Potential depth chart changes moving forward

Advertisement
McCloud needs to just be done with football. Great kid. Not a power 5 caliber player imo. He’s noticeably bad.
I've been banging this drum since before the season started, I knew we would be in big trouble if he was one of our starting LBs. The recruiting at some positions on this team has been an absolute travesty, LB, WR and CB have been glaringly bad.

Freshman Flagg ends up being closer to the receiver instead of Senior McCloud, even though the receivermoves towards the side of McCloud after the snap.

McCloud has no idea what the **** is going on.

I know people are hating on Flagg but he was actually in position more often than not on Saturday. He forced a Lawrence sack by beating him to the edge and making him turn back in.

I forget who ended up with the sack but the play was made by Flagg recognizing what Lawrence was doing and getting out to him.

I know people are hating on Flagg but he was actually in position more often than not on Saturday. He forced a Lawrence sack by beating him to the edge and making him turn back in.

I forget who ended up with the sack but the play was made by Flagg recognizing what Lawrence was doing and getting out to him.
The play I was commenting makes everything about our linebackers glaringly obvious.

Brooks points to the TE, Flagg reads the RB and then follows Lawrence, while McCloud goes TE first and then bites so hard on the play fake (dont ask me why, I have no clue) that Flagg ends up being closer to the TE.

In short: The young guys know whats going on, the senior is completely lost. At least they admitted after the game that the young guys will play more.

Advertisement
Lashlee might need to go old school "full house" and have Davis, Knighton, and Cheney in the game at the same time. Add a double TE set and pick the fastest receiver to just run fly patterns to take a defender with him.

I'd like to see just a little bit of creativity when the team is struggling to move the ball. Inside zone run, inside zone run, incomplete pass might not always be the best formula for success.
I would like to see the Rooster in the slot on some plays. Would be a nice wrinkle to the offense!

I would like to see the Rooster in the slot on some plays. Would be a nice wrinkle to the offense!
I've been saying it. Ain't I been saying it, Miguel? Been saying it for 10 **** years.

ONLY AT MIAMI would we squander a talent like his by burying him on the bench behind 2 other RBs.

Meanwhile, we're fielding the worst WR corps in our history, have no return game, and can only score against terrible defenses that bust on coverages allowing easy TDs. But no...Knighton must wait his turn smh.

There is a reason Smashlee has bounced around at programs like UCONN, SMU and Miami (Fla), and there's a reason Likens never graduated to OC. These guys are dolts.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I believe it was Phillips who finished the play with a sack but it was definitely Flagg who made the play by ACTUALLY SETTING THE EDGE and funneling the scrambling quarterback back towards the middle of the field. I don't know if McCloud and Jennings are just too slow to get to the outside and they have to take bad angles to try to get to the runner or if they just don't know what the **** they're doing but a true freshman linebacker handled things a lot better than they do. I think Flagg played a solid game and showed some really nice instincts. He was able to diagnose and attack a few plays and showed an ability to get off blocks and weave through traffic to get to the ball carrier. Nothing Earth shattering but when linebacker play has been so bad, just being solid is a huge step up.

I was baffled at how Flagg (true frosh) was screaming down hill at pulling guards before they even opened their hips to pull, but McCloud (5th year senior) let’s a guard cross his face before he figures out what’s going on. Flagg instinctually is advanced as a TF but this is more explicative of 53 than 11.

Phillip’s sack on Lawrence was ALL Flagg. He was screaming downhill to the perimeter to get proper leverage on that pulling guard to stop TL from getting outside the pocket. Kid made that play against the top team in the country and McCloud hasn’t made that play in 5 years. Thank you for your dedication but the writing is on the wall.

Let the better kids play, enough of this seniority bull****.

Advertisement
Another thing I always see these linebackers do, (even Pink and Shaq) is Boofoo each other.

They come downhill only to square up single file. WHY are you standing behind your fellow defender (directly correlated to lack of gap integrity) instead of scraping? Terrible LB coaching. This is high school stuff. Simple, principle, linebacker play. And it is not being beaten into their minds at the University of Miami.

Of all positions at Miami, **** linebacker play has to be one of the most unacceptable. And it’s not like corner where we aren’t super talented. We have plenty of horses at LB. Coach them up for ***** sake.

This defense is tough to watch. The DL and LB basically are allowed to play like mercenaries and our safeties have a thousand responsibilities.

We can clown McCloud a million times for this play, and rightfully so, but I still have to question coaching and preparation.

We see this same exact concept in high school all the time. Somehow I got 16-18 year old kids who cover that H-back coming across the formation, but an 8th year Senior LB in major D1 football can't see it?

