Post 2001 Linebacker Tradition

no offense, but no. vilma was not a big guy when he got here. he wasn’t even big when he left. Beason was a ‘former safety.’. Ray Lewis was not big when he got here.

Folks make this too complicated. LB is about instincts and physicality. Plenty of big guys can’t move or go in the wrong direction. The idea it’s all different today is BS. We went to a striker spot, which ain’t a size increase. Anyone who thinks ray lewis or LT couldn’t play today, just go back to your lego set.
You named one player. Look at the players who we are discussing. The notion that McCarthy, McIntosh, Beason or even Morgan were all traditional size for a linebacker. The Rohan Marley, Sean Spence, John Vilma is the exception not the rule. My whole point in starting this thread is we don't have these type of big athletes at that position right now.

Advertisement
Jon was starving himself to weigh 205-210....in high school...and playing both ways.

We are legitimately bringing in guys for LB that weigh 185-190. (Huff/Troutman).

Ive questioned Manny's LB evals since he has been here.
This is the same point I'm trying make gogeta. People keep cherry picking 1 or 2 small linebackers we have had in the past to counter my point. Jon arrived as a safety the same way Allen Bailey arrived as a linebacker meaning neither were ever playing those positions.

no offense, but no. vilma was not a big guy when he got here. he wasn’t even big when he left. Beason was a ‘former safety.’. Ray Lewis was not big when he got here.

Folks make this too complicated. LB is about instincts and physicality. Plenty of big guys can’t move or go in the wrong direction. The idea it’s all different today is BS. We went to a striker spot, which ain’t a size increase. Anyone who thinks ray lewis or LT couldn’t play today, just go back to your lego set
This 100%

Miami has been known for using smaller linebackers for decades. Darrin Smith played at 215. Ray Lewis played at 225. Vilma was 215 on a good day. Nate Webster was 225. If you go down the list of all time great linebackers at Miami, most are going to be guys who weighed under 230.

Miami, like almost everyone else these days, prioritizes speed and athleticism at linebacker. Now, would it be nice to sign a bunch of unicorns who are 6’3” 245 and run 4.4? Of course but those guys are incredibly rare. So you sign guys who are 200 but can run and cover and change direction and put them in your strength and nutrition program to get them unto 220-225 after a year or two. It’s all about versatility now. Even the NFL is shifting that direction. Hybrid players who can play multiple positions and line up in different spots are the new priority.

Wait until James Williams gets on the field and we don’t know what to call him because he’s playing safety, linebacker, striker and defensive end.

You named one player. Look at the players who we are discussing. The notion that McCarthy, McIntosh, Beason or even Morgan were all traditional size for a linebacker. The Rohan Marley, Sean Spence, John Vilma is the exception not the rule. My whole point in starting this thread is we don't have these type of big athletes at that position right now.
Our problem at LB has not been size, it’s been lack of kids who can play LB. No one is talking about Rohan, either. Spence amd Vilma were legit NFL LBs. Our problem is the staff hasn’t evaluated kids well, not that the kids are too small.

Advertisement
Our problem at LB has not been size, it’s been lack of kids who can play LB. No one is talking about Rohan, either. Spence amd Vilma were legit NFL LBs. Our problem is the staff hasn’t evaluated kids well, not that the kids are too small.
Agree to disagree. Imo size is a talent. I think everyone would agree our O line has been too small the past 3 or 4 years and size influences play. We have recruited the Wilder, Huff types and those guys literally haven't contributed. It's not just that our backers are small they aren't even particularly athletic or strong. You cant have small, slow, unxeplosive players at that spot.

Jon was starving himself to weigh 205-210....in high school...and playing both ways.

We are legitimately bringing in guys for LB that weigh 185-190. (Huff/Troutman).

Ive questioned Manny's LB evals since he has been here.

I’m all for bringing in grace/brooks type of guys but you also have to bring In some Denzel like thumpers.

I’m all for bringing in grace/brooks type of guys but you also have to bring In some Denzel like thumpers.
Yup the problem has been poor evals and injuries.

They skated by on being able to have Quarterman,Pinkney,Mcloud for 4 years. Didndt once recruit above them or guys to challenge.

Even in this class its a bit weird the lb recruiting...I LOVE BISSANTHE (Miami Central)...but who else are they really really in on. The kid from Gulliver isn a linebacker in my mind or play style. Hes not a pysical tackler...he has the coverage ability though and definately is athletic as he plays WR for Gulliver.

Advertisement
Agree to disagree. Imo size is a talent. I think everyone would agree our O line has been too small the past 3 or 4 years and size influences play. We have recruited the Wilder, Huff types and those guys literally haven't contributed. It's not just that our backers are small they aren't even particularly athletic or strong. You cant have small, slow, unxeplosive players at that spot.
Size is not talent. There are big stiffs and small thumpers. We have just evaluated terribly at LB. These days, coverage matters more than ever, anyhow.

Huff wasn’t particularly small for a LB prospect. Nor Wilder. They needed time in S&C and some kids develop better than others, but Huff’s shortcoming is instincts and knowing what to do. Wilder, we know what happened there.

Our best LBs haven’t been huge coming in. Not Lewis, not Beason, not Darrin Smith, Armstead, Vilma, Russell, Gooden, Rocky, Spence, Webster.

And LB is different from OL. But our OL issues have not been size, just talent. Donaldson is huge, Rovers is, Campbell amd Scaife are certainly big. Reed’s a solid size. Nelson is. Having to play Nelson as a true frosh was an embarrassment, but he’s not undersized as an upperclassman.

