Post 2001 Linebacker Tradition

I think there really is no Miami defense without our linebackers. We've had great safeties, D linemen, and corners but man o man the linebackers are the ones I remember the most. How we're where we are now I have no idea. There's absolutely no excuse to be trotting out what we had at lb last year and again this year. Wake the **** up Manny, there is no real Miami D without serious heat at LB. How he's not all in on fixing that position I dunno.

Advertisement
I'll certainly take that mixed bag over the current defense that gets owned in back-to-back games(seasons) by the same exact team/offense.
Not really the case at all. They held North Carolina to under 100 yards in 2019. It’s actually pretty similar to Randy’s results against a team that never threw the ball.

Advertisement
Not really the case at all. They held North Carolina to under 100 yards in 2019. It’s actually pretty similar to Randy’s results against a team that never threw the ball.
Okay. But then UNC ate our lunch the following year.
Did you just contradict my point with something that's equally as bad? lol

You're saying this defense doesn't get owned by the same opponent in back-to-back seasons?

No it hasn’t.
You Lie Harry Potter GIF by Sky

Wisconsin says hi.

Their grocery bagging QB is still throwing TD's on us right now.

Advertisement
Okay. But then UNC ate our lunch the following year.
Did you just contradict my point with something that's equally as bad? lol

You're saying this defense doesn't get owned by the same opponent in back-to-back seasons?
I was trying to find a game where we got ran over in back to back seasons and I couldn’t find one.
Besides, my original point was that we didn’t shut down Georgia Tech when Spence was here. At least not consistently. ****, one of the good games we had against them was under Dorito.

Armstead/Barrow/DSmith would have absolutely killed it in todays game. Those are the types of LBs you need now to combat these new age offenses. They were ahead of their time.
That’s true. ESPN had an article recently about the shift in philosophy at the linebacker position. Jimmy Johnson was moving 215 lb safeties to linebacker 30 years ago

Advertisement
I was trying to find a game where we got ran over in back to back seasons and I couldn’t find one.
Besides, my original point was that we didn’t shut down Georgia Tech when Spence was here. At least not consistently. ****, one of the good games we had against them was under Dorito.
Wisconsin put up 70 points and 800plus yards of offense on them in back to back seasons as Macho pointed out.

Wisconsin put up 70 points and 800plus yards of offense on them in back to back seasons as Macho pointed out.
They did give up 400 total yards in back to back seasons against Wisconsin in 2017-2018 seasons.

You Lie Harry Potter GIF by Sky

Wisconsin says hi.

Their grocery bagging QB is still throwing TD's on us right now.

You know you were painting it like some kind of regular occurrence. This is your ace in the hole, obvious example of some kind of indinctment?

Advertisement
It just comes down to recruiting priorities. Manny has a hard on for DL and Safeties and has not prioritized LB recruiting. Stars aren't everything, but the last 4 star LB we signed was Avery Huff in 2019 if I'm not mistaken. And before that it was Shaq and Zach in 2016.

And that won't cut it in today's college football world where spreading, speed and spacing are key. Yeah, you need the big boys upfront, but you just as much need the second level guys who can cover sideline to sideline and stop the gash plays with huge YAC potential. You leave the cleanup duties to the Safeties and you're in a world of trouble.

LB is so core to our history and success, but we've neglected the position the past 5 years and we can't keep doing that if we want to take that next step.

It just comes down to recruiting priorities. Manny has a hard on for DL and Safeties and has not prioritized LB recruiting. Stars aren't everything, but the last 4 star LB we signed was Avery Huff in 2019 if I'm not mistaken. And before that it was Shaq and Zach in 2016.

And that won't cut it in today's college football world where spreading, speed and spacing are key. Yeah, you need the big boys upfront, but you just as much need the second level guys who can cover sideline to sideline and stop the gash plays with huge YAC potential. You leave the cleanup duties to the Safeties and you're in a world of trouble.

LB is so core to our history and success, but we've neglected the position the past 5 years and we can't keep doing that if we want to take that next step.

The year we took Steed was weird for LB evaluations (2017 class) Top 7 ranked OLB's are as follows:
1. Baron Browning drafted in the 3rd round (bad for a player ranked top 10 overall)
2. Dylan Moses undrafted from Bama.
3. Willie *** Jr drafted late 2nd round which is good eval
4. VanDarius Cowan ended up transferring from Bama, still could be good but has problems getting on the field between injuries and misconduct.
5. Drew Singleton has started 3 games between his JR/SR year, after transferring from Michigan to Rutgers
6. Levi Jones ended up transferring from USC to NCST. JAG
7. Markail Benton ended up transferring from Bama to Deion Sander's squad.

If you notice, 3 backers from Bama, all in the top 7 of OLB's of the nation, and the best one, who some called a generational talent at one point, just went undrafted. Stars aren't going to help us. We just need to stop trying to convert so many tweeners into 4-3 LB's, or change-up how we're coaching those guys.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back