That H-back is a vital part of that formation and more often than not, he crosses the formation to block and/or run a route. We teach our LB's to key that guy, even if he's on the other side of the formation. Where's McCloud's eye discipline?

I'm really tired of seeing **** like this because we're getting nickel-and-dimed to death by simple a$$ ****. OC's must laugh at us after watching game film. We look so ill prepared for a lot of basic concepts. We're never "DIALED IN". This isn't the first time I've seen our LB's running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

A LB's feet can tell you everything you need to know.
Your feet follow your eyes. If his feet are all over the place, that means his eyes are too. (translation: he doesn't know WTF is going on)

How do we continue to look ill prepared for simple a$$ concepts?
Why are we so easy to fool?
Same **** we saw in the VT game last year when we let their TE have a career day.
**** is frustrating.

We can clown McCloud a million times for this play, and rightfully so, but I still have to question coaching and preparation.

We see this same exact concept in high school all the time. Somehow I got 16-18 year old kids who cover that H-back coming across the formation, but an 8th year Senior LB in major D1 football can't see it?

That H-back is a vital part of that formation and more often than not, he crosses the formation to block and/or run a route. We teach our LB's to key that guy, even if he's on the other side of the formation. Where's McCloud's eye discipline?

I'm really tired of seeing **** like this because we're getting nickel-and-dimed to death by simple a$$ ****. OC's must laugh at us after watching game film. We look so ill prepared for a lot of basic concepts. We're never "DIALED IN". This isn't the first time I've seen our LB's running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

A LB's feet can tell you everything you need to know.
Your feet follow your eyes. If his feet are all over the place, that means his eyes are too. (translation: he doesn't know WTF is going on)

How do we continue to look ill prepared for simple a$$ concepts?
Why are we so easy to fool?
Same **** we saw in the VT game last year when we let their TE have a career day.
**** is frustrating.
Could not agree more with this post. The poor coaching on the defense is GLARING. I get it if guys are maybe over matched athletically. But when they cannot read simple keys or even line up properly then they have no shot. This is a coaching issue. And it's not like this is only happening to 53, its happening everywhere!!!

Advertisement
I don't understand why we didn't see any of Redding vs. Clemson. I didn't see him get any targets, and I believe he had very few if any snaps.
Per Barry Jackass, Redding got ZERO snaps. After making a couple of nice plays against FSU, we reward him with not a single snap while Wiggins continues to dog it, and Pope and Harley add nothing of value.

I believe it was Phillips who finished the play with a sack but it was definitely Flagg who made the play by ACTUALLY SETTING THE EDGE and funneling the scrambling quarterback back towards the middle of the field. I don't know if McCloud and Jennings are just too slow to get to the outside and they have to take bad angles to try to get to the runner or if they just don't know what the **** they're doing but a true freshman linebacker handled things a lot better than they do. I think Flagg played a solid game and showed some really nice instincts. He was able to diagnose and attack a few plays and showed an ability to get off blocks and weave through traffic to get to the ball carrier. Nothing Earth shattering but when linebacker play has been so bad, just being solid is a huge step up.
If Flagg is merely competent, he'll be a huge upgrade over Jennings, who spends more time on his back than a garage mechanic.

Jennings is now The Mechanic. We should get Jennings one of those boards with wheels that the old school mechanics use to slide themselves under cars. At least with wheels on the board he'll be faster.

Relies on our slow *** receivers to run a good route or you're asking King to consistently make some of the harder throws which we haven't seen he can do.
We don't have slow receivers. Getting open is not just about speed. It's also about moves and playing thru the physicality.

In a post prior to the game, I questioned whether our WRs would play thru Clemson's physicality. Clemson's corners play physical. They often hold and grab. You can't go crying to the refs like at least one of our WR complained their corner was too physical. You have to use that physicality against them by fighting thru it and then getting separation. None of our WRs did that.

Let me be clear, I place full blame on the coaching staff for what happened in Clemson.

If I was in charge, here's the 2-deep for Pitt.

QB King/TVD
RB Harris/Chaney
WR Knighton/Restrepo
WR Smith/Payton
WR Redding/Worsham
TE Jordan/Mallory
LT Campbell/Rivers
LG Nelson/Traore
OC Gaynor/Clark
RG Scaife/Reed
RT Williams/Washington

Notable omissions: Perry, Burns, Harley, Pope, Wiggins

DE Roche/Harvey
DT Hunte/Blissett
DT Miller/Silvera
DE Phillips/Williams
LB Brooks/Cave
LB Flagg/Huff
ST Frierson/Smith
CB Blades/Dunson
CB Couch/Clarke
SS Hall/Balom
FS Bolden/Harrell

Notable omissions: Ford, McCloud, Jennings, Steed, Carter, Ivey

9 new starters...all freshmen or sophomores.

Advertisement
Back