Portal QB Wishlist

we'll get whatever QB Marcus Arroyo likes, and we'll have to deal with it..
Whoever is this years Graham Mertz is who we will get. A dude no one else wants who wants to play P5. Then we will spend all offseason doing mental gymnastics convincing ourselves he will play different here because of our OL, TE and blah blah blah.

Advertisement
Whoever is this years Graham Mertz is who we will get. A dude no one else wants who wants to play P5. Then we will spend all offseason doing mental gymnastics convincing ourselves he will play different here because of our OL, TE and blah blah blah.

I mean…He has played different. He's actually been pretty good for UF. 8.1yppass…17/2 ratio. With average wide receivers (although the Frosh looks like a beast) and an average (at best?) OL.

We beat NC State with UF Graham Mertz for sure.

Can y’all stop? For real. The way offense has been recruited we just need an improvement in decision making and accuracy. Would a stud be awesome? Of course but somebody like Dequan Finn or even Joey Aguilar from App state give this team a tremendous upward tick. We’re turnover free football from being undefeated with this team. A lot of y’all are forgetting that.

Can y’all stop? For real. The way offense has been recruited we just need an improvement in decision making and accuracy. Would a stud be awesome? Of course but somebody like Dequan Finn or even Joey Aguilar from App state give this team a tremendous upward tick. We’re turnover free football from being undefeated with this team. A lot of y’all are forgetting that.
Heck, remove 50% of the INTs are we likely are undefeated or 8-1.

Advertisement
I'm shocked no one had tried to hire that coach yet. If you can do what he is doing at Kansas dude is a miracle worker.
I thought he'd end up at Wisconsin, given he's from Wisconsin and dominated D3 at Whitewater. They did fine with Fickell. Thought Nebraska would be an option too and they did fine with Rhule.

Michigan State will come calling if they haven't already. Not sure what other jobs open this off-season but he should be priority 1 in all of them. Indiana seems logical geographically but I wouldn't take that job. A&M probably won't go that route but he would crush it there.

Assuming Tyler doesn't rebound and comes back next year, (there's still a small chance I think) the question is what qualities would a "Mario Cristobal" QB possess? Or rather, what qualities does a QB need to overcome a Mario Cristobal offense?

Hands the ball off the right way

I thought he'd end up at Wisconsin, given he's from Wisconsin and dominated D3 at Whitewater. They did fine with Fickell. Thought Nebraska would be an option too and they did fine with Rhule.

Michigan State will come calling if they haven't already. Not sure what other jobs open this off-season but he should be priority 1 in all of them. Indiana seems logical geographically but I wouldn't take that job. A&M probably won't go that route but he would crush it there.

Same here. I think it will come down to MSU vs Arkansas for him.

Advertisement
Undersized OU qb Gabriel should be in the portal. Sooners expected to go with 5 star qb Jackson Arnold next year. Gabriel has reached his ceiling there. He can return to OU if he wants to be a backup

Advertisement
I mean…He has played different. He's actually been pretty good for UF. 8.1yppass…17/2 ratio. With average wide receivers (although the Frosh looks like a beast) and an average (at best?) OL.

We beat NC State with UF Graham Mertz for sure.
Do not fret friend, I have zero doubt you will find a way to justify that type of a pickup and the subsequent 6 to 7 wins it would lead us to

I wouldn’t get carried away and say pretty good 😂. He’s ranked ahead of us a little but the gator is 46th in yards per pass and he’s the only one throwing balls there. Max Browne came in for 1 play recently when Mertz had to sit a play out. Yes he’s better than he was at Wisconsin. He’s throwing very short passes. I’d like to see the YAC numbers.

IMG_1660.jpeg

Advertisement
I wouldn’t get carried away and say pretty good 😂. He’s ranked ahead of us a little but the gator is 46th in yards per pass and he’s the only one throwing balls there. Max Browne came in for 1 play recently when Mertz had to sit a play out. Yes he’s better than he was at Wisconsin. He’s throwing very short passes. I’d like to see the YAC numbers.

View attachment 265211

Pretty good definitely applies…He's been an above average QB. Which was kinda unexpected.

Has faced Utah, Tenn, Ga, UK defenses in 4 out of his 9 games.

SP+ currently has those teams

14, 20, 4, 19

FEI

5, 19, 15, 21

Guess our disagreement is in the definition of "pretty good". Top 25-30 QB this year imo.

Pretty good definitely applies…He's been an above average QB. Which was kinda unexpected.

Has faced Utah, Tenn, Ga, UK defenses in 4 out of his 9 games.

SP+ currently has those teams

14, 20, 4, 19

FEI

5, 19, 15, 21

Guess our disagreement is in the definition of "pretty good". Top 25-30 QB this year imo.
The gator just lost at home to 2-6 Arkansas with a better game day coRch than us, as hard as that is to concede. Mertz isn’t making the difference here…. Unless he takes a knee on his own against GT.

The gator just lost at home to 2-6 Arkansas with a better game day coRch than us, as hard as that is to concede. Mertz isn’t making the difference here…. Unless he takes a knee on his own against GT.

Huh? He has 9 less interceptions than Van Dyke? Some of them to open receivers where has under thrown the ball 7-10 yards? Mertz's play this year beats NC St. Comparing TVD to even Graham Mertz the last 3-4 games is just not accurate. TVD is totally lost right now.

And no shame in an OT loss to Ark, who has lost by 3 to LSU, 7 to Ole Miss, and 3 to Bama. Neither team is very good. I had Arkansas in the game and got in great at +6 in a game that closed basically 3 everywhere. I mean unless we are talking about the top teams, **** happens every week. They beat Tennessee at home. Tennessee is a borderline top 20 team, Gators are a top what? 35-40 team? Could a better QB have made a difference, yes…Has QB play been a problem? No not at all, Graham Mertz has worked out well for them.

Is Mertz making a monster Michael Pennix type "difference"? God no, of course not…But it doesn't take much to be better than TVD the last month. Just stop throwing to the wrong team…Hit uyour wr in the flat in stride for a change…Oh and of course his new thing…Don't freeze and hold the ball for about 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back