethune-Cookman. At least, you wouldn’t think.)

But maybe Berrios will be the guy to return punts again, as he has been the last two seasons. He’s done fairly well in that regard, finishing 12th nationally and fourth in the ACC in return average (11.32) last year. He was one of 17 players nationally to return two punts of 40-plus yards.

But Miami rolled out a pair of true freshmen in punt return drills Thursday, which could be seen by the media during our daily practice viewing. Jeff Thomas and DeeJay Dallas fielded punts, under the eye of several Miami coaches, as a full special teams unit ran through its paces.

Berrios — a reliable senior who could have a larger role in the passing game this year — was in coverage as the newcomers caught ’em and jogged upfield. Both looked quick and agile, though each had a few stumbles. Running backs coach Thomas Brown had a few encouraging words for Dallas after a drop. Thomas, as noted in yesterday’s reports, looks like a player who will contribute early.

Like all freshmen, he’s still finding his way. During position-specific drills later in the morning, receivers coach Ron Dugans went hard on Thomas during a shuffle-around-the-defender-and-catch-a-pass drill. The issue, it seemed, was his footwork. Thomas was last in line and had to run the drill again. Those at the front of the line, with the steps down pat: Berrios, Ahmmon Richards, Lawrence Cager, Dayall Harris and Dionte Mullins.

As for the punters, true freshman Zach Feagles produced a few impressive bombs. Compared with redshirt sophomore Jack Spicer, Feagles seems to have the stronger leg, with more hang time, a tighter spiral on most reps, and though he isn’t Justin Vogel-accurate, he was dropping them with reasonable consistency around the goal line.

* Quote of the day: offensive line coach Stacy Searels, who demanded his men shoot their hands with force during a pass-blocking drill. “I want you to break sternums,” he told them.

* Injury report: True freshman linebacker Waynmon Steed (knee) continues to run off to the side during media viewing. True freshman offensive lineman Zalon’tae Hillery (boot on right ankle/foot) and linebacker Michael Pinckney, a sophomore and projected starter, were riding bikes. Running back Robert Burns (shoulder) remains in a green (no contact) jersey.

Advertisement
Any update on the "non-moving leg?"

images

From PORTER

CORAL GABLES — This isn’t to say Braxton Berrios won’t be back there if Miami punts against Bethune-Cookman.

(OK, Miami’s probably not punting against Bethune-Cookman. At least, you wouldn’t think.)

But maybe Berrios will be the guy to return punts again, as he has been the last two seasons. He’s done fairly well in that regard, finishing 12th nationally and fourth in the ACC in return average (11.32) last year. He was one of 17 players nationally to return two punts of 40-plus yards.

But Miami rolled out a pair of true freshmen in punt return drills Thursday, which could be seen by the media during our daily practice viewing. Jeff Thomas and DeeJay Dallas fielded punts, under the eye of several Miami coaches, as a full special teams unit ran through its paces.

Berrios — a reliable senior who could have a larger role in the passing game this year — was in coverage as the newcomers caught ’em and jogged upfield. Both looked quick and agile, though each had a few stumbles. Running backs coach Thomas Brown had a few encouraging words for Dallas after a drop. Thomas, as noted in yesterday’s reports, looks like a player who will contribute early.

Like all freshmen, he’s still finding his way. During position-specific drills later in the morning, receivers coach Ron Dugans went hard on Thomas during a shuffle-around-the-defender-and-catch-a-pass drill. The issue, it seemed, was his footwork. Thomas was last in line and had to run the drill again. Those at the front of the line, with the steps down pat: Berrios, Ahmmon Richards, Lawrence Cager, Dayall Harris and Dionte Mullins.

As for the punters, true freshman Zach Feagles produced a few impressive bombs. Compared with redshirt sophomore Jack Spicer, Feagles seems to have the stronger leg, with more hang time, a tighter spiral on most reps, and though he isn’t Justin Vogel-accurate, he was dropping them with reasonable consistency around the goal line.

* Quote of the day: offensive line coach Stacy Searels, who demanded his men shoot their hands with force during a pass-blocking drill. “I want you to break sternums,” he told them.

* Injury report: True freshman linebacker Waynmon Steed (knee) continues to run off to the side during media viewing. True freshman offensive lineman Zalon’tae Hillery (boot on right ankle/foot) and linebacker Michael Pinckney, a sophomore and projected starter, were riding bikes. Running back Robert Burns (shoulder) remains in a green (no contact) jersey.

I don't think he has a good grasp on how punts and punt returns work....

If Pickney is injured I say it is not a big deal as long as he is ready by the F$U game.

As for Thomas and Dallas getting reps at PR, it was expected. They have a lot of speed. Hopefully they can secure the ball as well. I am still thinking Berrios should field the majority of the punts but of course that can change as the season progresses.

Advertisement
:11263323514_39174f1
From PORTER

I don't think he has a good grasp on how punts and punt returns work....

WTF, this is terrible. WORST BEAT WRITERS IN THE COUNTRY.

Last edited:
If Pickney is injured I say it is not a big deal as long as he is ready by the F$U game.

As for Thomas and Dallas getting reps at PR, it was expected. They have a lot of speed. Hopefully they can secure the ball as well. I am still thinking Berrios should field the majority of the punts but of course that can change as the season progresses.

**** fsu. The season doesnt revolve around them.

Advertisement
Advertisement
And again with the meaningless order of QB's

[TWEET]893100962264600578[/TWEET]

Will it still be meaningless when the guy you think should be the starting QB is number 1 in the individual drill order?

I don't understand your question. Right now, I don't know who's going to be number one, I don't have any preference, I want the guy that wins practices, scrimmages, classroom and film room. That's the guy that I want to be the starting quarterback, and I don't know who that is yet.

Advertisement
Back