McDermott wasn’t undersized, Darling wasn’t, St. Louis wasn’t, Bunche, Flowers, Seantrel, Feliciano, Isidora, Linder. Hillery and Herbert aren’t too small, just not good.

If we don’t evaluate well, we’ll keep getting guys who don’t develop well enough and don’t play well enough. Been sayin so for two decades.

Size is not talent. There are big stiffs and small thumpers. We have just evaluated terribly at LB. These days, coverage matters more than ever, anyhow.

Huff wasn’t particularly small for a LB prospect. Nor Wilder. They needed time in S&C and some kids develop better than others, but Huff’s shortcoming is instincts and knowing what to do. Wilder, we know what happened there.

Our best LBs haven’t been huge coming in. Not Lewis, not Beason, not Darrin Smith, Armstead, Vilma, Russell, Gooden, Rocky, Spence, Webster.

And LB is different from OL. But our OL issues have not been size, just talent. Donaldson is huge, Rovers is, Campbell amd Scaife are certainly big. Reed’s a solid size. Nelson is. Having to play Nelson as a true frosh was an embarrassment, but he’s not undersized as an upperclassman.

McDermott wasn’t undersized, Darling wasn’t, St. Louis wasn’t, Bunche, Flowers, Seantrel, Feliciano, Isidora, Linder. Hillery and Herbert aren’t too small, just not good.

If we don’t evaluate well, we’ll keep getting guys who don’t develop well enough and don’t play well enough. Been sayin so for two decades.

Huff likely came in at 185...He was small. Definately needed the shirt...and time to learn the position a bit. Hes about to hit the ground running..he needs live reps. He is active on specials.

No need to misrepresent what I was saying. I said size is a talent not the only talent. You look at the SEC or even Ohio state backers they don't sacrifice size or speed we shouldnt have to either. To your point we took players like Wilder, and Huff because we missed on other guys. I also pointed out big fast linebackers are out there you just may have to leave the state. Colin's from Tulsa, and Davis from Kentucky are examples of 2 or 3 star guys who were recruited because they had height, weight, and speed and became 1st round picks. If our d line and secondary is big and fast why can't our backers be?

Huff likely came in at 185...He was small. Definately needed the shirt...and time to learn the position a bit. Hes about to hit the ground running..he needs live reps. He is active on specials.
Rivals losted him at 6’3”, 200 lbs. that’s not particularly small for LB recruits. They may overstate things but they do that broadly, not just for him.

Advertisement
No need to misrepresent what I was saying. I said size is a talent not the only talent. You look at the SEC or even Ohio state backers they don't sacrifice size or speed we shouldnt have to either. To your point we took players like Wilder, and Huff because we missed on other guys. I also pointed out big fast linebackers are out there you just may have to leave the state. Colin's from Tulsa, and Davis from Kentucky are examples of 2 or 3 star guys who were recruited because they had height, weight, and speed and became 1st round picks. If our d line and secondary is big and fast why can't our backers be?
This is wrong also. We took those giys because Manny was coaching backers and evaluated poorly. Huff was supposed to be a great athletic prospect, and he committed in May (early) per rivals. Wilder was an athletic prospect we focused on and who camped with us iirc. I didn’t like him as a LB prospect but the staff focused on him and obviously felt differently.

We found some big fast LBs under Dorito, also. And Randy. Manny just didn’t recruit the spot well.

Rivals losted him at 6’3”, 200 lbs. that’s not particularly small for LB recruits. They may overstate things but they do that broadly, not just for him.
I know him personally. He wasnt that big he had to build him self up to what we see right now of around 215.

I know him personally. He wasnt that big he had to build him self up to what we see right now of around 215.
Makes sense. Just saying that’s not unusual for so fla lb recruits. We’ve done well in the past with kids who were around his size, imo.

Anyhow, hope he figures it out.

Advertisement
Makes sense. Just saying that’s not unusual for so fla lb recruits. We’ve done well in the past with kids who were around his size, imo.

Anyhow, hope he figures it out.
yea i think he will..if you watched specials he always brought some intensity. Him and the Camden LB really flash their speed a few times when they were in.

Kinda wish T WILL had a chance to coach em up...Im indifferent to Manny and Patke as lb coaches

yea i think he will..if you watched specials he always brought some intensity. Him and the Camden LB really flash their speed a few times when they were in.

Kinda wish T WILL had a chance to coach em up...Im indifferent to Manny and Patke as lb coaches
Agreed. Liked TAC as a prospect.

Miami has been known for using smaller linebackers for decades. Darrin Smith played at 215. Ray Lewis played at 225. Vilma was 215 on a good day. Nate Webster was 225. If you go down the list of all time great linebackers at Miami, most are going to be guys who weighed under 230.

Miami, like almost everyone else these days, prioritizes speed and athleticism at linebacker. Now, would it be nice to sign a bunch of unicorns who are 6’3” 245 and run 4.4? Of course but those guys are incredibly rare. So you sign guys who are 200 but can run and cover and change direction and put them in your strength and nutrition program to get them unto 220-225 after a year or two. It’s all about versatility now. Even the NFL is shifting that direction. Hybrid players who can play multiple positions and line up in different spots are the new priority.

Wait until James Williams gets on the field and we don’t know what to call him because he’s playing safety, linebacker, striker and defensive end.
Nate was 235 at UM at 6'0....statistically the best Tackling LBer in UM History not named Brophy....300+ Tackles in only 22 games is stupefying....When Nate hit you...you were going down...not Drug around like Shaq was vs UNCs QB, who did that to Shaq numerous times....

Advertisement
Back