Potential OCs under Butch Davis

Advertisement
Well hasn't it been said that Butch would bring Dorsey? I know most people don't want a first timer but that's probably what we're looking at.

I'm good with Dorsey. Think we get him on the cheap, he will develop into a quality OC under Butch, and he can possibly be HC one day.

Butch comments on our team and a potential UM offense:

I think seven of the top ten run pro-style offenses and a pretty significant amount of the top ten teams are rated in the top 30 in defense

Butch is right about most current Top 10 teams being ranked in the Top 30 in defense, but he's wrong about the pro-style offense claim.

Top 10 teams with variations of the spread (based on Week 12 playoff rankings): Clemson (#1), Oklahoma (#3), Notre Dame (#6), Baylor (#7), Ohio State (#8)

Also worth noting, 11-20: Oklahoma State (#11), North Carolina (#14), Oregon (#17), Ole Miss (#18), TCU (#19), Washington State (#20)

Clemson and Oklahoma are more of a base pro with spread elements. You're forgetting that ND is no longer top 10. Add in FSU.

I think seven of the top ten run pro-style offenses and a pretty significant amount of the top ten teams are rated in the top 30 in defense

Butch is right about most current Top 10 teams being ranked in the Top 30 in defense, but he's wrong about the pro-style offense claim.

Top 10 teams with variations of the spread (based on Week 12 playoff rankings): Clemson (#1), Oklahoma (#3), Notre Dame (#6), Baylor (#7), Ohio State (#8)

Also worth noting, 11-20: Oklahoma State (#11), North Carolina (#14), Oregon (#17), Ole Miss (#18), TCU (#19), Washington State (#20)

Clemson and Oklahoma are more of a base pro with spread elements. You're forgetting that ND is no longer top 10. Add in FSU.

Huh?

Advertisement
I have no issue with gambling on Dorsey. What scares the **** out of me is not the initial risk but rather the necessary action that would have to be taken if Dorsey is sub-par. Would Butch fire his former star player? We better pray Dorsey is good because I think he'll be given significant time to succeed.

Huh?

That was the old top 10. Baylor and Notre Dame both lost and will both likely fall out of the top 10. FSU will move into the top 10. Don't know who the new top 10 team will be. Maybe UNC. Worst case 6 of the top 10 area pro style teams, even if we conclude that Clemson and Oklahoma are spread teams, which they are not (more like base pro style with spread elements).

Mark Richt might be a good fit as OC and QB coach... looks like he wants to cool his heels off a bit... from his radio interviews

Huh?

That was the old top 10. Baylor and Notre Dame both lost and will both likely fall out of the top 10. FSU will move into the top 10. Don't know who the new top 10 team will be. Maybe UNC. Worst case 6 of the top 10 area pro style teams, even if we conclude that Clemson and Oklahoma are spread teams, which they are not (more like base pro style with spread elements).

Is there even a debate about this?

Explain to me how they are "base pro-style", Ill sit and listen.

Advertisement
I have no issue with gambling on Dorsey. What scares the **** out of me is not the initial risk but rather the necessary action that would have to be taken if Dorsey is sub-par. Would Butch fire his former star player? We better pray Dorsey is good because I think he'll be given significant time to succeed.

Butch should've fired John Shoop but he didn't. Butch could always bring in 2 guys to be co-OCs.

What do the top 10 offenses run? Some of those teams may have a ****** defense but that doesn't mean their offense is bad.

"I have seen probably a couple 100 of their plays," Davis said. "I got a chance to watch a significant amount of their game on Friday. Brad Kaaya is a fabulous quarterback. He has great ability, he is mobile, and he has a tremendous arm. Not being in a meeting room with him and not knowing his offense, it does appear that he doesn't force throws and he is accurate with the football. The receivers made some fantastic plays. They appear to be talented there. They have been able to create turnovers and get some interceptions. One of the issues that they have had over the course of some years is I think they are rated No. 80 in total defense. When you look at the top ten teams in America, there is a couple of common threads. I think seven of the top ten run pro-style offenses and a pretty significant amount of the top ten teams are rated in the top 30 in defense...You can't play bad defense. That is an area where all teams need to improve and be better."

In reference to the quote above and some of the comments I've read around the board:

"Pro Style" is as broad of a term as "Spread." We need to remember that the common thread in all Pro Style offenses is the ability to play with multiple personnel/formation groupings; multiple tempos; etc. A Pro Style offense is a grabbag of what is being played around your league. The NFL is fairly uniform in this sense; you see differences where personnel dictates differences. The idea is that you want to be good at everything that you can be good at. Really, what being multiple benefits more than anything else, is your defense.

I've heard many wise coaches say that your defense should be built to stop your offense (it's a fluid concept). Again, if your're Pro Style on offense, that means that you're multiple. It means that you strive to be good in as many formation/personnel groupings as possible. A defense that faces a pro style offense on a daily basis is consistently being tested in multiple ways. You're getting diverse looks, you're getting good diverse looks. Generally, in spring/fall camp, before you even begin practicing for an opponent, your offensive/defensive platoons are just trying to beat the other. By the time you start practicing for specific opponents, you've already prepared for a large percentage of your schedule ("outliers" like GT exist on most team's schedules).

