Potential OCs under Butch Davis

Wouldnt surprise me if Butch brought back Coker in some sort of offensive role.

Advertisement
Tyson Helton, OC, WKU.

Florida native.
38-years-old.
2014: Top 10 in total offense and scoring offense.
2015: Top 10 in total offense and scoring offense.
WKU's two best offensive seasons in program history came under Helton.

Let's find the next Lincoln Riley.

Butch comments on our team and a potential UM offense:

"I have seen probably a couple 100 of their plays," Davis said. "I got a chance to watch a significant amount of their game on Friday. Brad Kaaya is a fabulous quarterback. He has great ability, he is mobile, and he has a tremendous arm. Not being in a meeting room with him and not knowing his offense, it does appear that he doesn't force throws and he is accurate with the football. The receivers made some fantastic plays. They appear to be talented there. They have been able to create turnovers and get some interceptions. One of the issues that they have had over the course of some years is I think they are rated No. 80 in total defense. When you look at the top ten teams in America, there is a couple of common threads. I think seven of the top ten run pro-style offenses and a pretty significant amount of the top ten teams are rated in the top 30 in defense...You can't play bad defense. That is an area where all teams need to improve and be better."

"I have seen probably a couple 100 of their plays," Davis said. "I got a chance to watch a significant amount of their game on Friday. Brad Kaaya is a fabulous quarterback. He has great ability, he is mobile, and he has a tremendous arm. Not being in a meeting room with him and not knowing his offense, it does appear that he doesn't force throws and he is accurate with the football. The receivers made some fantastic plays. They appear to be talented there. They have been able to create turnovers and get some interceptions. One of the issues that they have had over the course of some years is I think they are rated No. 80 in total defense. When you look at the top ten teams in America, there is a couple of common threads. I think seven of the top ten run pro-style offenses and a pretty significant amount of the top ten teams are rated in the top 30 in defense...You can't play bad defense. That is an area where all teams need to improve and be better."

Just hire the guy and let him get started. I highly doubt we'd get herman or Patterson. Butch is the next best thing.

Advertisement

Just hire the guy and let him get started. I highly doubt we'd get herman or Patterson. Butch is the next best thing.

Oh we can get those guys if we try something tells me wont try though because they are stupid

What about Sonnie Cumbie or Doug Maechem from TCU? They are currently splitting the job and maybe one of them wants their own gig?

They fit in the pipe dream category.

I see Butch sticking with a pro-style guy but maybe he surprises us and changes it up.

Well if hes the smartest coach ever as wveryone likes to lable him as here be would throw that pro style crap out the window and go with a spread guy

No one never said he was smartest coach.....pro still works just like the spread just need the correct coach to run it

His point on our Defense is dead on. It really is common sense. There is absolutely no excuse for Miami not to be a top 30 Defense. Goes to show you how horrific Golden and D O'onofrio were on that side of the ball. Funny thing is Golden was far more involved with the Offense than the Defense.

Last edited:
Scurrilous comment aside, I don't see anything wrong with a HC that prefers to run first. This has been a winning formula for decades - as long as you can produce a strong running game.

RBs under Butch the first time around: Danyell Ferguson (inherited from Erickson, but a solid back), James, Davenport, Portis, Jackson, McGahee, Payton

That's a better group than what any other HC has produced during a tenure....

If he is the HC, he will find big-time RBs again (it's not exactly difficult to do in Florida)....

Amazing how all of u miss a simple fact. BUTCH BELIEVES ON A STRONG RUNNING GAME, AND THEN PASS. wake up mental midgets its the philosophy of the head ciach not the OC.

Advertisement
What about Sonnie Cumbie or Doug Maechem from TCU? They are currently splitting the job and maybe one of them wants their own gig?

I see Butch sticking with a pro-style guy but maybe he surprises us and changes it up.

Well if hes the smartest coach ever as wveryone likes to lable him as here be would throw that pro style crap out the window and go with a spread guy

No one never said he was smartest coach.....pro still works just like the spread just need the correct coach to run it

I dont think you have been reading the board recently, and what does the number one team in the nation run? Michigan runs a power run pro style and get their sh¡t pushed in when they play a good team, and iowa hasnt played anyone good and almost lost to a team that we beat, **** if baylor didnt have so many injuries at the QB position they would probably be in the top 5, same can be said with TCU and their injuries, the spread is the way to go, especially with the type of athletes we have down here, we need to be a spread team

I dont think you have been reading the board recently, and what does the number one team in the nation run? Michigan runs a power run pro style and get their sh¡t pushed in when they play a good team, and iowa hasnt played anyone good and almost lost to a team that we beat, **** if baylor didnt have so many injuries at the QB position they would probably be in the top 5, same can be said with TCU and their injuries, the spread is the way to go, especially with the type of athletes we have down here, we need to be a spread team

Iowa and Clemson are both undefeated...both run a base pro-style offense. Oklahoma has an Air-Raid offense with a base pro-style element...Alabama runs a pro-style offense with less use of TE's....those are your current play off teams...we don't NEED to be a spread team...Only thing we NEED to do is win the line of scrimmage.

Side Note, the #1 team in the nation DOESN'T run a spread offense, they run a pistol offense

Last edited:
Tyson Helton, OC, WKU.

Florida native.
38-years-old.

He was born in Florida but played high school and college ball in Texas.
What do you guys think of having Ken Dorsey and Tyson Helton as Co-OC's together?

Advertisement
Tyson Helton, OC, WKU.

Florida native.
38-years-old.

No thanks. Brohm is the main reason for WKUs offense.
Helton could be another Coley for all we know.

I agree 100% about whatever it is we call our defense, but I wonder what list he is using for top ten teams, I count 5 at best which are prostyle. Bama, Iowa, MSU, Stanford, and you can throw in FSU. For spread I have Clemson, Okla, Ohio St, UNC, and Notre Dame...

Love what Stoops has done as a defensive coach and how he even said he had to get back to roots and go back to air raid. That offense is Humming again. He was close to being Les miles/Richt'd but smartened up and went and got a bright offensive mind in Lincoln Riley. And for people who dont understand offense check the numbers, they run it very well just as much as whatever team who runs prostyle

Advertisement
Regarding Pep Hamilton..

You guys realize he was fired by Chuck Pagano right? After he was fired news a lot negative news leaked about Hamilton. Like that Hamilton was too rigid in play calling, his schemes were lacking, etc etc.

You think after all of that Hamilton will go work for Pagano's good friend and mentor Butch Davis? Lol

One name to watch for:

Scott Turner, son of Norv and best friend of Chud. He is Minnesota QB coach and has been working under his father/chud for years and is very well regarded.

If chud doesn't get a HC job this year and take him with him I can see Chud recommending him to Butch (that is if Butch gets the job)

Trashes Pep, then pimps out Scott Turner...makes sense.
[MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] - how about some names...

I think seven of the top ten run pro-style offenses and a pretty significant amount of the top ten teams are rated in the top 30 in defense

Butch is right about most current Top 10 teams being ranked in the Top 30 in defense, but he's wrong about the pro-style offense claim.

Top 10 teams with variations of the spread (based on Week 12 playoff rankings): Clemson (#1), Oklahoma (#3), Notre Dame (#6), Baylor (#7), Ohio State (#8)

Also worth noting, 11-20: Oklahoma State (#11), North Carolina (#14), Oregon (#17), Ole Miss (#18), TCU (#19), Washington State (#20)

Advertisement
Back