Butch's comments about being Pro Style and being good on defense go hand in hand. There are other factors at play here, like tempo, ball control, run/pass balance, etc., but the biggest factor--in my opinion--is that you have the opportunity to structure your team in a way that allows your defense to regularly get a ton of good diverse looks in practice. A productive and talented pro style offense is generally going to help produce a better defense than an Outlier offense would. Here's the caveat: It's really hard to field a great pro-style offense. When you try to be good at a lot, many times you end up being good at nothing. You need a lot of depth at a lot of positions; you need a quarterback; you need a coach who can quickly figure out what his players are good at (or have the vision to recruit players that fit a skeleton Pro Style system).

Don't know if it's been said, but what about Richt as OC? He just got done saying how he misses being a QB coach and calling plays. It seems like he doesn't really want to deal with being a HC and all the BS it entails. It seems to me he just wants to do his thing on offense and let someone else handle the responsibilities of HC.

So, If he was willing to come here as a OC, we know that he has had success with QBs and as an OC, we know he's a good recruiter. Do you guys want him? I'd say **** yes. I do really want Dorsey, but I'd for sure take Richt as Butch's OC, without a doubt.
**** man I don't like Schiano at all, but **** sign him as Butch's DC, and we have an all star Coaching lineup already. Just keep Beard.

Last edited:
Advertisement

"I have seen probably a couple 100 of their plays," Davis said. "I got a chance to watch a significant amount of their game on Friday. Brad Kaaya is a fabulous quarterback. He has great ability, he is mobile, and he has a tremendous arm. Not being in a meeting room with him and not knowing his offense, it does appear that he doesn't force throws and he is accurate with the football. The receivers made some fantastic plays. They appear to be talented there. They have been able to create turnovers and get some interceptions. One of the issues that they have had over the course of some years is I think they are rated No. 80 in total defense. When you look at the top ten teams in America, there is a couple of common threads. I think seven of the top ten run pro-style offenses and a pretty significant amount of the top ten teams are rated in the top 30 in defense...You can't play bad defense. That is an area where all teams need to improve and be better."

In reference to the quote above and some of the comments I've read around the board:

"Pro Style" is as broad of a term as "Spread." We need to remember that the common thread in all Pro Style offenses is the ability to play with multiple personnel/formation groupings; multiple tempos; etc. A Pro Style offense is a grabbag of what is being played around your league. The NFL is fairly uniform in this sense; you see differences where personnel dictates differences. The idea is that you want to be good at everything that you can be good at. Really, what being multiple benefits more than anything else, is your defense.

I've heard many wise coaches say that your defense should be built to stop your offense (it's a fluid concept). Again, if your're Pro Style on offense, that means that you're multiple. It means that you strive to be good in as many formation/personnel groupings as possible. A defense that faces a pro style offense on a daily basis is consistently being tested in multiple ways. You're getting diverse looks, you're getting good diverse looks. Generally, in spring/fall camp, before you even begin practicing for an opponent, your offensive/defensive platoons are just trying to beat the other. By the time you start practicing for specific opponents, you've already prepared for a large percentage of your schedule ("outliers" like GT exist on most team's schedules).

Butch's comments about being Pro Style and being good on defense go hand in hand. There are other factors at play here, like tempo, ball control, run/pass balance, etc., but the biggest factor--in my opinion--is that you have the opportunity to structure your team in a way that allows your defense to regularly get a ton of good diverse looks in practice. A productive and talented pro style offense is generally going to help produce a better defense than an Outlier offense would. Here's the caveat: It's really hard to field a great pro-style offense. When you try to be good at a lot, many times you end up being good at nothing. You need a lot of depth at a lot of positions; you need a quarterback; you need a coach who can quickly figure out what his players are good at (or have the vision to recruit players that fit a skeleton Pro Style system).

these are all good points. at Miami you can load up on WRs and RBs. no problem. the challenge is OL and QB.

I want a program that always plays great defense first. we will always have skill guys on offense that are NFL bound. finding the right QB and OL should always be the difference between being pretty good and elite

Butch should've fired John Shoop but he didn't. Butch could always bring in 2 guys to be co-OCs.

Just hoping we're not in another Golden-Dorito situation

THANK YOU!

It seems many are missing the fact that most NFL offenses incorporate A LOT of spread concepts into their offenses. The distinction between pro-style and spread is extremely murky due to significant overlap. I know Golden has abused the term "multiple" to the point that we don't wanna hear it around here. But that is exactly what a pro-style system is -- multiple.

Advertisement
Tyson Helton, OC, WKU.

Florida native.
38-years-old.
2014: Top 10 in total offense and scoring offense.
2015: Top 10 in total offense and scoring offense.
WKU's two best offensive seasons in program history came under Helton.

Let's find the next Lincoln Riley.

I would LOVE this guy at Miami.

Kendall Briles from Baylor, Art Briles son. His first year as OC and he's done a great job. Google Baylor's WR splits and imagine that with the type of talent we have.

Details like that are foreign language to old coach like Butch. Baylor's stuff is new and innovative and I can guarantee Butch has zero clue about the intricacies of it.

Advertisement
Back